MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By PresumingEd Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm
Ok so I'm a noob to the world of MPCs coming from a Roland/Korg/DAW background.

Was very tempted to pull the trigger on a MPC Live 2 Retro but there seems to be a LOT of issues with these. Even the demos online (that should be selling these things to me) say things like 'It's great but...' I've actually never come across gear with so many 'but this is an issue' type comments pretty much everywhere. The word 'but' is said far too much for my liking, particularly on something that costs approx $1,500

Even people who now love them say they didn't take to it at first.

My main issue is the retro edition. This seems to be more problematic than the conventional Live2. I thought it was just a paintjob? Do they have more issues?

Is the Live 2 just a dog, and maybe I should be waiting for the next generation?

Love to hear your honest feedback

Thanks in advance
By 40Beatz Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:39 pm
Pull The Trigger. There's a Possible Issue with ALL Hardware. If it cant be worked out, Return and Replace it. But what are the "Issues" with the Retro?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:55 pm
Some people (myself included) found the retro pads to be less sensitive in the centre of the pad, but this could just be a problem with a random batch. Plenty of people have no issues.

In terms of software, the retro is identical to all other current MPCs so any software related issues are likely to be general moaning about the lack of x feature, or 'y feature doesn't work the way I think it should', or 'the mpc could really do with a ....'.

TBH your post is very vague, it would help if you actually gave some examples of the issues you'd heard of, otherwise we're just sat here guessing what they might be. You can also look around this forum to see what feedback is like on the Live 2.
By PresumingEd Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Some people (myself included) found the retro pads to be less sensitive in the centre of the pad, but this could just be a problem with a random batch. Plenty of people have no issues.

In terms of software, the retro is identical to all other current MPCs so any software related issues are likely to be general moaning about the lack of x feature, or 'y feature doesn't work the way I think it should', or 'the mpc could really do with a ....'.

TBH your post is very vague, it would help if you actually gave some examples of the issues you'd heard of, otherwise we're just sat here guessing what they might be. You can also look around this forum to see what feedback is like on the Live 2.

To be honest one of the most recent issues I have read on this forum was the issue with the pads on the retro which may have been your post. But apart from this, there just seems to be lots of other, varied issues which is why I couldn't give a better idea on one particular thing, general glitching is another just random unpredictability weird stuff happening or a lack of compatibility with a lot of USB Interfaces (realise you have a thread on this so will look through)

From what I understand though, it seems like there has been a software update that seems to have solved quite a lot of this random stuff. I guess I'm just used to seeing people running off adrenalin/euphoria when they've unboxed new kit and it seemed there wasn't the same excitement with the Live2 because of these issues.

It's probably is just a case of buying and seeing how I get on. I did have a play on the MPC app on the iPad which was fun, but the main issue being the dreadful 'sandbox' iPad environment meaning there was always an issue trying to get samples onto it, but I know that's just an iOS thing so not comparing this to the real thing!

As a noob, am I correct in thinking the MPC has a steeper learning curve than the likes of Ableton? Is it very 'hands on' in a similar way to the Roland SP404?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 pm
I think Akai are getting addicted to putting out these feature-packed releases every few months but not as interested in fixing existing bugs or re-visiting the many under-developed existing features. Stability is boring, new shiny features sells units (in the short term at least). I'm not sure why it has to be an 'either or' situation though, and I'd definitely like to see them committing to a monthly bug fix release.

PresumingEd wrote:As a noob, am I correct in thinking the MPC has a steeper learning curve than the likes of Ableton? Is it very 'hands on' in a similar way to the Roland SP404?

Yes, very hands on, and no, I don't think it has a particularly steep learning curve, not if you take it easy and only look into the more indepth features once you are comfortable with the basics. Ultimately MPCs have always been fairly easy to use, but these days there's so many additional features it can become somewhat overwhelming.
By EnochLight Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:52 am
PresumingEd wrote:Is the Live 2 just a dog, and maybe I should be waiting for the next generation?

Thanks in advance

No, the Live II is not a dog - it's absolutely fantastic and arguably the best MPC on the market (/cue debate)! :nod: :lol: I came to the MPC-world new with the MPC Touch, then picked up the Live, and then sold that and got the Live II. I wouldn't exchange it for the world - it's absolutely brilliant. Are there some glitches/bugs? Absolutely. Are they show stoppers? Nope, not for me - literally no issues stop me from being productive and enjoying my Live II to the fullest.

Simply put, there's nothing else out there that can compete, aside from Akai's own Force (which is more akin to working in a standalone Ableton Live more than anything), unless you want to throw Maschine+ at it. But IMHO, MPC Live II blows Maschine+ out of the water.

Just pick one up and see how you get on. Purchase one from a reputable retailer - if you're stateside, you can get them from Sweetwater and get a 2-year warranty, plus a 30-day no questions asked return policy. Should be ample time to kick the tires.
By PresumingEd Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:25 pm
EnochLight wrote:
PresumingEd wrote:Is the Live 2 just a dog, and maybe I should be waiting for the next generation?

Thanks in advance

No, the Live II is not a dog - it's absolutely fantastic and arguably the best MPC on the market (/cue debate)! :nod: :lol: I came to the MPC-world new with the MPC Touch, then picked up the Live, and then sold that and got the Live II. I wouldn't exchange it for the world - it's absolutely brilliant. Are there some glitches/bugs? Absolutely. Are they show stoppers? Nope, not for me - literally no issues stop me from being productive and enjoying my Live II to the fullest.

Simply put, there's nothing else out there that can compete, aside from Akai's own Force (which is more akin to working in a standalone Ableton Live more than anything), unless you want to throw Maschine+ at it. But IMHO, MPC Live II blows Maschine+ out of the water.

Just pick one up and see how you get on. Purchase one from a reputable retailer - if you're stateside, you can get them from Sweetwater and get a 2-year warranty, plus a 30-day no questions asked return policy. Should be ample time to kick the tires.

Thanks both above for feedback.

Yeh had another look at the user interface on a video this week and it definitely seems to be something I could pick up fairly quickly and great fun! Think the MIDI thing could potentially fiddly (Ableton was!) but all do - able.

I looks like there are fewer options/menus than Ableton or at least it looks more user friendly then Ableton. The problem with the DAW is theres simply too many knobs and buttons its completely overwhelming so hopefully the MPC is a nicer place to be!
By DeaDeus Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:15 pm
The MPCX (2017) was my first AKAI.
I read that people still enjoy their old tools (3000). AKAI is going down the drain. All weak and plastik - obviously getting worse...
By NearTao Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:20 pm
I find the MPC Live mk2 has just about the right number of buttons to get most jobs done without a deep dive into how everything works, and really opens up as you spend some time to learn the shorcuts (hold shift and sub key function, double tapping buttons, menu and pad). Once you get that surface level comfort of just recording anything to a track and saving/loading your progress, it has a lot of different directions you can go.

While there are definitely issues with the MPC, I do have to say that most problems can be worked around if you take the time to take a step back and think about different methods for approaching a workflow. This is going to be the case for any software or hardware, it cannot do everything, and the way designers decided to implement them may not map to how other people think about or use them.

Been a long time MPC user myself, and have to say that the current MPC X/Live/One line is something that I could see being very happy to work with even if there were no new updates for another ten years. It's super feature packed already, and the more you use it the more you'll learn to do with it.
By PresumingEd Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:51 pm
DeaDeus wrote: AKAI is going down the drain. All weak and plastik - obviously getting worse...

Like everyting, newer stuff is more cheaply produced and ultimately more throwaway I guess.

I used to enjoy getting inside my old synths and mending stuff everything could generally be swapped/fixed with screws/solder etc but nowadays I wouldn't dare open up modern day stuff.

It's a shame, and as you say, AKAI used to have such a good legacy with the superb S series samplers, samplers WERE AKAIs that's what they did and were known for. I did even briefly toy with the idea of going down the rack mount route of an old S1000 or similar. Particularly now, before they go insane in pricing they are almost (just affordable) but in realty it's not practical owning so much old heavy gear with space being a premium. Nice thought, but a bit like owning a classic car a romantic vision but in reality an absolutely nightmare!! That's what lead me to the MPC I guess :)
By EnochLight Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:07 pm
DeaDeus wrote:AKAI is going down the drain. All weak and plastik - obviously getting worse...

:WTF: :lol:

Everything that Akai has done in the past 2 years suggests otherwise. MPC One was a hit, the original MPC Live obviously did well enough to warrant not only a successor in the Live II, but also retro editions, and the free firmware updates that both MPC and Force have been getting is nothing short of extraordinary. I don't care that they're mostly plastic - I'd still gig with them.
By Monotremata Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:12 pm
PresumingEd wrote:It's a shame, and as you say, AKAI used to have such a good legacy with the superb S series samplers, samplers WERE AKAIs that's what they did and were known for. I did even briefly toy with the idea of going down the rack mount route of an old S1000 or similar. Particularly now, before they go insane in pricing they are almost (just affordable) but in realty it's not practical owning so much old heavy gear with space being a premium. Nice thought, but a bit like owning a classic car a romantic vision but in reality an absolutely nightmare!! That's what lead me to the MPC I guess :)

Y'all are aware that the Akai (Japan) that made the awesome S series samplers and the MPC, has been bought and sold several times since then right? Todays Akai has nothing to do with anything of the past aside from the name, and not a single employee that worked for the original Akai is even around anymore. Its now just another name for InMusic's brand portfolio, so to compare the two doesn't really make much sense even 10-15 years ago.
By 40Beatz Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:46 pm
After ALL the Progress Akai made with the MPC Line, they shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon. There is STILL NO STANDALONE Drum Machine/Sampler on the Market that can Compete with it.

That's like saying Chevrolet is "On Its Way Out" because they sold a few Duds out of Tens Of Thousands of Cars.

Akai's Service has essentially reverted back to the Days of the Original MPCs. Keep their Mouth Shut, Release New Sh*t, and Reap The Benefits. And They were pretty Successful back then.

Support or Not...Guys like me will continue spending money with them. I Never Hesitate to Crack Open ALL my MPCs. Im My Own Akai Support :lol:
By PresumingEd Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:43 am
Monotremata wrote:
PresumingEd wrote:It's a shame, and as you say, AKAI used to have such a good legacy with the superb S series samplers, samplers WERE AKAIs that's what they did and were known for. I did even briefly toy with the idea of going down the rack mount route of an old S1000 or similar. Particularly now, before they go insane in pricing they are almost (just affordable) but in realty it's not practical owning so much old heavy gear with space being a premium. Nice thought, but a bit like owning a classic car a romantic vision but in reality an absolutely nightmare!! That's what lead me to the MPC I guess :)

Y'all are aware that the Akai (Japan) that made the awesome S series samplers and the MPC, has been bought and sold several times since then right? Todays Akai has nothing to do with anything of the past aside from the name, and not a single employee that worked for the original Akai is even around anymore. Its now just another name for InMusic's brand portfolio, so to compare the two doesn't really make much sense even 10-15 years ago.

Nope, didn't have a clue!