MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DeaDeus Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 pm
Hello Tony, I am an old timer in MIDI standalone.
Daisychanining was never my favourite - but one can not avoid it if working without computers.
Basically I keep f...king around with getting the perfect connection eversince.
- Having a Center Piece doing the job is hard. The MPCX is my latest choice. It is a software driven tool, with all the backdraws - jitter issues e.g. In the olden days the centerpieces were closed workstations - by far not perfect, but well thought pieces in their limits. Dedicated chips doing dedicated jobs. The AKAIs are basically very good samplers. (I bet nobody can deny this - except of very detailed issues).

Here my current setup:
- A master keyboard is used to enter required data into the MPCX - directly connected to the MPCX (no intermediate filter - filtering of unwanted midi data done within the masterkeys
-- "Input Ports" set to Master, Control, Track for master keys on port 16 (same as master key port)

- MIDI out going back to the master keys but set numb - I just open it if I need to control the master keys sound banks with recorded data (or you'll have possible midi feedback...)
- External synth are connected via the other three "Output Ports" (in my case the Virus set to midi port 15, and so on for individual synth)
-- IMPORTANT: this is not a MUST as the "MIDI Port" of the "Program" is dealing with it anyways, but it helps to control MULTI CHANNEL/Matrix synth like the Virus in "Multi Mode". In this case I control it with midi channels 1-8 e.g. for individual "Tracks". But this is an individual thing.... and I am an old man and I like things to be sorted :-)
-- Changing channels in the individual "Track" of the MPCX allows me to control what is being send to the external synth (e.g. Virus)
- My drums are coming from another synth and important is to set "MMC" and "Send Clock" for incoming and outgoing data. This will make ALL external things having the same timing
--- IMPORTANT: the MPCX is NOT sending constant clock signals (like many of the old machines do). This will end in heavy heavy jitters and timing issues at the start of a song - until all synth are synchronised. Therefore - make sure to have an empty "Sequence" - 4 beats are enough - to sync all machines - before exporting/recording songs!
-- Daisychaning: I have controllers between the MPCX and the external synth to manipulate the sounds.
---- Difficult is now: they are not recorded, as the master is doing the main job of data input into the MPCX!
----- Workaround: do the raw recording and switch the OUTPUT of the controller to the INPUT of the MPCX - I use a fairly old Midiman Thru 3-8. This allows the routing of the data to a dedicated INPUT of the MPCX. Now you can play around with the filters, envelopes, or whatever you like without having a midi feedback - "Over Dub".

This sounds difficult - and it is :-(

Traditional daisychains work with MIDI Through ports - works - but not all machines do what you like them to do - setup in a "Star Chain" setup, as I like to call it. So I decided to do it in a switchable chain.

This is just a hint of what is possible - all is difficult if you do not like to rely on the MPC as a one and only...
The MPCX is a good "all-in-a-box" instrument - I mean it.
By Monotremata Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:06 pm
Well he's talking about audio interfaces, not MIDI interfaces.

Short and sweet version, no you cant. The MPC isn't a a Mac or to some extent Windows and has no capability for multiple audio interfaces. One is it and we're very lucky we got that as it starts taxing the already weak CPU in it even more when using USB audio.

Now if the interface has Dante or AVB built in you can daisy chain them that way. Something like MOTU's interfaces with AVB can also be networked together as one big device, but these aren't class compliant and don't work with the MPC.
By DeaDeus Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 am
sorry - misunderstood it completely :-(
By tonyj Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 pm
DeaDeus wrote:Hello Tony, I am an old timer in MIDI standalone.
Daisychanining was never my favourite - but one can not avoid it if working without computers.
Basically I keep f...king around with getting the perfect connection eversince.
- Having a Center Piece doing the job is hard. The MPCX is my latest choice. It is a software driven tool, with all the backdraws - jitter issues e.g. In the olden days the centerpieces were closed workstations - by far not perfect, but well thought pieces in their limits. Dedicated chips doing dedicated jobs. The AKAIs are basically very good samplers. (I bet nobody can deny this - except of very detailed issues).

Here my current setup:
- A master keyboard is used to enter required data into the MPCX - directly connected to the MPCX (no intermediate filter - filtering of unwanted midi data done within the masterkeys
-- "Input Ports" set to Master, Control, Track for master keys on port 16 (same as master key port)

- MIDI out going back to the master keys but set numb - I just open it if I need to control the master keys sound banks with recorded data (or you'll have possible midi feedback...)
- External synth are connected via the other three "Output Ports" (in my case the Virus set to midi port 15, and so on for individual synth)
-- IMPORTANT: this is not a MUST as the "MIDI Port" of the "Program" is dealing with it anyways, but it helps to control MULTI CHANNEL/Matrix synth like the Virus in "Multi Mode". In this case I control it with midi channels 1-8 e.g. for individual "Tracks". But this is an individual thing.... and I am an old man and I like things to be sorted :-)
-- Changing channels in the individual "Track" of the MPCX allows me to control what is being send to the external synth (e.g. Virus)
- My drums are coming from another synth and important is to set "MMC" and "Send Clock" for incoming and outgoing data. This will make ALL external things having the same timing
--- IMPORTANT: the MPCX is NOT sending constant clock signals (like many of the old machines do). This will end in heavy heavy jitters and timing issues at the start of a song - until all synth are synchronised. Therefore - make sure to have an empty "Sequence" - 4 beats are enough - to sync all machines - before exporting/recording songs!
-- Daisychaning: I have controllers between the MPCX and the external synth to manipulate the sounds.
---- Difficult is now: they are not recorded, as the master is doing the main job of data input into the MPCX!
----- Workaround: do the raw recording and switch the OUTPUT of the controller to the INPUT of the MPCX - I use a fairly old Midiman Thru 3-8. This allows the routing of the data to a dedicated INPUT of the MPCX. Now you can play around with the filters, envelopes, or whatever you like without having a midi feedback - "Over Dub".

This sounds difficult - and it is :-(

Traditional daisychains work with MIDI Through ports - works - but not all machines do what you like them to do - setup in a "Star Chain" setup, as I like to call it. So I decided to do it in a switchable chain.

This is just a hint of what is possible - all is difficult if you do not like to rely on the MPC as a one and only...
The MPCX is a good "all-in-a-box" instrument - I mean it.

Hey DeaDeus! Thanks for the breakdown of your current setup. One of my favorite things is messing around and trying to get an optimal signal path! I am constantly moving around my gear and trying new things, it certainly helps with creativity and getting to know your gear.

As Monotremata mentioned, I was talking about MIDI interfaces. However, I'm very stoked on your reply and appreciate it!
By tonyj Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Monotremata wrote:Well he's talking about audio interfaces, not MIDI interfaces.

Short and sweet version, no you cant. The MPC isn't a a Mac or to some extent Windows and has no capability for multiple audio interfaces. One is it and we're very lucky we got that as it starts taxing the already weak CPU in it even more when using USB audio.

Now if the interface has Dante or AVB built in you can daisy chain them that way. Something like MOTU's interfaces with AVB can also be networked together as one big device, but these aren't class compliant and don't work with the MPC.

Certainly lucky we even got that available now. Pretty stoked on all the latest updates. Thanks for the reply!
By Monotremata Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 pm
tonyj wrote:
Monotremata wrote:Well he's talking about audio interfaces, not MIDI interfaces.

Certainly lucky we even got that available now. Pretty stoked on all the latest updates. Thanks for the reply!

Someone in the interface sticky at the top of the forum confirmed that his Behringer UMC1820 works with an ADAT converter connected to get all the outputs running so if you've got an interface with some ADAT/Dante/MADI expansion it should work fine too. Now I cant wait to grab another ADA8200 to hook it up to my UMC1820 for a 16 output MPC Live haha.