MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JeriKo Jackson Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:08 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Still not sure why they haven't included more dedicated shortcut buttons, for example PROGRAM EDIT, which is probably the most used mode for me, love having it on the MPC one. There's so much space available, for example space for another group of 4 buttons to the left of the screen, loads of space to the left of the touchstrip or under the logo on the right. I get there's not 16 qlinks for cost and perhaps just to keep the X more special, but surely adding a few more shortcut buttons wouldn't have added any significant cost?

And function buttons... Akai kills me with these omissions.
By TonyO. Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:20 pm
NearTao wrote:My suspicion is that whatever test group they had to test the Key 61, wasn't a bunch of choppers and beat heads... which is cool... just means the target was to get new blood into the ecosystem and sell products in a space where they weren't overlapping too much with existing product lines.

The people who are in the market for the Key 61 in general do not already have an MPC, so they're not going to know what they are missing with Q-Links, or extra buttons or anything else... they are likely in the market for a decent key bed, some good piano/rhodes/organ/etc plugins, a bit of automation (hence 4 q-links), a basic sequencer, and a relatively low cost. All of this kind of stuff points more to the keyboard player first, and sets them up as a pathway into other Akai products, expansions are an easy path from the Key 61... and probably ensures a revenue stream into other keyboard related plugins and expansions.

I get how folks can see this new product as a slap in the face for long time MPC users to some extent, but as long as Akai stays with the platform it also means a chance that we'll continue to see updates for the foreseeable future. MPCs prior to the Live/X/One/Key61 line had much shorter support cycles... the MPC 1k/2.5k was only kept alive really from JJOS, and the MPC 5000 was a neat idea, but never really brought to a logical conclusion for what it really could have done.

Am I getting a Key 61? Nope... Am I getting the paid plugins? Not at $500 USD. Heck, would I even pick up a Key 61 XL that was a mashed up MPC X with a Key 61? Not likely... All this just tells me that it's not a device for me.

But would you pick up an MPC Key 37 if it had the same features and was priced substantially lower than the 61 Key? I think the Key will really take off when it goes portable. I think that’s where people will really see the value and this thing could see a lot more use and crush competition. People want to be able to be able to travel with a laptop and small keyboard and be productive without being bogged down by bulky equipment. Akai, are you listening? I need my MPC Key 37 by Christmas.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:31 pm
I thought about a 37 key Live mk3, but looking at my 37 key Korg micro key it's probably going to be too big and wide to be considered portable, not once you've added the bulk from all the MPC Live as well (excluding speakers). 25 key probably more realistic. Still think Akai should consider MPC Modular. Snap on your accessory of choice to the front - keys, speakers, qwerty keyboard, extra pads, touchstrips, extra I/O etc.

Roland boutique keyboard springs to mind.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roland-Boutiqu ... B015XURYFU

By Ultros Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I thought about a 37 key Live mk3, but looking at my 37 key Korg micro key it's probably going to be too big and wide to be considered portable, not once you've added the bulk from all the MPC Live as well (excluding speakers). 25 key probably more realistic. Still think Akai should consider MPC Modular. Snap on your accessory of choice - keys, speakers, qwerty keyboard, extra pads, touchstrips, extra I/O etc.

Yup. It makes sense in modular form.. not everyones prefered input device is a keyboard. maybe they play guitar or sample turntables or play a theremin or some shit lol. The input device is supposed to be optional, thats why we bought these boxes of filth so we could capture things. Using a giant ass kb isnt the most portable sampler, doesnt fit in the back pack.
By TonyO. Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:48 pm
When I said 37 Key is portable, I meant 37 key is the smallest of the large keyboards. I don’t feel limited on a 37 Key. It’s the largest small keyboard without having to compromise and play on a baby-sized 25 Key. I can’t do anything in a 25 key. I don’t know how anyone uses those tiny keyboards. And Akai, please if you make a 37 Key, keep the key size the same. Don’t give me those mini-sized keys. I hate mini keys. I have large fingers apparently. A 37 Key won’t fit in your backpack, but you can get a nice carry case for if and take it around to studios and traveling with it, again without having to compromise playing on a baby 25 Key mini keyboard. I think 37 is the perfect middle ground size between large (professional in-studio keyboard) and small portable keyboards without needing to compromise too much. I currently use a Novation SL 37 keyboard controller. Ever since I got that novation. I can’t use anything else. I have 61 Key and 49 key keyboards in my closet collecting dust. Size 37 is complete bliss for me. I can’t explain why, but I just fell in love with the size 37 keyboard form factor. And I really want an MPC, so hoping Akai rolls out a 37.
By TonyO. Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:11 pm
Attention Akai MPC new product development team: if Goldilocks was going to a studio at the Three Little Bears’ house, she’d probably say “this huge MPC Key 61 is too big, a 25 Key is too small, but the MPC Key 37 is Juuuuuuust Right” :)
By BeatWilson Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:15 pm
its like akai is listening but then purposely not listening... Depending on what the MPC XL has, it maybe the pivot point as to sell my mpcx and ditch nakai or buy the newest... we will see... I dont care for there business model these days... F em...
By TonyO. Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:42 pm
Now that the initial euphoria leading up to and surrounding the launch of the MPC Key is over, I’m beginning to feel anger, bitterness, and disappointing. Im left feeling like I just broke up with a x girlfriend.
By TonyO. Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:41 pm
Congratulations to anyone buying an MPC Key 61. It looks like a beast. If anyone on this forum buys one and creates a beat using it, please post the link to the beat on this thread. I want to hear someone make a banger on the 61 Key :)
By otoc Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:34 am
I got my MPC Key 61 today. I'm ecstatic about my purchase coming from an MPC Live 2 Retro (started with 2kXL, then MP1k, then 2500, and then abandoned MPCs until the Live 2 Retro came out like 1-2 years ago).

I'm actually really surprised how much better the pads are than the Retro Live 2. Even though they are smaller, they are way more responsive and articulate. No false-triggers, and no double notes. The keybed doesn't feel cheap. It definitely feels better than most keyboard controllers. I installed an SSD drive with all my stuff from the Retro Live 2 with no issues. The entire unit has a nice weight to it. It doesn't feel cheap. I was apprehensive about the location of the pads, screen, and q-links but they are all within reach and in comfortable spot. I really really appreciate the angle of the top section. The screen is easier to view than the Live 2. Hooked up the cv outs to my modular gear and it was super fun to play/sequence modular synths with it.

I've never liked having cables everywhere and separate keyboard controllers, so having this all in one instrument with keys, pads, sampling, CV, effects, assignable knobs, etc. feels really frigging good.

As I'm typing this, I remember always buying and returning midi controllers that have keys and then pads on top - the pads are always terrible. I'm really impressed with the pads on the MPC Key and I'm glad Akai didn't cut corners with the pads. They feel like an upgrade from the Live 2, even though they are smaller.

I hope this product line continues to evolve. This DAW-in-a-box with the MPC sampling/sequencing dna is really powerful and conducive to creativity. It's so fast and easy to get going, and to craft your own sound.

I'm happy with it as-is, but I would love to see an MK2 version of this with 16 OLED-labeled Q-Link encoders (like the X), and a second screen. The sound design capabilities of this thing with both the synth engines and the sampler are only matched in actual computers, so a second screen would be great so that you don't have to keep flipping back and forth through editor pages. For example, when tweaking samples - it would great to simultaneously see envelopes, start/end points/, filters instead of switching views constantly. Same with any synth. It gets a little annoying going through different pages to edit simple synth things like a filter and an envelope. This is why I think 16x oled encoders is also a must-have.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Sorry, I don't have any links for you to show off. I've been writing music for ~25 years because I love it, not for grammies or YouTube subscribers. I probably suck anyway, but I love this stuff. :o
By Lampdog Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 am
TonyO. wrote:Congratulations to anyone buying an MPC Key 61. It looks like a beast. If anyone on this forum buys one and creates a beat using it, please post the link to the beat on this thread. I want to hear someone make a banger on the 61 Key :)

It will sound the same as any other mpc w/ midi kybd.
By HUBA Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 am
NearTao wrote:The people who are in the market for the Key 61 in general do not already have an MPC, so they're not going to know what they are missing with Q-Links, or extra buttons or anything else...

Yeah well targeting the uninformed customer and alienating everyone else doesn't sound like a good business strategy to me. Workstations are typically not impulse purchases. It's not selling T-shirts on the street.

NearTao wrote:they are likely in the market for a decent key bed, some good piano/rhodes/organ/etc plugins, a bit of automation (hence 4 q-links), a basic sequencer, and a relatively low cost.

Then why choose the MPC Key over the alternatives? What reason is Akai giving here to help with the decision? Sampling? Yeah it does that. And the engine is OK for a drum machine. Period. For keygroups it's not even a joke. So what's happening there? If they were capable of providing a basic mod matrix suitable for keygroups you'd think they would have done so prior to the release of uh.. a keyboard. No?
As a workstation, all it really has going for it is a decent sequencer. Not a good foundation for skimping on I/O and physical control. Even with only the technical novice type of people in mind. They read reviews and talk with people before shelling out 2 grand on maybe their only piece of hardware. Usually.

In essence all Akai really have that could help persuading customers is for some reason left out. I guess they're trying to shield their other products but mostly what they're doing is demonstrating a poor understanding of their own market. Being sneaky and cunning towards your customers isn't by itself automatically a recipe for success. You actually need a product that is somewhat unique to begin with. At least don't remove the details that help make it so. Seems to me Akai is dribbling themselves more than anyone else here.
By Straker Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm
64hz wrote:Sorry for the question but those new plugins are €500,-???

Bit steep for me.

Wait for Key61 hype to calm down and they gonna be half price.
Now they are much overoverpriced to catch an audience of hypnotized customers that will realize thay paid 500$ when the hypnotism finish.