MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By idem_grey Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:38 pm
Hi everyone!

My first post here.

I've been digging this in google but I could not find a related topic.

I am currently trying to set up my Alesis VI25 to my MPC Live MK1. It all works well apart from the transport buttons.

I did look up how to midi learn knobs and what not, however, I don't see an option to assign parameters to the play, stop, rec buttons.

So in other words, I want to be able to control the MPC play stop and record/dub from my Alesis transport buttons.

Do you think that is possible? I really hope it is and you can help me out.
By Hoekschop Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:16 pm
If you want to control the play, stop and rec buttons (no overdub unfortunately) you'll need to use MIDI Machine Control (MMC). See page 334 of the manual (2.10) for more info.

First, activate MMC receive (Preferences > MIDI / Sync) and then set up your keyboard to send MMC-messages. The manual of your Alesis should be able to help you with that.
By idem_grey Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:51 pm
Hoekschop wrote:If you want to control the play, stop and rec buttons (no overdub unfortunately) you'll need to use MIDI Machine Control (MMC). See page 334 of the manual (2.10) for more info.

First, activate MMC receive (Preferences > MIDI / Sync) and then set up your keyboard to send MMC-messages. The manual of your Alesis should be able to help you with that.

Thank you kindly for replying back!

I did dig into the user guides of both.

I do have my Receive MMC on now. I did stumble upon that setting when I looked into that section. Wasn't sure what it was but now I do. Source - https://syntheway.com/MIDI_Machine_Control_MMC.htm

However, from what I understand, I need to send a different type of message - MMC. I could not find anything about that in the Alesis user guide. It's a standard USB MIDI controller. I am not too sure but let me know if it even has the option to send such messages please! Is the controlling unit expected to have a dedicated MMC option or setting?

Cheers!
By DeaDeus Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:46 pm
Ultros wrote:Where do I get a pair of them socks? :lol:

...and the beer mat.....

OK - I have the Novation Impulse - I did not get the keys on the keyboard to work either - but as I do not really need them I gave up soon...

just to mention it - I wrecked the "Play Start" key on my MPCX a year ago... still no foot switch setting for this :fku:

Fixed it myself :idea:

hang on ... did not somebody say something about a programmable USB footswitch...
By jamos Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 pm
Yews, I have a MIDIBaby that was custom-programmed by Disaster Area to send MMC start/stop commands, works like a charm.

To the OP - are you sure those buttons on the controller don't already send MMC? I would expect they do, In which case all you need to do is set the MPC to recieve MMC .
By idem_grey Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:05 am
jamos wrote:Yews, I have a MIDIBaby that was custom-programmed by Disaster Area to send MMC start/stop commands, works like a charm.

To the OP - are you sure those buttons on the controller don't already send MMC? I would expect they do, In which case all you need to do is set the MPC to recieve MMC .

I am honestly not sure if they send MMC messages. I also looked up on the manuals or other internet threads but I could not find anything mentioninig MMC messages.

I do receive signals from the Alesis transport on the MPC. Here is a quick vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftTfuqNvEzI

However, I have no clue how to confirm if they send MMC and if so, how to set them to send the correct MMC message?

Poke me if you need more details.
By Hoekschop Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:12 pm
Today I had some time to look into this... So I set up one of the buttons of my (ancient) Axiom 49 to send MMC-Deferred Play. When I press the button on my keyboard the MPC starts playing but no MIDI events show up in the midi monitor.

In your video I see there are cc-messages showing up in the MPC's midi-monitor. Therefore I suspect the transport buttons on your keyboard aren't sending MMC-messages. In the manual of the Alesis VI25 I read that you can use the VI Editor software to assign the transport buttons. Have you tried the software? If anywhere, this is where you'll find the answer.
By idem_grey Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:36 pm
Thank you @Hoekschop!

I do have the software. I tried tweaking it from there but there isn't such an option. I will have a second look but I went over it quite well.

The more interesting thing here is that I actually have the 61 as well - 61 MK1. Very old. It's on the other side of my setup, as I usually plug that to Ableton.

The Axiom transport buttons don't seem to do anything at the moment except the normal cc message to the MPC.

How did you set your Axiom exactly?
By 83dude Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:46 pm
MTC, MMC and MC won‘t usually show up in a MIDI monitor since they‘re modified SysEx messages that normally can‘t be monitored; only channel messages usually are monitorable, since the sheer amount would overflow a monitor.

EDIT: Sorry I used ‚to monitor‘ a lot. :lol:
By Ultros Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 pm
Does 86 dude have or know where i could find a list of those trasnport control sysex messages perhaps?

I cant dump them from any device because nothing i own sends those messages. Would be fun to use my laptop to send the messages to test it with:

amidi --send-hex "stringofhexhere" -p hw:2,0,0

with the mpc plugged in to the pc..
By Ultros Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 am
Pretty sure you'll never get those transport controls to work either because your keyboard doesn't send the proper akai sysex messages listed below, these are only found in akai's MPD / MPK products from what I read.

STOP
Code: Select allF07F7F0601F7

PLAY
Code: Select allF07F7F0602F7

RECORD
Code: Select allF07F7F0606F7

>>
Code: Select allF07F7F0604F7

<<
Code: Select allF07F7F0605F7

If you have a linux computer and a usb to 5 pin cable you can send the sysex messages with this script:

Code: Select all#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
   echo "Usage: $0 [option]"
   echo ""
   echo " play      Send's the play sysex to MPC"
   echo " stop      Send's the stop sysex to MPC"
   echo " record    Send's the record sysex to MPC"
   echo " forward   Send's the forward sysex to MPC"
   echo " back      Send's the back sysex to MPC"
   echo ""
   exit;
fi