MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Tph Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:09 pm
Anybody ever experience a problem where you hear some crackling sounds followed by playback freezing, hopefully somebody knows how to fix it, thanks
By EnochLight Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm
Tph wrote:Anybody ever experience a problem where you hear some crackling sounds followed by playback freezing, hopefully somebody knows how to fix it, thanks

No, this is not normal - but you also are withholding too much information for us to offer solid advice. For instance:

• Is this standalone or in the desktop software? Controller mode?
  • What version of the firmware are you on? Did you do a Preferences reset after updating to the latest?
  • What's your Project look like (how many tracks/instruments/plugins/etc)?
  • Are you using a class compliant USB interface instead of your MPC's built-in audio?
  • Look at your CPU/RAM during playback - what's the meter say?
  • Did you install an SSD? Are you using a USB SD Card or USB stick?
  • Is there any other hardware hooked up? Any other USB or 5-pin DIN MIDI devices? Any CV devices?
  • Is your MPC new or used? Did you (or a previous owner) delete any factory content?

:hmmm: :nod:
By djst Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:42 am
I have this problem all the time with heavier projects when in standalone. I've found that when I get closer to a full song and my focus gradually shifts from producing to mixing, it's better to use the MPC in Controller Mode tethered to the computer as that eliminates this performance problem and has the benefit of making song exports to mp3 10x faster than when using the MPC One's relatively slow CPU.
By EnochLight Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:31 pm
dryad-66 wrote:Does the One and Live have the same relatively slow CPU?

The MPC One, Live, Live II, X, and Force all have the exact same SoC (CPU/RAM/motherboard).
By Ibunshi Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am
This is something that can also happen if you have loads of plugins and automation going on, putting a heavy load on the cpu..

So, say that you have a track with a lot of elements.. Different synths with a bunch of delay effects and whatnot.. And as the track builds up in elements and things happening, once you start to break the limits of the mpc you may get weird stuttering sort of crackling sounds and lagging as the mpc struggles to play through the sequence..

Last time this happened to me, it caused some issues when I tried to actually record all tracks as stems into Cubase.. Because 5 minutes into the track or so, it would start crackling because of the heavy load build up..

So I solved it by deleting all synth plugins except for the one to be recorded.. Then once I got it, I hit undo until I had all plugins back.
and then deleted all again except for the new one I wanted to record.. Rinse and repeat.

This reduced the load and I could record without the stuttering.

So I would not worry UNLESS I heard this in a fresh track with not much going on..

But if it happens to a project that you have worked on for some time and kept adding plugins and effects to, then I'd check to see if I can prevent it from crackling by deleting the plugins that are in use, just to confirm that it is not just the effects of a heavy load.