MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Empeesee Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am
Hey all.

I’m late to the party. Search was overwhelmingly full of garbage from here to Timbuktu?

I want to instal a internal drive in my LIVE but I’m a musician not a tech guru? Like I don’t even know what to look for at the shop that sells hard drives? I purchased a 1 tb ssd portable and have been successfully using it but I’d like to put a drive inside also. I’m thinking at least a tb.
Can someone kind enough tell me in simple terms what specs I should be aiming for? And also detail what the drive would have written on the box ( like how do I know it’s a plug in drive and not a portable or other drive not capable of plugging into my LIVE?

Thank you.
By 40Beatz Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:26 pm
Go Ahead and throw a Standard 1TB HDD or SSD in it. If you need More Space, Throw a 2TB Drive in it.

Me Personally I have a 1TB in all my MPCs, and i still use Multiple SD Cards for Extra Back up. 2TB seems too much...especially if the Drive Takes a Sh*t. I'd be sick to lose 2TBs of Data :lol:
By KaoticShock Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 pm
Monotremata wrote:Yeah I have a Kingston 500GB in mine. Works flawless as it should. 1TB is probably overkill unless you're doing some serious full length tracking with the MPC or have a really gnarly sample library.

I have a 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD for the really gnarly sample library. :lol: Plus 256GB SD Card for projects, programs, and Expansions.

512GB SSD should be fine for most general applications. Also I used a 64 GB SD card for 4 years before needing to upgrade. Just make sure you get an internal SSD, not External.
By EnochLight Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 am
Empeesee wrote:Hey all.

I’m late to the party. Search was overwhelmingly full of garbage from here to Timbuktu?

I want to instal a internal drive in my LIVE but I’m a musician not a tech guru? Like I don’t even know what to look for at the shop that sells hard drives? I purchased a 1 tb ssd portable and have been successfully using it but I’d like to put a drive inside also. I’m thinking at least a tb.
Can someone kind enough tell me in simple terms what specs I should be aiming for? And also detail what the drive would have written on the box ( like how do I know it’s a plug in drive and not a portable or other drive not capable of plugging into my LIVE?

Thank you.

Purchase any quality SSD, such as Samsung's EVO or QVO line. I've got 1 TB QVO and a 1 TB EVO in my Force and MPC - works flawless. Pro tip: do NOT - I repeat - do NOT purchase an old fashioned mechanical HDD. Not only are they slower, you risk damaging sectors if the drive is doing read/writes while you're banging away at finger drumming, or otherwise transporting your Live. It's rare, but it's absolutely possible. Regardless, a good SSD will get you much better performance anyway, and usually use far less power.

Another point to consider is that Akai recommends specifically installing an SSD in Force for disc-streaming, so it stands to reason that if the MPC line eventually gets disc-streaming, the same recommendation will stand.