MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By enderman Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:11 pm
Yo. Using stock settings of my MPC One and Tascam Model 12 during Autosample, the recording process would generate samples with pops and clicks. I found the solution by putting the MPC One into controller mode and then updating the buffer size to 1024 in the MPC One Control Panel application. I bet this would work for all the other modern devices like the Live, as well.

Let me know if this helps or if you've found a better buffer size.
By Monotremata Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:05 am
You did that in the MPC Software's audio settings? Thats odd if that solved it, that SHOULD only be affecting recording on the MPC Software's side of things, but maybe that writes some hidden setting internally that applies when it goes back into standalone mode??
By Zack Zerox Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:25 pm
If that's working in standalone, which if you're not using the MPC software it must be, that's good news. Hopefully Akai will introduce an easy way to tweak the buffer size in standalone. Then it'll be finding the response vs functioning sweet spot, as with any computer and interface.
By Monotremata Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:18 pm
Yeah no clue what this MPC One Control Panel is. It either only exists for the One or its a Windows only thing because I have nothing whatsoever on my Mac that will let me adjust anything on the MPC Live unless I go into the MPC Software and change it there. And AFAIK that only affects the MPC Software's buffering.

EDIT: Ok found it. Its ONLY in Windows, there is nothing on the Mac for this, but I just installed the whole software suite in my VMWare Windows 10 and yep, the MPC Live has an entry in the Windows Control Panel too and you can actually change the buffer size of the hardware right there. What the hell Akai, how about a bone for us Mac users so we can adjust this too? Granted I can now in VMWare but WTF?
By Monotremata Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:24 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:Screenshot of the app panel? Does increasing the buffer size increases the audio latency as well?

Its in the Windows Control Panel, there's an icon for your MPC in there. Increasing buffer size will always increase latency.

Id still like to see more reports of this (I posted about it at Gearslutz yesterday so we'll see). This control panel may actually only affect when Windows uses the MPC as a sound device, so it could've just been a total fluke that his pops and clicks went away but who knows yet.
By Monotremata Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:09 pm
enderman wrote:Not a fluke. I’m not attached to the pc anymore and all good autosampling. Does still pop and click when I’m adjusting sample envelopes which kinda pisses me off tbh. :roll:

Yeah so it sounds like that buffer setting probably doesn't do anything other than adjust Windows when its using the device as your sound card. If you set your buffer all the way up to 1024 and are still getting pops and clicks, that setting did nothing to the standalone mode, and if it did, the autosampler is just way to heavy handed with the CPU.

Akai needs to make a setting to adjust this within the actual MPC Software itself running on the standalone unit or folks will never be able to pull off their multitrack dreams with the MPC. Works great for its intended purpose for sampling, but now that folks think its a DAW in a box and are trying to track 8 things at once with it, its not quite optimized for that.
By enderman Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 pm
Monotremata wrote:
enderman wrote:Not a fluke. I’m not attached to the pc anymore and all good autosampling. Does still pop and click when I’m adjusting sample envelopes which kinda pisses me off tbh. :roll:

Yeah so it sounds like that buffer setting probably doesn't do anything other than adjust Windows when its using the device as your sound card. If you set your buffer all the way up to 1024 and are still getting pops and clicks, that setting did nothing to the standalone mode, and if it did, the autosampler is just way to heavy handed with the CPU.

Akai needs to make a setting to adjust this within the actual MPC Software itself running on the standalone unit or folks will never be able to pull off their multitrack dreams with the MPC. Works great for its intended purpose for sampling, but now that folks think its a DAW in a box and are trying to track 8 things at once with it, its not quite optimized for that.

The original issue was the samples were recorded with the pops and clicks. After adjusting the buffer settings, the pops/clicks are no longer recorded during autosample. The only time i hear pops/clicks is when I'm adjusting the envelope settings and that eventually goes away. I assume adjusting the buffer higher will solve this too. Doesn't bother me enough (yet) to monkey with it more though.

Also, how could the Autosampler be too heavy handed? It's just sending midi and recording as usual. There's really nothing tricky or overly stressful going on there..
By enzyme Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:56 pm
Does this actually make a difference in standalone mode?

I'm a bit sceptical about this without more info. Surely, if buffer size could be adjusted then we could adjust sample rate too? I'm not sure Akai want us messing with that stuff, seems like the OS is optimised for its normal settings
By Monotremata Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:30 pm
enzyme wrote:Does this actually make a difference in standalone mode?

I'm a bit sceptical about this without more info. Surely, if buffer size could be adjusted then we could adjust sample rate too? I'm not sure Akai want us messing with that stuff, seems like the OS is optimised for its normal settings

Pretty much. Hence Akai's warning that using an audio interface along with enabling all 32 ins and outs is going to make the MPC take a big CPU hit. More than likely the MPC was optimized to be the best it can be in its own element (just like the older MPC's were), but since everyone complained, they gave us a bone to use interfaces but let us know 'We didn't design it for this so good luck'.
By enzyme Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:21 am
8in and out seems to work ok though. I haven't tried recording a whole bunch of things at the same time, and sending into the MPC for processing and then back out again is probably going to chew up CPU fast. But for general purposes it seems fairly robust,

Back on topic, I've been having some problems with the autosampler without an interface even connected. Does this windows control panel actually make a difference to the hardware in standalone mode? I'm on ancient Mac so I cant even run the latest software.