MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By andreat668 Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:47 am
Workflow and having an actual hardware are very important factors and that's what stops allot of people to full produce music sorely on a computer/laptop.
Personally I still use Ableton. logic and PT almost daily, but not anymore to fully produce songs.
I use them for sound design, mixing and mastering that's it.
I sold pretty much all my midi controllers and shit and I am not looking back at all.
Having hardware for the creative process allows me to built a very strong connection with what I am doing.
Also the creative flow is much more resilient to distractions and literally it stops when I want.
By andreat668 Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:57 am
And probably the most important factor that everyone is overlooking:
your computer is a generic machine which in a short time it is not going to perform like when you buy it new.
Software updates are going to slow it down to a point like 5/10 years max you will have to trash it or keep obsolete software in it to make it work at a minimum level.
Mpc's and Force are going to be around for much more, because they are a closed and self sufficient system.
Updates are much more sparse, and they are from just 1 manufactorer.
Computers from the 80's been trashed many years ago, while your trusty MPC 60... :smoker:
By djst Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:36 am
emdog wrote:I feel you, but I can't help but think that it's just lack of self control and laziness that prevent from mapping out controllers that have MPE and far better control, as well as fighting of distractions on the computer.

The same kind of reasoning can be applied to many other creative environments, but studies have shown that this isn't the way the brain works. It needs a lot more nudging than we're often willing to admit.

For example, why is it that studies have shown that people are more focused if they simply leave their mobile phone turned off in a separate room, compared to leaving it turned off in the same room that they're in? How can such a small and illogical detail make a difference - the phone is turned off in both of those cases? Or why is it that studies have shown that the way you design offices can lead to different types of creative conversations among colleagues? It's the same colleagues, same incentives and same compensation, yet our brains seem very receptive of nudging in the most trivial ways.

The reality is that there are so many aspects of how the brain works that may seem illogical, and neuroscience is still a relatively young field. But we know that these things make a massive difference. So, while you are theoretically correct that it should be possible to be just as disciplined in any environment, the reality of how the brain works means that it isn't true in practice. The more your environment is optimized for the output you're looking to achieve, the more likely you are to achieve it. You have to find what works for you and just because someone else is more productive in a, to you, seemingly less than optimal environment, doesn't mean that they are lazy or lack self control.
By zangetsu01 Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:22 pm
djst wrote:
The same kind of reasoning can be applied to many other creative environments, but studies have shown that this isn't the way the brain works. It needs a lot more nudging than we're often willing to admit.

For example, why is it that studies have shown that people are more focused if they simply leave their mobile phone turned off in a separate room, compared to leaving it turned off in the same room that they're in? How can such a small and illogical detail make a difference - the phone is turned off in both of those cases? Or why is it that studies have shown that the way you design offices can lead to different types of creative conversations among colleagues? It's the same colleagues, same incentives and same compensation, yet our brains seem very receptive of nudging in the most trivial ways.

The reality is that there are so many aspects of how the brain works that may seem illogical, and neuroscience is still a relatively young field. But we know that these things make a massive difference. So, while you are theoretically correct that it should be possible to be just as disciplined in any environment, the reality of how the brain works means that it isn't true in practice. The more your environment is optimized for the output you're looking to achieve, the more likely you are to achieve it. You have to find what works for you and just because someone else is more productive in a, to you, seemingly less than optimal environment, doesn't mean that they are lazy or lack self control.

I love this post..!!

Some people think that we want the arranger or the new mixer because we are simply being lazy and don't wan't to use the MPC as it is. While that's not true at all.

The truth is that we can be productive with the MPC as it is but let me give them an example that might complement your post:

For example we can build or beats just by using the grid editor (Thats the way I do it right now). To copy my first 16 bars to bars 17 to 32 I'll either have to:

1) select all the notes and copy them and before I hit paste I have to be sure to have the ruler at bar 17 and also make sure that I've tapped the right note before I hit paste or else I'll have to transpose all those notes either upwards or downwards.

I could also:

2) Go to the main view, go the sequence section, hit the pencil tool and go in to the "copy bars section" and set it to copy bars 1 till 17 after bar 16 (and keep my fingers crossed that I didn't mess up while setting it up or it might lead to an messed up beat).

In example 1) I'll have to be careful not to hit paste before I set the ruler at the right position and and not to hit paste before I hit the right pad.

In example 2) I'll have to leave grid editor mode and go to a totally different section of the MPC to get it done.

In both examples it feels like I have to take unnecessary steps where I might lose focus to reach a simple goal.

Now here comes example 3:

3) If we had arranger mode I could zoom out to a helicopter view of multiple tracks select the bars that I want to copy and paste them where ever I want. And because I've got a helicopter view of multiple tracks in arranger mode, I can also copy bars from one track to another.

As Andy Mac would say: 'Now that's powerful!'

And here comes the bridge to your post:

Example 1, Example 2 and Example 3 are all methods to reach the same goal but all trough an different approach.
Tough all three of them are different, example 3 gives me the possibility to quickly experiment with copying and pasting bars in the same track or even between tracks that might lead to an totally different outcome than examples 1 and 2. And I don't even have to leave the mode I'm in to accomplish that.

It's the same MPC but because of the way the environment (software) is optimized for the output I am trying to achieve, it can lead to different types of creative results.

Arranger + new mixer = supreme workflow enhancement.
By djst Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:27 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
I love this post..!!

Some people think that we want the arranger or the new mixer because we are simply being lazy and don't wan't to use the MPC as it is. While that's not true at all.

The truth is that we can be productive with the MPC as it is but let me give them an example that might complement your post:

For example we can build or beats just by using the grid editor (Thats the way I do it right now). To copy my first 16 bars to bars 17 to 32 I'll either have to:

1) select all the notes and copy them and before I hit paste I have to be sure to have the ruler at bar 17 and also make sure that I've tapped the right note before I hit paste or else I'll have to transpose all those notes either upwards or downwards.

Thanks for teaching me something new! I've always wondered why sometimes the copy/paste job ends up being transposed to a random note. Now I know why.

Another thing I learned today was that you can select notes and just hit the Copy (physical) button and it will automatically paste immediately after the selection. I think it doesn't transpose either.

(I 100% agree that the arranger helicopter view would be amazing.)
By Bezo Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 pm
I'm hoping for a DAW in a box, so bring on the features. I've always used a DAW and see them as the next best thing to using a board & other hardware.

But the software has a way to go to be comparable to the most popular DAWs, so not there yet.
By Ultros Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 pm
What bothers me most is people who come from daws to the MPC wishing it was and trying to make it operate like their favorite daw rather than mastering its current workflow which is almost identical to the workflow that its always had.

Clearly people dont like the MPC for being an MPC. It's not good enough its the most powerful stand alone beat machine you can buy next to the force which is about equal in what it can and cant do.

The MPC isnt ableton, its not fruityloops, its not reason, its its own device and the sooner people start to wrap their minds around that the MPC is what it is and has always been with some bells and whistles the better off they're be when using it.

To those of us who actually like the MPC's work flow these requests are blasphemy. Don't mess with the flow of the MPC thats grounds for a LYNCHING.
By KaoticShock Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:31 pm
Ultros wrote:What bothers me most is people who come from daws to the MPC wishing it was and trying to make it operate like their favorite daw rather than mastering its current workflow which is almost identical to the workflow that its always had.

Clearly people dont like the MPC for being an MPC. It's not good enough its the most powerful stand alone beat machine you can buy next to the force which is about equal in what it can and cant do.

The MPC isnt ableton, its not fruityloops, its not reason, its its own device and the sooner people start to wrap their minds around that the MPC is what it is and has always been with some bells and whistles the better off they're be when using it.

To those of us who actually like the MPC's work flow these requests are blasphemy. Don't mess with the flow of the MPC thats grounds for a LYNCHING.

I think it's a balance. I loved the MPC workflow when it launched in 2017, the Firmware updates and new features just make it more fun to use.

There's nothing wrong with using the MPC in the classic way, and there's nothing wrong with wanting new/more features.

DAWs are not the MPC, and the MPC is not a DAW, each has thier own advantages. :popcorn:
By eight_trx Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 am
djst wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote:
Another thing I learned today was that you can select notes and just hit the Copy (physical) button and it will automatically paste immediately after the selection.

thank you so much for this tip :worthy:
By djst Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:17 am
eight_trx wrote:
djst wrote:Another thing I learned today was that you can select notes and just hit the Copy (physical) button and it will automatically paste immediately after the selection.

thank you so much for this tip :worthy:

Pretty useful right? If only they could make the Erase button work in that grid view too and we'd all have a faster way to cut out unwanted notes without also storing them on the clipboard.
By Ibunshi Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:59 am
No more than I am thinking that a car with more features means I might as well not have a car.

I mean, I have actual reasons to use an MPC in the first place, an no amount of added features can remove that reason..

The whole point of the MPC for me is the hands on approach..

If this does not matter, then you might as well stick with the computer and never get an MPC at all..

For me it makes no sense to buy gear that somehow stop having a point because it gains additional features..

If someone who is say fine with fruityloops buy an MPC because they believe the hype, then they are not getting an MPC for a good reason.. For them I can see how having more features means that they might as well have stayed in the computer and have had the same or even better features.. For them the hands of part is not as important.

And they could just but a cheap pad controller if they want to see what it is all about..

But I stick with MPC's because it is about the hands on approach, and I stick with an MPC rather than a midi controller, because I get an interface designed for that purpose rather than something more or less neutral that you have to assign controls for..

THAT.. and it is simply convenient to not have to use the computer every time I want to make music, it's just one piece of gear and I'm working on music within a few of minutes..

And I don't have to stay close to the computer as I work on the MPC..

So any additional feature that the mpc gets, is just a bonus.. And I'm happy for those things even if I still have not gotten any of the features I want that I miss from my MPC 4000.