MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Sun May 22, 2022 5:33 pm
Mofos are spolied and want too much, expecting v12 performance in a v6 platform.
By Christov Sun May 22, 2022 7:38 pm
Lampdog wrote:Mofos are spolied and want too much, expecting v12 performance in a v6 platform.

Word. Sh*t is getting crazy over here (meaning this subforum - not the other subforums), people buying machines and expecting them to do stuff that isn't even listed in the features and getting angry at Akai for it.

Do your research before you spend a couple of hundred dollars/euros and then find out some features that you really need aren't included. If you buy a Ferrari you don't b*tch about the lack of trunk space.
By HUBA Sun May 22, 2022 7:48 pm
Christov wrote:If you buy a Ferrari you don't b*tch about the lack of trunk space.

No but you'd think they'd mention it if you can't get it past second gear
By Lampdog Tue May 24, 2022 7:28 am
I’d love love some *******. Aint nothing like ********* on my **********.
**** great because ***** can do so much ********* but then not sure if I’ll use ********** cause Ableton has ********* ya know. It’s frustrating.
By Uncle Dieppe Tue May 24, 2022 10:36 am
Well Summer Namm is just around the corner,I wouldn't be surprised if Akai drop that MPCKey into the mix

Makes me wonder why in the latest update from Superbooth demo they added that Keyrange option for instruments, and the fact they've added setlist and direct instruments browsers ,this is something workstations utilise, the vast majority of typical MPC users wouldn't really be that bothered about these types of features its not something that I've bothered with in 20 years of using an MPC,but it has been beneficial when I've used workstations

Akai would have been stupid to simply just dump the current MPC OS features into a Keys version without these, Why simply just bolt a keyboard controller onto the The MPC lineage, who is going to buy that, unless it has more live keyboard playing features, they also need to bolt into the Keys version a full on Rompler/Synth,thats not reliant on the loading of samples they need to have a proper sound engine otherwise it probably won't appeal to many Keyboard players whom they are looking at aiming it at
By NearTao Tue May 24, 2022 12:02 pm
Akai has plenty of examples of their synths, samplers, and drum machines cross pollinating each other.

You add a keyboard, and you're likely trying to attract keyboardists. I would hazard to guess that Akai has done the research to see if the MPC workflow adds something to a keyboard player's workflow. Personally I would've guessed that they Force/keyboard would've been more interesting due to the arranger, but Akai must know something from their market research that we do not.
By Uncle Dieppe Tue May 24, 2022 2:03 pm
NearTao wrote:Akai has plenty of examples of their synths, samplers, and drum machines cross pollinating each other.

You add a keyboard, and you're likely trying to attract keyboardists. I would hazard to guess that Akai has done the research to see if the MPC workflow adds something to a keyboard player's workflow. Personally I would've guessed that they Force/keyboard would've been more interesting due to the arranger, but Akai must know something from their market research that we do not.

As a keyboardist myself I can tell you that the missing link has always been a decent sequencer in most workstations that’s why I’ve always used an mpc sequencerfor that,if you bolted a Korg Kronos to the Mpc workflow in one self contained unit that would be the perfect marriage for me both for live and studio use

Akai know this or they wouldn’t be bothering with the keys version what would be the point to it,they need to get it right though with the instruments side of things they can’t simply just rely on having everything coming from loading samples in,there needs to be a decent Rompler type synth that’s separate from the sampler side of things that has the ability to access large Gb of files at once

it needs to have a fully fledged sound source that’s not just aimed towards dance genres it has to be full of the usual sounds that a live player needs,quickly and easily editable, porting a Live or One into a new case with an MPK 61 keybed isnt going to attract a newer keyboardist customer.there are far better keyboards aimed at live players that do a better job

I hope they do release a decent MPcKeys as I will be all over it for sure and gladly do away with a stand-alone MPC4k and half of my synth collection
By NearTao Tue May 24, 2022 3:04 pm
I agree with you that the Keys almost certainly would need a ROMpler style instrument, but I kind of think that this is something that the MPC would greatly benefit from as well. The interesting thing that Akai has shown us is that they *can* add straight up synths, they *can* add synths that rely on wave tables and sample banks, and they still have their expansion library.

I feel like the expansions are fine for what they are, and there are plenty of good ones, but the expansion pack model today puts all of the onus on the user to manage memory, storage, and all the other junk, that a traditional ROMpler or workstation handles so much more nicely for you, and having tons of tracks available through the MPC software really does show that it can shine in this "noncommittal" space with the plug-in instruments.

Whether it is for a keyboard or mpc, I do think that that to uplevel the experience Akai needs to have a model that can handle/offload this file management/storage management/patch management for us. If I've got an expansion pack with 15 different pianos, I don't want to have to load all of them so I can audition them properly, and I don't want to have to clear out the memory by hand either if I don't like a key group or drum kit, and want to try something else. I appreciate the current system, I get why it is the way it is, and I think it is a clearly superior option in plenty of use cases, but when you want to fly, nothing beats having a well formatted and predictable ROMpler to just rapid fire through presets either...

Here's to hoping that June 23rd has a few more surprises for all of us :D
By Straker Tue May 24, 2022 3:45 pm
NearTao wrote:I agree with you that the Keys almost certainly would need a ROMpler style instrument, but I kind of think that this is something that the MPC would greatly benefit from as well. The interesting thing that Akai has shown us is that they *can* add straight up synths, they *can* add synths that rely on wave tables and sample banks, and they still have their expansion library.

I feel like the expansions are fine for what they are, and there are plenty of good ones, but the expansion pack model today puts all of the onus on the user to manage memory, storage, and all the other junk, that a traditional ROMpler or workstation handles so much more nicely for you, and having tons of tracks available through the MPC software really does show that it can shine in this "noncommittal" space with the plug-in instruments.

Whether it is for a keyboard or mpc, I do think that that to uplevel the experience Akai needs to have a model that can handle/offload this file management/storage management/patch management for us. If I've got an expansion pack with 15 different pianos, I don't want to have to load all of them so I can audition them properly, and I don't want to have to clear out the memory by hand either if I don't like a key group or drum kit, and want to try something else. I appreciate the current system, I get why it is the way it is, and I think it is a clearly superior option in plenty of use cases, but when you want to fly, nothing beats having a well formatted and predictable ROMpler to just rapid fire through presets either...

Here's to hoping that June 23rd has a few more surprises for all of us :D

Hype is not a Rompler style synth?
It does sound very good to me, it's the one I prefer of Mpc ones. If you disable all effects that overwhelm presets, it has some very nice sounds.
I would love some granular synth like GR1 or Reason's Grain where you can load your own sample or waveform.
By MPD MPK RAY Tue May 24, 2022 4:22 pm
Uncle Dieppe wrote:Well Summer Namm is just around the corner,I wouldn't be surprised if Akai drop that MPCKey into the mix

Makes me wonder why in the latest update from Superbooth demo they added that Keyrange option for instruments, and the fact they've added setlist and direct instruments browsers ,this is something workstations utilise, the vast majority of typical MPC users wouldn't really be that bothered about these types of features its not something that I've bothered with in 20 years of using an MPC,but it has been beneficial when I've used workstations

Akai would have been stupid to simply just dump the current MPC OS features into a Keys version without these, Why simply just bolt a keyboard controller onto the The MPC lineage, who is going to buy that, unless it has more live keyboard playing features, they also need to bolt into the Keys version a full on Rompler/Synth,thats not reliant on the loading of samples they need to have a proper sound engine otherwise it probably won't appeal to many Keyboard players whom they are looking at aiming it at

8)

Look at the current Maschine+........Akai beat them to the Standalone keyboard punch!

It has no Kontakt which is NI's actual horn and strings keyboard......... I can say nobody's got a box or board full of Air Structure or UVI Falcon multi sampled keyboard patches.
Rumored is it had the MPC sequencer too!

Piece of cake for Inmusic.
:nod: