MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By druki Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:41 am
Hiya,
just looking for any ideas,
I might be missing something obvious, I'm using my mpc alongside drum machines, and using the mpc for some parts of the rhythm and drum machines for the other, I'm using an mpc track set to midi to sequence drum machines, the issue im having is that i want to say- turn the hats off, or bring them in- i don't see any way of doing that as pad mute isn't availabe in midi mode
so far I've been using workarounds, such as using the volume on tracks in the drum machine- but, the drum machine in question is a modular rack, and it gets complicated quickly, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how i could get some kind of midi mute functionality on a per pad basis,

thanks!
dru
By eight_trx Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:29 am
you wont be able to get pad mutes by design, they're designed for drum programs unfortunately. your options would be routing a separate midi track to mute with or sampling the notes/chords to pads.

druki wrote:Hiya,
just looking for any ideas,
I might be missing something obvious, I'm using my mpc alongside drum machines, and using the mpc for some parts of the rhythm and drum machines for the other, I'm using an mpc track set to midi to sequence drum machines, the issue im having is that i want to say- turn the hats off, or bring them in- i don't see any way of doing that as pad mute isn't availabe in midi mode
so far I've been using workarounds, such as using the volume on tracks in the drum machine- but, the drum machine in question is a modular rack, and it gets complicated quickly, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how i could get some kind of midi mute functionality on a per pad basis,

thanks!
dru
By druki Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 am
Thanks for the suggestions,

WaveJockey, that's not really a great workaround in my case, as then I can't 'play' the drums anymore..
I think just yanking out gate cables and adjusting volume pots as i have been is the best I can do..
what a bummer! seems like such an oversight! (and potentially super easy to integrate!?)
this could be a great brain for a modular setup if only it had a couple of really obvious things like this available.
By eight_trx Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:21 am
you can edit the pad note mapping of a drum program to match the same notes as your drum machine and send that track to your midi track.

example for a drum machine that has 4 sounds on c3/d3/e3/f3

track 1 drum pgm: remap pad a1-a4 mapped to c3-f3 -> set track to "send to" track 2
track 2 midi pgm: set this to send to midi to your drum machine

not sure why i didnt think of this earlier :)
By 83dude Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:26 pm
druki wrote:Thanks for the suggestions,

WaveJockey, that's not really a great workaround in my case, as then I can't 'play' the drums anymore..
I think just yanking out gate cables and adjusting volume pots as i have been is the best I can do..
what a bummer! seems like such an oversight! (and potentially super easy to integrate!?)
this could be a great brain for a modular setup if only it had a couple of really obvious things like this available.

I don‘t see why using different tracks sent to the same instrument should impede you. It‘s still the same channel, isn‘t it? You just ‚explode‘ those notes to different ‚lanes‘, as I see it. You could create 100 MIDI tracks sent to the same output & channel and still play the whole instrument using one of them or arm multiple tracks.
By NearTao Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:21 am
So... you didn't really explain what modules you're using... but it sounds like midi... still not really enough detail. But if you're using Midi for program sounds, then you're going to need to make multiple tracks, one for each sound or set of sounds you want to mute. As you said there is no pad mute. The only other thing you *could* do would be to hold ERASE while it is playing and the note you want to erase to remove those events from the track. Not likely what you're looking for here.

Otherwise, if you're using CV on your MPC you'll need each gate to have it's own CV Program, and CV Track, because it has a similar implementation/architecture... for what I setup I have a CV Clock, CV Reset, CV Kick, CV Snare, CV Hats, etc... and then I can mute/unmute the patterns (well not really the clock or reset) as I see fit. There's some fancier stuff you can do with sends, but it will all still boil down to needing to use track mutes.
By Ultros Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:23 am
The step sequencer is useful for isolating the velocity for each item in your kit, with a drum module, drum program, or drum synth plugin. you can bang your pattern in on the pads and then isolate the hat you want to roll in and automate the velocity so it comes in over the sequence.
By wavejockey Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:45 am
NearTao wrote:
Otherwise, if you're using CV on your MPC you'll need each gate to have it's own CV Program, and CV Track, because it has a similar implementation/architecture... for what I setup I have a CV Clock, CV Reset, CV Kick, CV Snare, CV Hats, etc... and then I can mute/unmute the patterns (well not really the clock or reset) as I see fit. There's some fancier stuff you can do with sends, but it will all still boil down to needing to use track mutes.

since the latest update, there 's a drum CV program where you can assign each note/pad a different Gate out

don't know if they implemented drum program pad muting here (too) though
By NearTao Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:29 pm
Pad Mutes is disabled for CV in general. So you'd still have to do tricks to route around.

I tried setting up a drum program with silent samples on pads A1 and A2, and sending to a CV drum program, and it sends all data regardless of pad mute settings.
By druki Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:45 am
Thanks for the suggestions all, I'm hoping we'll get some kind of pad mute functionality in a future version,
I had not seen the cv drum program, very cool! and never actually played with the ability to send tracks to other tracks,
good stuff, thanks for the tips!