MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TonyO. Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:36 pm
TonyO. wrote:Akai is going to be at Superbooth 2022 in Berlin from May 12-May 14. I wonder if we will see the MPC 61 Key announced on or before May 12th…
By MPD MPK RAY Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:12 pm

Companies that finish our beats are beating Akai to the beats I see.... Luna has that MOOG....

WHERE IS MY MPC Key 61?

Bug fixes, Mother Ducker upgrade to Duck/Kickstart, Class compliant usb issues(Make a video mastering in the standalone MPCX w SSL Big Six)

:?
By TonyO. Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:07 pm
Just upgraded to Protools Studio today. I like some of the new features including GrooveCell, SynthCell, and surround sound, but I hate the fact Protools is moving to subscription only software offerings!

Can’t wait for this MPC 61 Key which I think we’ll see any day now. Am I the only checking the internet multiple times in anticipation for the release of the Mpc Key 61? I really hope it allows for usb audio tracking, similar to how the ISLA S2400 tracks audio digitally. If it has that, it’s an automatic buy for me. My other three feature wishes are top-of-the-line AD converters, excellent feeling key bed, and I hope it has the ability to trim and chop samples using the keyboard. I hope Akai goes all out and throws everything they have into this keyboard. Peace out.
By HUBA Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:56 pm
TonyO. wrote:Am I the only checking the internet multiple times in anticipation for the release of the Mpc Key 61?

Nope
TonyO. wrote:I really hope it allows for usb audio tracking, similar to how the ISLA S2400 tracks audio digitally. If it has that, it’s an automatic buy for me.

Yeah I'm not against that or anything but it's a newish MPC with an integrated keyboard, so unless they installed the screen upside down or used the same horrible key bed as the one on the Miniak it's an automatic buy for me period.
That said, I would be lying if I told you I wasn't concerned about how much they've managed to screw things up and cripple its potential. As mentioned a couple of times before in this thread, they've already revealed it will only have a single row of qlink knobs, even though there's empty panel space enough for the remaining three, so it wouldn't surprise me if say it had no (physical) sub outputs either. Fingers crossed and all but if it wasn't obvious already, I don't share the more optimistic expectations of some here. Hope I'm wrong though.
TonyO. wrote:I hope Akai goes all out and throws everything they have into this keyboard.

+1000. We'll see
By Straker Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:59 pm
I still don't understand one thing.
What's the difference with this key61 and an Mpc Live with a usb or midi keyboard?
There is nothing new at all for me.
But maybe hopefully they start selling it with a 3.0 and Mpc users will also have the new firmware.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:07 pm
Straker wrote:I still don't understand one thing.
What's the difference with this key61 and an Mpc Live with a usb or midi keyboard?
But maybe hopefully they start selling it with a 3.0 and Mpc users will also have the new firmware.

We don't know for sure what hardware differences or special features this will have, other than perhaps a touch strip. It could have the I/O of the X.

There will no doubt be a new firmware released at the same time, at the bare minimum they need to add support for the new MPC to the firmware. I'm not sure why everyone still talks about '3.0'. I thought Akai put that idea to rest when they went from 2.9 to 2.10.
By Straker Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:19 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Straker wrote:I still don't understand one thing.

We don't know for sure what hardware differences or special features this will have, other than perhaps a touch strip. It could have the I/O of the X.

There will no doubt be a new firmware released at the same time, at the bare minimum they need to add support for the new MPC to the firmware. I'm not sure why everyone still talks about '3.0'. I thought Akai put that idea to rest when they went from 2.9 to 2.10.

Ok, fine.
Touch strip is a nice bonus.
But still you can get a usb keyboard with a touch strip.
So still nothing new.
There were rumors years ago about a 3.0 on Mpc or even a Force/Mpc common firmware.
But actually Akai went from 2.9 to 2.10.
What's next? 2.11?
It might be that it takes so long for a new update because Akai is working on a 3.0 for Mpc? Who knows.
The point is that key61 doesn't add anything so it must be that Akai is working on something since last update.
Let's see.
By EnochLight Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:39 pm
Straker wrote:There were rumors years ago about a 3.0 on Mpc or even a Force/Mpc common firmware.
What's next? 2.11?
It might be that it takes so long for a new update because Akai is working on a 3.0 for Mpc? Who knows.
The point is that key61 doesn't add anything so it must be that Akai is working on something since last update.
Let's see.

Plans change. The person from Akai who said something along the lines of "disk streaming would be a 3.0 thing" (this was at Gearslutz BTW) is no longer a presence in the forums, or anywhere else in Akai channels and hasn't been for many, many years. And yeah, like Tutor said - going from 2.9 to 2.10 suggests an actual "3.0" may be some time away, if at all.
By EnochLight Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:42 pm
Straker wrote:The point is ... that Akai is working on something since last update.
Let's see.

I don't think anyone doubts that! :worthy:
By Straker Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:53 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Straker wrote:There were rumors years ago about a 3.0 on Mpc or even a Force/Mpc common firmware.
What's next? 2.11?
Let's see.

Plans change. The person from Akai who said something along the lines of "disk streaming would be a 3.0 thing" (this was at Gearslutz BTW) is no longer a presence in the forums, or anywhere else in Akai channels and hasn't been for many, many years. And yeah, like Tutor said - going from 2.9 to 2.10 suggests an actual "3.0" may be some time away, if at all.

Yep.
Many things change in these last 2 years, plans, marketing, distribution, supplies.
I am quite sure Akai is baking something though, not just the key version.
And I have the feeling something will come out soon, not just the key version.
A good bugs fix, a new GUI and more touchscreen possibilities (moving slots, graphic eq etc) would be great.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:00 pm
Yes it was a throwaway comment from Dan gill, 'Oh that's probably some way off, a 3.0 kind of thing'. He was just using it as an indication of a feature that could happen some far off point in the future.

As for the hybrid MPC/Force firmware, that was a rumour started on social media entirely by customers, people just assumed that as the MPC was getting some features from the Force (and vice versa) that it was inevitable that Akai would just merge the two together eventually. Personally I think they will continue to share some features, but the two will ultimately remain two very different product lines.

It's just crazy how these throwaway thoughts from one or two random facebook /gearslutz posts a few years back can become so etched into people's minds that they've eventually come to be seen as the inevitable timeline.

As for the the MPC Key, I agree that it is very likely to effectively be nothing more than existing MPC hardware features with a MIDI keyboard bolted on, we know that Akai like to recycle hardware (and software) as much as possible across all the brands. And I think if there are any new software features, they'll be available to all the existing MPC models as well.
By Straker Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:09 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yes it was a throwaway comment from Dan gill, 'Oh that's probably some way off, a 3.0 kind of thing'. He was just using it as an indication of a feature that could happen some far off point in the future.

As for the hybrid MPC/Force firmware, that was a rumour started on social media entirely by customers, people just assumed that as the MPC was getting some features from the Force (and vice versa) that it was inevitable that Akai would just merge the two together eventually. Personally I think they will continue to share some features, but the two will ultimately remain two very different product lines.

It's just crazy how these throwaway thoughts from one or two random facebook /gearslutz posts a few years back can become so etched into people's minds that they've eventually come to be seen as the inevitable timeline.

As for the the MPC Key, I agree that it is very likely to effectively be nothing more than existing MPC hardware features with a MIDI keyboard bolted on, we know that Akai like to recycle hardware (and software) as much as possible across all the brands. And I think if there are any new software features, they'll be available to all the existing MPC models as well.

Well it's not totally true, Dan said clearly that Force and Mpc firmwares would merge, I was on that GS thread, I talked with him.
But anyway that was years ago, he is not working for Akai anymore and all changed drastically these last years.
So we can consider it a rumor and nothing more.
But yeah, there is something more then just a new Mpc key version going on.
Let's see what happens in May at superbooth.
By droussel Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:07 pm
It must also be kept in mind that version numbers are just that, version numbers and there is both a marketing aspect to it as there is a technological one. Usually major number (2.x -> 3.x) would be reserved for very big changes (breaking changes or very important new feature). Minor version (2.9 -> 2.10 -> 2.11) are for, well, minor things such as added functionality, but not breaking changes or stuff like that. Finally, fix versions are the 3rd number in there (2.9.0 -> 2.9.1) and are strictly bug fixes.

I personally don't care one iota what version number the next release will be, only that it addresses the known bugs and hopefully that there is some great new and useful features.
By Straker Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:54 pm
droussel wrote:It must also be kept in mind that version numbers are just that, version numbers and there is both a marketing aspect to it as there is a technological one. Usually major number (2.x -> 3.x) would be reserved for very big changes (breaking changes or very important new feature). Minor version (2.9 -> 2.10 -> 2.11) are for, well, minor things such as added functionality, but not breaking changes or stuff like that. Finally, fix versions are the 3rd number in there (2.9.0 -> 2.9.1) and are strictly bug fixes.

I personally don't care one iota what version number the next release will be, only that it addresses the known bugs and hopefully that there is some great new and useful features.

Yeah you are right but 3.0 makes sense because is the firmware used by Force.
Mpc users want the same GUI of Force because it's actually better and more modern.
I also don't care much but the mixer page on Force is much better then the one on Mpc.
For me anyway bugs fix is the most important thing for this Mpc, so that's the main point. 2.11 or 3.0 or whatever.
By EnochLight Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:45 pm
Straker wrote:Mpc users want the same GUI of Force because it's actually better and more modern.
I also don't care much but the mixer page on Force is much better then the one on Mpc.

I love the mixer page on Force (working on it and then having to manage the MPC's "mixer" is an exercise in insanity). :lol: But... I dunno - I'm not certain if I want the entire GUI of Force on the MPC. There's certain things about the MPC in its current form that just seems logical and works well - I hope they don't change that. And as much as I do want the Force's Arranger on the MPC, I want it as an option only - I don't want to give up how we can work with the MPC's tracks and sequences. In many aspects, it's far more powerful than Force (for instance, I can send MIDI cc program change info to the same external hardware synth on the same track on MPC, which is incredible. Can't do that on Force as each track's Clip's only allow 1 preset at a time).