MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By tjoh311 Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:06 pm
I'm having an issue with my MPC one. When I use the format drive option to format an SD card, I get the message "formatting failed" then after about 2 mins, the card disappears from the MPC's browser and can no longer be read. I tried the card in 2 different PCs but they are unable to be read, or formatted. GParted in Linux doesn't even know what to do with them. I tried this with 2 different SD cards thinking that maybe one just gave up on me. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using firmware 2.10.1.

Thanks in advance.
By tjoh311 Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:51 pm
I have genuine PNY cards. Most purchased from my local best buy. I mean maybe they're slinging fakes, but they have been spot on until I tried to format in the MPC.

Edited to add: I'm able to resuscitate them by doing a clean in disk parted in windows.
By NearTao Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 am
Sounds strange. I've had issues with my PC not being able to provide enough power to SDXC cards and it was corrupting them, I wonder if it is a similar issue on the One. Do you have any SDHC cards (like 4gb-32gb range) that you might be able to test with?
By NearTao Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:33 am
I don't remember that happening on my Live or X. There might be dirt, or a defect causing an issue.

Have you tried to see if you get the same behavior from a USB drive?
By BostonGreen Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:45 pm
This happened on my one, exactly the same issue, 128gb card.
I was able to reformat it by putting it in my camcorder and formatting using camcorder.
Once reformatted, it worked in the One as storage, but the format option still doesn't work
By Ultros Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:08 pm
Could be your sleeve is messed up or has the write lock enabled?

I find when linux and windows wont do the job sticking the card in my cellphone and using it to format the card often helps. it'll clear the partition table and set up a single file system.

I noticed the "format" feature in my mpc is not very reliable either.
By tjoh311 Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:13 pm
I haven't tried using a reader and formatting thru the USB.. I've tried on 5 cards now and had to clean and repair the partitions in DiskPart in windows. If there was a bad sector, you'd think that it may be just one card, or maybe 2 if they were really old. At this point, I'm just avoiding using the MPC to format.
By Goochallday Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:56 am
I've found in my experience with various samplers, that, it is almost always best to format your cards on a PC or Mac (Linux too). Personally I prefer to format my cards on a Mac. I haven't had an issue yet. Using a 256gb Walmart house brand (Onn) SDXC card.