MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Straker Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:09 pm
The real point is not the storage but how much the cpu can handle complex synth structures and polyphony.
Just check Hype, which is in my opinion the most interesting one on Mpc and also a sort of half rompler.
We move between 4 and 8 notes of polyphony, depending on oscillators.
That's quite poor for a serious workstation that is supposed to compete with Kronos, Fantom or the sort.
By Monotremata Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:14 pm
HUBA wrote:Haha! You're right I haven't. I hear they are pretty archaic. In several ways. :)

No I was thinking more like the EPS-16+. Haven't played with that one either, but it looks pretty impressive on paper to be from 1990, and the sequencer in it is always praised for its fast and easy workflow. I actually thought about getting one a year ago, and not only out of curiosity. I needed a compact multitimbral sampling keyboard with a friendly realtime sequencer. I ended up with a Roland FA06 instead, which is OK I guess, but doesn't really sample, and so except for having a bunch of fancy ROM sounds you can say it's superseded by the 30 year older EPS :lol:

Oh man the Mirage did all of its editing on a two digit display and you had to use the hexadecimal codes to pick what parameter to edit. It came with this chart with all the parameters and their codes so it wasn't too tough but it was like 'WTF were you thinking Ensoniq?' hahaha. The EPS and EPS16 were way better, just like the ASR. If you look at the labels on the 10 key, each number takes you right to a specific page of the parameters so its easy as hell to move around on them. I really want an EPS16+ one day but I just cant justify getting one. They're not as user friendly nowadays as something like an EMU is, and parts for the Ensoniqs are even harder to come by then old Akai stuff.
By Lampdog Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm
KaoticShock wrote:Thanks for the correction. It is 62GB of solid state storage. Is it built in or removeable?

(Also, it's $3400, interesting if the MPC Key 61 MSRP is that much)

My Kronos2 came with a 60gb internal.There is another slot for a 2nd drive as well.

Kronos2 can also use usb storage just like any other device.

I bought mine used, og owner used it 1 week, returned to to the store, he didn’t like the feel, $1700, super excellent condition.
By EnochLight Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:37 pm
Straker wrote:The real point is not the storage but how much the cpu can handle complex synth structures and polyphony.
Just check Hype, which is in my opinion the most interesting one on Mpc and also a sort of half rompler.
That's quite poor for a serious workstation that is supposed to compete with Kronos, Fantom or the sort.

You make a good point, however; Kronos, Fantom, and MODX can't even come close to MPC's sequencer IMHO, and once it gets the Arranger from Force, it will make that difference even greater. I would like to see the MPC Key 61 have a dedicated CPU (or faster SoC) for virtual synths and other specialized "workhorse" uses, though. That said, something tells me it will share the exact same SoC as the MPC/Force line, I'm afraid..
By HUBA Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:49 pm
Straker wrote:Yeah I agree, 8 or 16 qlinks would make a big difference, much more then a bultin keyboard since we can already use any midi keyboard we want.
I would say that if they wanna make a good workstation, they should put one more chip only for synths, otherwise we are stuck to a very limited polyphony and stripped down synths from Air legacy of 10 years old plugins.

I haven't run into polyphony issues as much as sloppy MIDI timing, pops, gltches and hickups with somewhat busy projects, which I guess is more or less the same thing i.e. reaching the limit of processing power. I don't see them changing/adding cpu for one specific MPC model though.

Even more reason then not to skimp on things like knobs, ins and outs if the processor is indeed inferior to current workstations. Empty surface area is not going to help if the competition is already stiff in other areas, especially when the hardware part is exactly where it's possible to empty the gap or even surpass the competition for those who value an effective physical UI.
Four Qlinks and limited I/O may be perfect for a 49 key version. I see no need however for an empty space to place a trumpet on the 61 key model that could possibly surpass the need for proper physical control. Particularly considering the group of users likely to consider an MPC workstation over a Fantom if done right. Let's hope they get to their senses.
By HUBA Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 pm
Monotremata wrote:Oh man the Mirage did all of its editing on a two digit display and you had to use the hexadecimal codes to pick what parameter to edit. It came with this chart with all the parameters and their codes so it wasn't too tough but it was like 'WTF were you thinking Ensoniq?' hahaha. The EPS and EPS16 were way better, just like the ASR. If you look at the labels on the 10 key, each number takes you right to a specific page of the parameters so its easy as hell to move around on them. I really want an EPS16+ one day but I just cant justify getting one. They're not as user friendly nowadays as something like an EMU is, and parts for the Ensoniqs are even harder to come by then old Akai stuff.

Yeah doesn't sound like my patience would go along well with the Mirage..

I'm kinda in the same place with the ESP 16. The file handling seems painful and I'm not sure I'm tall enough to get my eyes far enough away from that display to decipher what it says without losing the flow completely. Didn't know about the key shortcuts. Sounds neat. Works great on the Miniak. Hmm..
By Straker Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 am
EnochLight wrote:
Straker wrote:The real point is not the storage but how much the cpu can handle complex synth structures and polyphony.

You make a good point, however; Kronos, Fantom, and MODX can't even come close to MPC's sequencer IMHO, and once it gets the Arranger from Force, it will make that difference even greater. I would like to see the MPC Key 61 have a dedicated CPU (or faster SoC) for virtual synths and other specialized "workhorse" uses, though. That said, something tells me it will share the exact same SoC as the MPC/Force line, I'm afraid..

I am afraid too.
I think nothing will change for Mpc users.
But that's good, an update gonna come also for use because I am sure it will have 3.0 or 2.10101010 ahah
By Straker Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:18 am
HUBA wrote:
Straker wrote:Yeah I agree, 8 or 16 qlinks would make a big difference, much more then a bultin keyboard since we can already use any midi keyboard we want.
I would say that if they wanna make a good workstation, they should put one more chip only for synths, otherwise we are stuck to a very limited polyphony and stripped down synths from Air legacy of 10 years old plugins.

I haven't run into polyphony issues as much as sloppy MIDI timing, pops, gltches and hickups with somewhat busy projects, which I guess is more or less the same thing i.e. reaching the limit of processing power. I don't see them changing/adding cpu for one specific MPC model though.

Even more reason then not to skimp on things like knobs, ins and outs if the processor is indeed inferior to current workstations. Empty surface area is not going to help if the competition is already stiff in other areas, especially when the hardware part is exactly where it's possible to empty the gap or even surpass the competition for those who value an effective physical UI.
Four Qlinks and limited I/O may be perfect for a 49 key version. I see no need however for an empty space to place a trumpet on the 61 key model that could possibly surpass the need for proper physical control. Particularly considering the group of users likely to consider an MPC workstation over a Fantom if done right. Let's hope they get to their senses.

I don't know if you ever tried a new Fantom. It's another planet.
For the rest, Mpc is better in all, workflow sequencer etc.
But for synth oriented people, mpc doesn't offer so much.
Then for me is ok, I am not synth oriented so I have all I need now on Mpc and I use Hype a lot plus sounds from a mc707 that I autosampled before selling it.
By EnochLight Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:17 am
Well, to be fair - MPC is a sampler first and foremost, and a virtual synth after. What I'm really hoping for (especially since the Key 61 will really need to make Keygroups shine) is for the Keygroups Program edit to be improved on the Porta/Mod page tab under the Controller Mod settings - we really need to be able to map the Mod Wheel on our keyboards to more things that just the LFO. At the very least, we need Filter Cutoff and Filter Resonance as additional options. The fact that the MPC Key 61 will have a Mod Wheel built-in (as it should) will only drive that weakness home even further.

If Akai continues to add features to the Keygroup Program editor, it could easily hold its own against other workstations. Give us new filter types, give us more editing and modulation options, maybe even add an analog and FM module from within the Keygroup editor, etc. I know Roland has a huge fanbase for its Zen-core and ACB stuff (I'm one of the ACB fans :P :lol: ); Akai just needs to keep adding features to Keygroups and step up the Expansions being offered to focus on sampler/wavetable-based synths to exploit an instrument with a 61-key layout.
By J.O.BEATS Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 am
johnnytravels wrote:What I really want to know is whether this keyboard version will allow chopping and drum program triggering from the keyboard. Because right now when I add a keyboard, the mapping is a mess

My guess is it'll function exactly like it does with an MPC Live/X/One connected to a midi keyboard. There's not going to be any major changes to the OS. It's going to be running the same OS as every other modern MPC
By Ultros Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm
I've been campin on this post cus i wanted to see what ppl thought. I dunno if im sold. I bet its gonna cost a pile of loot. Recently the mpc one took a $100 CAD jump, and a $200 USD jump. The force went up $100 CAD as well.
By HUBA Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:40 pm
Straker wrote:I don't know if you ever tried a new Fantom. It's another planet.
Then for me is ok, I am not synth oriented so I have all I need now on Mpc and I use Hype a lot plus sounds from a mc707 that I autosampled before selling it.

I agree that more cpu power would have been nice, but I highly doubt it being even considered by Akai at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

I haven't used a Fantom so I don't have much of value to say about the level of synths in Fantom vs the MPC. I'm synth and sampling oriented, and mostly use external devices for synth stuff. I bought the MPC for sampling and sequencing, and even though the MPC indeed offers more, I would still assume most other people considering an MPC would have roughly similar priorities and expectations.

I don't hear about many being terribly disappointed with it either. Sure, the sampling engine could certainly have more adventurous features, but all in all I think it's a joy to work with, particularly with the amount of effects available for tweaking things together. The overall workflow is pretty good too. Yeah the synths could certainly be enhanced if the processor would allow it, but as others have pointed out, the MPC is primarily a sampler, highly regarded for its sequencer and workflow. Which also is the best possible base for building a workstation IMO, as it's much easier to add those multilayered 200 GB piano sound packs later than the other way around.

Either way, IMO an MPC keyboard workstation should embrace the things that makes it what it is, and the priority should be rounding off the sampling engine with a proper mod matrix and continue perfecting the workflow, underlined by the best possible foundation hardware wise.
By Straker Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm
HUBA wrote:
Straker wrote:I don't know if you ever tried a new Fantom. It's another planet.

I agree that more cpu power would have been nice, but I highly doubt it being even considered by Akai at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

I haven't used a Fantom so I don't have much of value to say about the level of synths in Fantom vs the MPC. I'm synth and sampling oriented, and mostly use external devices for synth stuff. I bought the MPC for sampling and sequencing, and even though the MPC indeed offers more, I would still assume most other people considering an MPC would have roughly similar priorities and expectations.

I don't hear about many being terribly disappointed with it either. Sure, the sampling engine could certainly have more adventurous features, but all in all I think it's a joy to work with, particularly with the amount of effects available for tweaking things together. The overall workflow is pretty good too. Yeah the synths could certainly be enhanced if the processor would allow it, but as others have pointed out, the MPC is primarily a sampler, highly regarded for its sequencer and workflow. Which also is the best possible base for building a workstation IMO, as it's much easier to add those multilayered 200 GB piano sound packs later than the other way around.

Either way, IMO an MPC keyboard workstation should embrace the things that makes it what it is, and the priority should be rounding off the sampling engine with a proper mod matrix and continue perfecting the workflow, underlined by the best possible foundation hardware wise.

Yeah I totally agree.
I like my Mpc too, it makes what I need and makes it fast and reliable.
I didn't consider keygroups as a base for a workstation but you and Enochlight are right, there is more potential on them then in new Air synths with current cpu, especially with a disk streaming.
I actually use many sounds I autosampled from external synths but then there is a limit of tweakability which is a bit of a shame.
The strong point of Fantom, beside the very high quality of the presets and the deep editing of them, is the tweakability, morphing between oscillators, macros and so on, all at hands with knobs.
Anyway, let's see what the next update will bring, it's quite sure this Mpc key version will come up with an update.