MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Uncle Dieppe Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 pm
This is the first time in over 30 years of buying synths that i have jumped in on a workstation upon release,a lot of the time I have held off until things like bugs and stuff had been ironed out,but i think with this Key61,we are already familiar with what the OS does, so it's not like any of us are being led off a cliff top and buying a lemon, this technology has been around for over 5 years since the X so I dont know why the negativity towards it, what Akai have done over that time I have watched and waited to jump ship onto the newer generation and Ive been pleasantly surprised to see the journey of this OS,so great to see them branch out to the Keyboardists market

this is a fantastic move from Akai in my opinion, although I must add that in all the years of using Korg/Roland Workstations since the early 90s I never in a million years would have thought Akai would have made the Workstation of my dreams,obviously I have always used MPCs but to bolt there technology into a workstation keyboard is fantastic of all the Workstations I've used it was always the shitty Sequencers that fell short, even the beasts like Kronos and Oasys they really missed a trick with those,hence why I always stuck with the MPC4K to sequence them,if only Korg had made this type of MPC sequencer inside the Kronos/Oasys,taking advantage of the Touchscreens then holy shit would that have been a match made in heaven.

Ok the MPCkeys is never gonna be the fully polished sound source like a Kronos,but who knows where it may lead from here on, certainly the content I've heard so far has got me excited and its sure is giving us the basics that any gigging keys player would need, and a step in the right direction.

For once I can really see this being the central hub of my studio, the MPC one I currently have is already doing that Job but to have a Keyboard Workstation that I can take out gigging without several separate devices is bloody wonderful Top marks to Akai on this

I know some of the users are pissed over the Plug in prices to upgrade the current other MPC models, in reality I think Akai have done this to push those who want them to maybe consider upgrading to the flagship Keyboard,I would rather pull the plug and go all out for the Workstation than essentially a $500 virtual licence, this is why i ditched Reason software,I have spent more money with extra rack extensions that would exceed the price of this MpcKey but still i grew frustrated with the way it always left you wanting more, all for what? i found myself spending time obsessing over all the extra crap that it detracted my music making out put,I haven't felt so much more inspired with this newer generation of MPC,that its stopped me using my trusty old MPC4000 and thats really something after having it for 20 years.

I'm sure if you all be patient enough they will have some kind of sale for the newer suite of plugins eventually..... With whats already inside the MPC theres more than enough content to keep most users turning out the tunes for a long time, spend the time channeling your energy into making beats and not venting at Akais pricing policy

after a short stint with the MPC one I'm truly looking forward to getting my hands on this Keys model

Thankyou Akai :mrgreen:
By SakisX Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:36 pm
otoc wrote:I got my MPC Key 61 today. I'm ecstatic about my purchase coming from an MPC Live 2 Retro (started with 2kXL, then MP1k, then 2500, and then abandoned MPCs until the Live 2 Retro came out like 1-2 years ago).

I'm actually really surprised how much better the pads are than the Retro Live 2. Even though they are smaller, they are way more responsive and articulate. No false-triggers, and no double notes. The keybed doesn't feel cheap. It definitely feels better than most keyboard controllers. I installed an SSD drive with all my stuff from the Retro Live 2 with no issues. The entire unit has a nice weight to it. It doesn't feel cheap. I was apprehensive about the location of the pads, screen, and q-links but they are all within reach and in comfortable spot. I really really appreciate the angle of the top section. The screen is easier to view than the Live 2. Hooked up the cv outs to my modular gear and it was super fun to play/sequence modular synths with it.

I've never liked having cables everywhere and separate keyboard controllers, so having this all in one instrument with keys, pads, sampling, CV, effects, assignable knobs, etc. feels really frigging good.

As I'm typing this, I remember always buying and returning midi controllers that have keys and then pads on top - the pads are always terrible. I'm really impressed with the pads on the MPC Key and I'm glad Akai didn't cut corners with the pads. They feel like an upgrade from the Live 2, even though they are smaller.

I hope this product line continues to evolve. This DAW-in-a-box with the MPC sampling/sequencing dna is really powerful and conducive to creativity. It's so fast and easy to get going, and to craft your own sound.

I'm happy with it as-is, but I would love to see an MK2 version of this with 16 OLED-labeled Q-Link encoders (like the X), and a second screen. The sound design capabilities of this thing with both the synth engines and the sampler are only matched in actual computers, so a second screen would be great so that you don't have to keep flipping back and forth through editor pages. For example, when tweaking samples - it would great to simultaneously see envelopes, start/end points/, filters instead of switching views constantly. Same with any synth. It gets a little annoying going through different pages to edit simple synth things like a filter and an envelope. This is why I think 16x oled encoders is also a must-have.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Sorry, I don't have any links for you to show off. I've been writing music for ~25 years because I love it, not for grammies or YouTube subscribers. I probably suck anyway, but I love this stuff. :o

Glad you like it , well it seems there's nothing wrong to complain (price is subjective) , it's great piece of hardware :)
A quick note , since I've played for few hours on 1st gen mpc live and had mpc one for long time , I guess your live retro had lemon pads ,some (few) people have mentioned this
By Lampdog Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:05 pm
Uncle Dieppe wrote:Ok the MPCkeys is never gonna be the fully polished sound source like a Kronos, but who knows where it may lead from here on.

This.

It can't deal toe to toe with Korg, Roland, Waldorf but this entry is bantom weight swinging accurate punches imo. It's I'm speaking on the Synth additions specifically.
TubeSynth was a warmup imo.
Hype proved they are looking at the ring intently.
These new plugins, boxing gloves are being fitted.
By vezhen Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:09 pm
Hey Tutor I have the Bible for MPC X, MPC Live and Beat making on the MPC 2000XL, MPC2500 and MPC5000. Will You be Doing a manual for the MPC kEY 61?
By kja Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:51 pm
TonyO. wrote:Now that the initial euphoria leading up to and surrounding the launch of the MPC Key is over, I’m beginning to feel anger, bitterness, and disappointing. Im left feeling like I just broke up with a x girlfriend.

I'm just curious, but why? Your angry and disappointed? What were you expecting? Everything that has come is almost perfectly what most people were expecting. Did you expect more free stuff then two new fx plug ins plus a whole lot of new features? Is the keyboard cost too much? The plug ins? They charge 50-70 for their expansion packs so how much did you think they would be? Less?
Did you just not think of any of this? I'm just curious and don't get this thinking.. For me it was like Christmas, even though I can't afford the keys.. New stuff is usually expensive though right?
By Straker Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm
kja wrote:
TonyO. wrote:Now that the initial euphoria leading up to and surrounding the launch of the MPC Key is over, I’m beginning to feel anger, bitterness, and disappointing. Im left feeling like I just broke up with a x girlfriend.

I'm just curious, but why? Your angry and disappointed? What were you expecting? Everything that has come is almost perfectly what most people were expecting. Did you expect more free stuff then two new fx plug ins plus a whole lot of new features? Is the keyboard cost too much? The plug ins? They charge 50-70 for their expansion packs so how much did you think they would be? Less?
Did you just not think of any of this? I'm just curious and don't get this thinking.. For me it was like Christmas, even though I can't afford the keys.. New stuff is usually expensive though right?

Well 149$ for ordinary plugins is not very nice.
They just sound as ordinary plugins.
You are all at honeymoon.
It's nothing special, not even at the level of today's quality of Roland or computer plugins.
That's why people are disappointed.
Too expensive and meanwhile bugs pop up here and there.
So Mpc users who rely on sampler and sequencer are disappointed.
By kja Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm
I have the best plug ins, I bought some. They were sounds the same price but I'm not gonna get into prices.. I get why you are mad now. These sound just as good basically who are you kidding, I think maybe you are telling yourself thru don't sound as good because of the price.. I knew they were gonna be expensive, no way they couldn't be.. I just didn't realize they were gonna have so many, I figured a couple for $200 at most.
By Straker Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:24 pm
kja wrote:I have the best plug ins, I bought some. They were sounds the same price but I'm not gonna get into prices.. I get why you are mad now. These sound just as good basically who are you kidding, I think maybe you are telling yourself thru don't sound as good because of the price.. I knew they were gonna be expensive, no way they couldn't be.. I just didn't realize they were gonna have so many, I figured a couple for $200 at most.

Ordinary plugins that should be not more then 50$ each.
Man, we have 2gb between OS and Ram.
They made the best they can, that's true.
But still with this soc we are dealing with limited resources, it's totally unfair to sell you limited plugins for 149$.
By kja Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:46 pm
Straker wrote:
kja wrote:I have the best plug ins, I bought some. They were sounds the same price but I'm not gonna get into prices.. I get why you are mad now. These sound just as good basically who are you kidding, I think maybe you are telling yourself thru don't sound as good because of the price.. I knew they were gonna be expensive, no way they couldn't be.. I just didn't realize they were gonna have so many, I figured a couple for $200 at most.

Ordinary plugins that should be not more then 50$ each.
Man, we have 2gb between OS and Ram.
They made the best they can, that's true.
But still with this soc we are dealing with limited resources, it's totally unfair to sell you limited plugins for 149$.

I mean ya, I agree with all that.. but still, their expansions are $50!! I knew it was gonna be over priced because that is their mo.. but I don't get mad about it.. they are not plug ins.. that is the thing, they can charge what they want..
By kja Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:08 pm
Straker wrote:Just wait a bit and you pay them half of the price

The problem with this thinking is by the time they come down any in price, there will be new ones everyone wants and you will always be playing catch up while some that are not being cheap well always have the new stuff because they value the mpc platform development.
By TT_Lab Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:49 pm
kja wrote:
Straker wrote:Just wait a bit and you pay them half of the price

The problem with this thinking is by the time they come down any in price, there will be new ones everyone wants and you will always be playing catch up while some that are not being cheap well always have the new stuff because they value the mpc platform development.

So your argument is that if you wait you will be playing catchup to presumably future plugins that come out. So what, just until 4 days ago noone knew for sure there will be this paid instruments, and no one was missing out. Now suddenly for waiting for a fair cheaper price you are less than others, that's a stretch. I see a lot of fear of missing out in this posts lately.
By kja Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:19 pm
TT_Lab wrote:ust wait a bit and you pay them half of the price

The problem with this thinking is by the time they come down any in price, there will be new ones everyone wants and you will always be playing catch up while some that are not being cheap well always have the new stuff because they value the mpc platform development
So your argument is that if you wait you will be playing catchup to presumably future plugins that come out. So what, just until 4 days ago noone knew for sure there will be this paid instruments, and no one was missing out. Now suddenly for waiting for a fair cheaper price you are less than others, that's a stretch. I see a lot of fear of missing out in this posts lately.[/quote]
I don't have a argument, I just want the sounds that's all