MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Dazzer1234567 Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:21 am
Hi folks,

Imagine this:

I have a sequence and two tracks

One track is a drum program and the other is a keygroup program (doing my bassline).

I have my MPC synced up to Cubase via midi clock with Cubase being the master.

Now, when i'm happy with my 4 bars of drums, i want to record the midi into Cubase for further arrangement because i prefer to do the macro arrangement in Cubase, not in the MPCs song mode. But i still want the bass track to trigger from the sequence before i also commit that to Cubase MIDI.

All is well, the MPC outputs it's MIDI from the sequence and Cubase records it.

But now comes the problem: i no longer want the MPC sequence to trigger the drum program, i want the MIDI in Cubase doing it.

But i see no way to disconnect that sequence, other than going in and actually deleting the MIDI notes in grid view.

Of course i can turn of sync in the MPC, and let all MIDI come from Cubase. But then i can no longer do any sequencing on the MPC while its locked to Cubase.

This is a bit strange to me, i would imagine that it should be possible to choose whether or not a sequence triggers a drum program, or keygroup program or whatever. Because i imagine other people might also be using an MPC in this sort of MPC / DAW hybrid way.

Any ideas?!
By SuperKonquer Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 am
Every track that is not one of the 8 audio tracks is a midi track. The type of track/program is responding to the underlying midi data. The button I mentioned tells the program to either respond to the midi data on that track, midi data from a external source, a combination of the two, or no response at all.
By Dazzer1234567 Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:16 pm
Thanks guys, got it working!

Just one more on this:

Am i right in thinking that a drum track can't output midi directly to the hardware midi outs?

So i need to first send it's "MIDI" to a midi track and use that to output to Cubase?
By Monotremata Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:06 pm
As SuperKonquer already said, any tracks that arent the specific 8 audio tracks are ALL MIDI tracks.
Your drum track is a MIDI track just like all the rest of them are. And yes it is perfectly capable of sending MIDI out just like the rest of them are.
By Dazzer1234567 Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:07 pm
Monotremata wrote:As SuperKonquer already said, any tracks that arent the specific 8 audio tracks are ALL MIDI tracks.
Your drum track is a MIDI track just like all the rest of them are. And yes it is perfectly capable of sending MIDI out just like the rest of them are.

Cool! ......... how do i choose which of my hardware MPC midi outs my drum program / track sends its midi to?

I can't find it because, unlike a midi program / track, a drum program / track doesn't (as far as i can see) have the option to choose a midi output.
By Dazzer1234567 Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:27 pm
Monotremata wrote:As SuperKonquer already said, any tracks that arent the specific 8 audio tracks are ALL MIDI tracks.

Just a little bumpizzle on this one, really curious how to get my drum track / program to output MIDI!?
By misterflibble Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:32 pm
Dazzer1234567 wrote:

Just a little bumpizzle on this one, really curious how to get my drum track / program to output MIDI!?

Go to Main and hit the little eye icon in the top right. It should pop out the configuration options for the track. In there, you'll find the MIDI config info.

You should consider getting the MPC Bible, it does a lovely job of covering all this. :wink:
By Dazzer1234567 Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:04 am
misterflibble wrote:Go to Main and hit the little eye icon in the top right. It should pop out the configuration options for the track. In there, you'll find the MIDI config info.

You should consider getting the MPC Bible, it does a lovely job of covering all this. :wink:

Thanks, but a drum track / program doesn't have any options to select a MIDI out in the place you suggested!

Only MIDI tracks have that.
By Calcaire Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 pm
as they told you, a drum track IS a midi track...press Little Eye on the left of main screen when you are on youre drum track to see all options , one of the little 4 buttons ( pad, program, midi, master) permits to access to MIDI Ins and outs of the track ... Please try to apply what we say and stop saying something so simple and useful doesn't eist :)