MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:31 am
TT_Lab wrote:I see a lot of fear of missing out in this posts lately.
By kja Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:35 am
I think if you would rather use a fantom or a computer then do you, everyone should used what works for them. I'm not wanting people to buy anything or into arguing.. I would rather invest in my mpc personally because I know I work better with it then trying to hook something else to it for rompler sounds, that's not even my focus.. is good I can use my sequencer as a rompler so I don't need one, but I'm into sampling, analog synth's, elektron, etc much more.. that's why those is a good decision for me.. I'm not that worried about $500 that I will forget about in a week or two but have these sounds forever.. so do you man.. I'm not afraid of something though, especially not spending half a rack.
By hyena Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 am
i'm demoing the OPx4 on my live mk1, still 7 days left to demo it. i think it's a great plugin, kind of mid way between Ableton's Operator and NI FM8. 4 ops but with full on open fm matrix, feedback everywhere, possibility to do every kind of crazy circular fm, chaotic sounds ahead :)
the envelopes are good and flexible, the effects are great. this is i think the only one of the new plugins i will end up buying because i never liked romplers, never felt the need for them. i like the Electric plugin for electric piano sounds, so that area is covered. not much into hype either, too much of a preset machine for my taste, but very usable when you just need to add that extra track quickly... i'm not buying opx4 right now, i'll wait for a discount, but i think it is worth the $$
By jabberwalky Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:35 pm
hyena wrote:i'm demoing the OPx4 on my live mk1, still 7 days left to demo it. i think it's a great plugin, kind of mid way between Ableton's Operator and NI FM8. 4 ops but with full on open fm matrix, feedback everywhere, possibility to do every kind of crazy circular fm, chaotic sounds ahead :)
the envelopes are good and flexible, the effects are great. this is i think the only one of the new plugins i will end up buying because i never liked romplers, never felt the need for them. i like the Electric plugin for electric piano sounds, so that area is covered. not much into hype either, too much of a preset machine for my taste, but very usable when you just need to add that extra track quickly... i'm not buying opx4 right now, i'll wait for a discount, but i think it is worth the $$

Agreed. I'd buy the Opx4 when a discount comes along. Best one by far. I'm a big time FM dude, so I kinda buy all of them. The addition of the sampled layer gives it a vibe of the old Yamaha Sy77, or TG33.
By marctronixx Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:42 pm
traded in my 3 year old fantom 8 for this. the f8 was a beast and it was the brain center of my suite after i sold my mpc x to get it.

sadly for me, i severely was underutilizing the f8 so when i saw this pop up, on impulse (someone in this thread said people dont by workstations on impulse -- i do. i also bought the f8 3 years ago on impulse) i called one of the local guitar centers and the one closest to me had 3 and two of them were taken on launch day. i told him to hold it and that id trade in my f8. 10% off PLUS i got cash back as the f8 has some equity with GC.

i picked up a 1tb ssd.

this works better for me because i carry my retro mpc one when im at the office and when i get some downtime ill pull it out and kick around on it. when i had the f8 i could not easily just pop in the sd card and continue so i had to do some workarounds to get my idea from the ONE into the f8, now with this 61 key all i have to do is pop in the sd card (ive got a reader for the 61 key) and copy over the idea and continue.

someone also mentioned this synth is not targeted to people who already have an mpc. i disagree. it makes sense to people like me who do not use computers for beat making and want to stay in the hardware world. to add, i don't want to carry this around no matter how light it is, but i will carry my mpc, so i can go from portable to synth simply via an sd card.

the 61 key is now the center and it controls my sp2400, prophet 10 rev 4 (rip Dave!) and jupiter x. ive even used the cv out to control the P10 rev4.

/lurk.... :popcorn:
By broken diodes Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm
liveattheforum wrote:
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:Serious question, how many people here use the CV/Gate outs of their MPC frequently? I have a few CV synths, but they also support MIDI, so I hardly do.

How many of you prefer CV/Gate outputs over more audio inputs and outputs?

I have absolutely no use for CV/Gate. Would definitely prefer more inputs/outputs instead.

However, they could have accommodated both by adopting a configuration similar to the Live II. Have the row of CV/Gate above a row of audio ins/outs.

I use CV/Gate all the time
By marctronixx Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:00 pm
Mate,

Ive had no issues with it syncing all the gear i listed. Ive a MOTU midi timepiece av i use to have more flexibility with how and what i want to sync.

the cv inputs work just fine on this version of software. as mentioned i use it to trigger my p10 rev 4 (rip Dave) and it sequenced it fine. ive not seen any lagging as many have witnessed on the mpc a couple software versions ago.

the keybed feels really close to the p10 rev4s keybed, but my jupiter x has fatar which is a different feel and lovely to play with.

ive only done some basic line testing with the 61 key and the sp2400 but they both seem to lock and play well.

MPC-Tutor wrote:
marctronixx wrote:the 61 key is now the center and it controls my sp2400, prophet 10 rev 4 (rip Dave!) and jupiter x. ive even used the cv out to control the P10 rev4.

How is it at controlling other hardware, i,e, as a MIDI controller keyboard? Any problems?
By J-Fly Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:52 pm
I'm sure the MPC Key 61 has pad tap sampling. Does anyone know if when sampling that you can assign samples to the keys just like you can with the pads? That would be a game-changer in my opinion.
By Uncle Dieppe Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:27 am
Anyone getting any clicks when on their Key 61 playing the Op4 plug in,if you turn off the operators you can hear like a click on the initial press of the keys from the plug in itself I have tried messing with the Envelopes but still seems to be there,rather annoying :? :?