MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Straker Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:47 pm
So I have a Mpc Live and Boss Rc202 setup and I want to add a Red Panda Particle v2 (granular delay) to the setup.
I need to send midi clock to Particle whether from Mpc or Rc202.
Particle has usb (as Mpc and Rc202) but it works only, as Red Panda says, with a midi host.
But are not Mpc and Rc202 midi hosts?
Is there an easy way to send a usb midi clock to Particle without the hassle of buying an external host, cables and so on?
By Ultros Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:19 am
Mpc will send clock out over 5 pin or usb its in settings > midi. You gotta go to the slave device and tell it to pick up the midi clock as per-usual, but i see no issues with what you wanna do.

Set the sync receive to "off" and the send to "clock" and that should suffice. Then if your slave devices got their ears on the clock it should tick away same same.
By Straker Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 am
Ultros wrote:Mpc will send clock out over 5 pin or usb its in settings > midi. You gotta go to the slave device and tell it to pick up the midi clock as per-usual, but i see no issues with what you wanna do.

Set the sync receive to "off" and the send to "clock" and that should suffice. Then if your slave devices got their ears on the clock it should tick away same same.

The problem is that the slave device is not class compliant and if I understand right, this means that it needs a midi host.
Sorry, I have zero knowledge about that and what it means.
The slave device also has a TRS/midi, but again they told me this means it needs an external midi host to make Mpc and slave to communicate.
I am very confused.
It seems I should also buy an external midi host to make Mpc and Particle sync, but that's a no go for me.
I was quite sure Mpc was a midi host as computers.
By ace_of_dub Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:04 pm
Straker wrote:
Ultros wrote:Mpc will send clock out over 5 pin or usb its in settings > midi. You gotta go to the slave device and tell it to pick up the midi clock as per-usual, but i see no issues with what you wanna do.

The problem is that the slave device is not class compliant and if I understand right, this means that it needs a midi host.
Sorry, I have zero knowledge about that and what it means.
The slave device also has a TRS/midi, but again they told me this means it needs an external midi host to make Mpc and slave to communicate.
I am very confused.
It seems I should also buy an external midi host to make Mpc and Particle sync, but that's a no go for me.
I was quite sure Mpc was a midi host as computers.

Obviously a MIDI HOST device (to plug a MIDI USB device) can only work with Class compliant MIDI peripherals. PERIOD.

The MPC standalone is a MIDI HOST, therefore it's possible to plug MIDI USB Class compliant devices on the MPC.
By Straker Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:47 pm
@ ace of dub

But what exactly does it mean "class compliant"?
And how can I know if a device is class compliant or not?
And if a device is NOT class compliant, how can I use usb or TRS/midi to sync it?
I do have to buy an external midi host box?
Is not a TRS/midi to 5din midi enough?

(I love dub music btw)
By Monotremata Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:52 pm
Straker wrote:@ ace of dub

And if a device is NOT class compliant, how can I use usb or TRS/midi to sync it?

(I love dub music btw)

You might want to actually go look at the manufacturers website and read up on its features and capabilities.
By Straker Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:26 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Straker wrote:@ ace of dub

(I love dub music btw)

You might want to actually go look at the manufacturers website and read up on its features and capabilities.

On Red Panda site It's written midi sync available but no mention if class compliant or not.
They replied to my mail and said I can sync but I do need an external midi host to make Mpc and Particle communicate.
I still don't understand why, if Mpc is a midi host, I need another midi host.
So apparently I need an external midi host whether I want to use usb/usb or Trsmidi/midi.
It's quite confusing actually.
By enzyme Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm
'Class compliant' only refers to USB MIDI. If you want to send via the 5-pin ports its no trouble at all. If you are using a device with 3.5mm MIDI then you just need the converter lead (3.5mm comes in 2 versions, you need to check which version UNLESS your device came with the adapter already)

Edit: Just re-read your posts and YES 3.5mm to DIN lead will work fine
By Straker Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:29 pm
enzyme wrote:'Class compliant' only refers to USB MIDI. If you want to send via the 5-pin ports its no trouble at all. If you are using a device with 3.5mm MIDI then you just need the converter lead (3.5mm comes in 2 versions, you need to check which version UNLESS your device came with the adapter already)

Edit: Just re-read your posts and YES 3.5mm to DIN lead will work fine

So all I need is just a cable with midi din and trs midi?
Just that?
By enzyme Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:02 pm
I just had a look on the Red Panda website and TBH I don't know because it states "additional parameters via midi. USB OR TRS", yet they have told you that you require a MIDI host, something doesn't sound right. Is the TRS midi both in and out? Maybe thats why they are stating you need a USB host?

Generally, though, I'm pretty certain you can map the MPC q-links to the pedals MIDI parameters, and send clock to it too. Obviously, you have to get the pedals audio back into the MPC or 202 too, but its pretty much the same as hooking up an external synth.
Last edited by enzyme on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ultros Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Two of these and some regular midi cables dude. This one is midi DIN to TS though, you probably want the DIN to TRS. That's all though and you're off like a turd of hurtles.
By Straker Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 pm
Ultros wrote:Image

Two of these and some regular midi cables dude. This one is midi DIN to TS though, you probably want the DIN to TRS. That's all though and you're off like a turd of hurtles.

Ooook, that sounds great.
Thanks a lot, it's like getting outside a labyrinth.
By Straker Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:31 pm
enzyme wrote:I just had a look on the Red Panda website and TBH I don't know because it states "additional parameters via midi. USB OR TRS", yet they have told you that you require a MIDI host, something doesn't sound right. Is the TRS midi both in and out? Maybe thats why they are stating you need a USB host?

Generally, though, I'm pretty certain you can map the MPC q-links to the pedals MIDI parameters, and send clock to it too. Obviously, you have to get the pedals audio back into the MPC or 202 too, but its pretty much the same as hooking up an external synth.

From Red Panda site:
"Red Panda pedals with USB receptacles also support 1/4" TRS MIDI input via the CTRL port, with MIDI in on the tip. Use our web editor to configure the CTRL port for MIDI In (TRS). Then scroll down and click Save to update your pedal. The setting will be remembered when power is turned off. You can set the MIDI receive channel on the editor's Config page.

Connect the MIDI output to the pedal's CTRL port using a TRS to TRS patch cable.

This is a non-standard MIDI interface, because there is no optocoupler on the input, but it is used by many guitar pedals. You will need a converter or a MIDI controller with 1/4" TRS outputs, which are available from Empress Effects, Disaster Area Designs, Morningstar, and others. Those devices contain an optocoupler to prevent ground loops.

Simple 5-pin DIN to TRS MIDI cables are also available and will work in many cases, but they are susceptible to noise caused by ground loops.

The TRS connector wiring is:

tip: MIDI input
ring: not used
sleeve: ground

The wiring matches the MIDI Manufacturers Association Specification for use of TRS Connectors with MIDI devices. It is sometimes referred to as "Type A" (Korg style). Since our CTRL port does not have an optocoupler, to fully comply with the MIDI 2.0 standard you should use an adapter or a cable with an inline optocoupler (such as the Strymon MIDI EXP).

If the TRS MIDI output jack polarity is configurable, set the output to tip active (tip = MIDI in on the pedal).

TRS MIDI converters verified to work with Red Panda pedals:

Disaster Area Designs MIDI controllers and TRS MIDI converters
qCONNECT information (applies to most gen 3 controllers)
Empress Midibox2
Morningstar Engineering controllers with TRS MIDI out (1/4" or 3.5mm)
Use "MIDI Out - Tip Active" and a TRS (stereo) cable
Strymon MIDI EXP cable (standard orientation)
Strymon Conduit
Meris MIDI I/O (limited - see below)

The Meris MIDI I/O daisy-chains connected pedals and passes MIDI from the output of one pedal to the input of the next. Our pedals do not transmit MIDI via TRS (only USB), so they will not retransmit MIDI to following pedals. You can use one of our pedals in the last jack (e.g., #4), but no MIDI will be sent to the MIDI output."

So it's quite confusing.
It states that a trs-midi cable is enough but then a long list of options that made me more and more confused.
No need for midi messages, anyway, just midi clock.
By enzyme Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Yeah, thats really confusing! What I took away from that is theres only midi in on the pedal, but its USB port has in and out (probably for things like the touchOSC template that is mentioned on the website)

You should be good with the trs version of the lead that Ultros posted but be aware there are 2 types of it, it says you need type A. You should also be good via usb.

Interesting that we're now seeing gear with midi 2.0 implemented.