MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:59 pm
So I'm building an Expansion for my JX-8P, and I'm having difficulty getting the Filter Cutoff controlled by my MIDI keyboard controller's Modulation Wheel. I've got a pad that I want to be able to open the filter on with the Mod Wheel. Can someone point me in the right direction for getting this to work?

I can get my Pitch Bend to work fine under Controller Mod on the Porta/Mod page, but can't get the Filter to open up via my Mod Wheel to save my life.

Cheers
By EnochLight Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:41 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Mod wheel is mapped to lfo, not filter cutoff. So with a mod wheel setting of max 100 you can control how much lfo modulation occurs in each keygroup. I don't think this can be changed.

ARRRRGHHHH!!! I was afraid of that. I can see this is how it is mapped out on that page. Time to make a feature request! Lol :lol:
By jabberwalky Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:08 pm
I ran into this issue too. Stupidly, they don't have any flexibility in mod wheel routing, for keygroups. You can even use midi control to route Mod wheel to specific pads cutoff in drum programs, but keygroup programs have no options to edit parameters.

There is a workaround, but involves just adding the Air Filter onto that track, and midi control routing the wheel to the cutoff of the filter plugin. It achieves a similar thing, kind of....then you run into the issue that the wheel isn't recorded as midi, but you have to use automation. Maybe there's some other workaround to record the wheel into midi grid??? I'm not sure.

The hoops this thing forces people to jump through...to achieve things musicians have been doing for 40 years...confounding.
By EnochLight Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:51 pm
jabberwalky wrote:I ran into this issue too. Stupidly, they don't have any flexibility in mod wheel routing, for keygroups. You can even use midi control to route Mod wheel to specific pads cutoff in drum programs, but keygroup programs have no options to edit parameters.

There is a workaround, but involves just adding the Air Filter onto that track, and midi control routing the wheel to the cutoff of the filter plugin. It achieves a similar thing, kind of....then you run into the issue that the wheel isn't recorded as midi, but you have to use automation. Maybe there's some other workaround to record the wheel into midi grid??? I'm not sure.

The hoops this thing forces people to jump through...to achieve things musicians have been doing for 40 years...confounding.

Totally agree. I thought about doing an Air Filter insert, but it won't work for people who install the Expansion without doing some controller setup. I guess for my own personal use it's an option, though really cumbersome. Man I hope they consider adding this as a feature!
By T-Monk Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 pm
There's a hack for that. I used to do this on the Ensoniq ESQ-1.

Assign the LFO to filter at 100%, set the Wheel>LFO to 100%, then set the LFO to Square wave with the slowest speed (0.02Hz).

In theory it will play a very slow LFO (50 seconds long) which alternates between min and max values, but for basic play you will be telling it how much LFO (value max of filter since it is square LFO and starts at the top) you want to add to the filter value.

Hope that helps.
By sparky Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:09 pm
Feel like I’m missing something here… followed the steps laid out above but it’s not working. Played around with depth options etc to see if that was it but no… weird that such a basic feature is still not implemented. Where oh where is the mod matrix of the 4K, it would be so useful for sound design on the new machines.