MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Norman Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 pm
hi!

im using all 16 midi channels to control external synths and fx units via midi cc.

if, for example, midi cc 74 is recorded on midi channel 1 and then played back, all other midi cc 74 parameters of all other midi channels are then also affected - the corresponding qlink moves on all channels, but is only played back and has an effect on midi channel 1. if midi cc 74 of another midi channel is then recorded, this is also played back there afterwards, but the qlink displays then slowly start to go crazy and it seems as if many values are no longer played back in sync the more you record.

also, at some point the qlink values, labels and assignments are incorrectly displayed, they just sometimes move from one midi channel to the other.

midi channel 1=IN 1/OUT 1, midi channel 2=IN 2/OUT 2 etc. etc. its a dealbreaker for me.
i have tested all settings on the MPC.

is there already a statement from Akai on this? is there anyone who can control several midi devices with the MPC X without any problems, without glitches and in sync? midi on the MPC X in general feels very unstable, is this better with the Akai Force??

thanks!
By DokBrown Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:00 am
try a different OS like 2.9, I don’t think 2.10 offered much in the way of MIDI CC & could be creating problems
By Calcaire Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 am
Hello your issue seems to complement the general MIDI issue that occurs to mpc since 2.8 (standalone)/

The MIDI seems to be managed in a strange way by the MPC, with several problems :

MIDI NOTE OFF is not sended to the corresponding channel, but to a or by ny channel on the same port . It occurs playing external synth via the MPC, or internal keygroups or plugins .... You can reproduce it if you have a splittable MIDI keyboard.

Example : If you hold a C3 on your controller ( Channel 1 ), and play and release another C3 on the second keyboard zone (Channel 2) the note on the instruments driven by Channel 1 will also be "noted off" like the Channel 2 instrument.

This problem is also affecting Monitoring Options, as ocumented here and there

And from what you describe, the CC's are transmitted on any channel on the same port... This is the same root problem with several consequences : Midi message seem not to be handled by channel, which is really a mess...

It started with the "multimidi" 2.8 firmware version. These several issues are well documented on this forum and on the "MPC Hacking/ mod group" in FB.... I've written to the technical support of INmusic, and they already know about this big implementation bug, but of course did'nt give a timeline to correct it... What a pity.
By wavejockey Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:23 am
very bothering indeed and not worth a decent MIDI implementation of a MIDI workstation

could a workaround be to put your receiving synths in OMNI OFF ?

(so they 'd only listen to incoming MIDI from a specific channel)