MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By proofofghosts Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:44 am
Ok - I know that there are issues with the q links (project level qxlink assignments aren't saved on power off in 2.10, I hope they address this - for live sets, it sucks having to re assign filters and delay parameters every time you power on...)

So, in the meantime, i thought I'd use midi learn to assign the endless encoders on my mpk mini to all my favorite parameters and see how that went.

Well, it didn't go well! I assigned my first encoder to the filter Cutoff on my master 1 and 2 channel. It jumps around and acts almost as if I had motion record on (not really, but kind of!?) And finally the notes being sent out via midi to external gear start to stutter and disappear. Then the whole thing kind of crashes

I know the mpk is fine, works with my daw - and I know that in the past midi learn (and of course, q link assign) worked fine...

Is it a choice between all the great new features of 2.10.1 with terrible midi problems and going back to 2.9 with working midi and qlinks but no wonderful new synths and effects??

Just wondering if anyone else has had this?

- I skimmed through the bug report and didn't see this issue, but I could have missed it...

Thanks
By proofofghosts Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:51 am
To clarify maybe... some time ago I sold my old midi keyboard and my old korg nanokontrol thing and picked up my current mpk mini. My experience with the nanokontrol (with the 8 faders and knobs) was that it worked great (in 2.9) when using midi learn. No issues at all.

So I'm wondering if there might be an issue with the mpk mini? It works with my daw (reaper) and for plugins on my computer... so I can't imagine it's the problem... but is there maybe some setting I'm missing? With the mpks settings, or with the MPC 2.10 1 settings for midi learn? Or is midi lean a known bug with the current firmware?

I would really like to figure this out, having control over parameters with endless encoders is pretty great for live shows!

Again, thanks!
By proofofghosts Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:00 am
Ok - so the MIDI learn assignments seem to work on fairly light projects - I set up a new project, loaded a couple programs, set up filters on subgroups and the main out. This seems to work.

On a busy project, (one with multiple sequences, and a bunch of programs (like for a live set - there are a bunch of drum and keygroup and synth programs - but the cpu and memory meter show that everything is still safely below any critical limit), when using midi learn on the subgroup or the main out filter, the filter parameter jumps around, the playback begins to glitch and eventually the whole machine freezes. When I delete the midi learn parameter, it's fine again. And once again - this has worked perfectly on older firmware.

Then I tried assigning a parameter on an insert at the program level. A filter on one of my drum programs. Again, the assigned parameter jumps around.

So now I tried assigning the MPK's knobs via midi learn to various parameters on the synth programs - this seems to work fine! The filter on the oddessy, the filter on the solina, the Oscillator mix on Hype... so far this works smoothly! I also assigned a knob to an fx send on one of the subgroups. This also works smoothly. Good news!

So this is def a bug in the 2.10 firmware. This wasn't an issue in 2.9. I hope they fix this! I love a lot of the new features, but q link assignment and midi learn to control inserted filters and effects on programs and subgroups are kinda a big deal...
By proofofghosts Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:52 pm
And just to illustrate that this isn't a processing power issue - assigning filter Cutoff to inserts on subgroups or on the master channel works smoothly as you would expect when assigning that parameter to a project level q link (except that these assignments don't save at power off)

So yeah, weird behavior. It looks and acts like you would expect a daw to behave when it is maxing out its cpu or ram, but of course this isn't the case (or maybe somehow assigning knobs with Midi learn does in fact require more processing power than I would have thought??)
By proofofghosts Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm
jabberwalky wrote:Interesting findings, thanks for sharing. I haven't run into this, but I have relatively small projects.

I try and set up my projects as streamlined as possible but still, when you are planning for a whole show, I need a number of programs loaded up. Most of my keygroups are single waveform and 1 layer, and most of the processing I do in subgroups, so even with 20 or so programs and several synth programs loaded, the strain on my cpu and memory are quite lite.

Yeah yeah!
By jabberwalky Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:56 pm
Hmm. I'll have to create my live set project soon. I definitely plan to shift over into live performance mode when I finish writing. Side-topic, how are you approaching the set? Are all of your songs in one project? Or is each song exported as a single sequence?

I've encountered stuttering with midi control before, but that ended up being that some encoders on my Bass Station 2 were sending dual CC data (a way they can create twice the knob resolution). So say I mapped one of those knobs to Air Filter, it would do a weird stutter effect all the way up the values. I'm assuming the APK is sending the proper linear range though.
By jabberwalky Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm
I've been able to recreate the weird issue you have, but don't see any reason why it happens.

I created a new project (30 keygroups, several sliders mapped to volumes) it won't do it. I open another older template project (very much similar to the new one) and when I midi learn a slider, it will erratically jump around values, the audio becomes garbled, screen feedback stops sometimes.

Even weirder, if I'm able to navigate before it crashes, I tried opening the new project after the erratic movements, and then the new project ALSO had the erratic movements. So even loading a new project retained this goofy shit.

Pretty odd behavior.
By BeatWilson Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 pm
I feel like its the firmware because I get messages daying all my drives have ejected. So like my SD Card my Thumb Drive and HD all disconnect and reconnect at once... I came up to the conclusion it was when I left an SD Card in the SD slot... Lastnight I started going through my "Internal storage" that we are not supposed to use and found some random empty folders I guess I saved on mistake so I deleted them. Hopefully that solves my issue because honestly... This update has ALOT of bugs... Like flattening a pad in program mode makes me crash most of the time. Before these last 2 Updates I had no issues at all more or less. I dont know what Akai is doing but they have to make the firmware more stable and kill off those damn bugs... Knowing them.... they are probably working on some stupid effects and vsts we all do not need or asked for.... sometimes I really dislike them.
By proofofghosts Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 am
jabberwalky wrote:Side-topic, how are you approaching the set? Are all of your songs in one project? Or is each song exported as a single sequence?

Yeah, I keep it all in one project - my mpc has been my main instrument, so loading a new project is a bit intrusive - I'm not really good at making small talk and dad jokes while the new project loads! So, keeping keygroups focused on the octave or 2 that I need, pretty much keeping a consistent kik for the set, just a couple different snares and hats... my microkorg as an outboard synth, so i can have a bunch of different sounds without taking the mpc too badly
By jabberwalky Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:19 pm
Is this the erratic behavior that is happening for you?

I guess my only solution, not really knowing the root of the problem (likely funky akai coding) is to try starting a new project or importing your existing sequences into it.

I can't make it freak out with my newer project, so it's possible it's something to do with projects created in older firmware versions...just a guess.
By EnochLight Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:59 pm
handthrow wrote:You can also check if there is automation recorded by accident -> in Grid view (lower panel with automation/levels) or in Erase menu in automation tab

This seems like the most likely explanation, IMHO.