MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By thousandisland Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:48 pm
Hey everyone,

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know where the MIDI device names originate from? For example, when I connect my Yamaha Reface DX to the MPC One I see "reface DX MIDI 1" in the MIDI I/O list. Is that name coming from a device list in the MPC Firmware? Or is it being grabbed from the external USB device itself?

The reason I ask is because I am using multiple Roland Boutique synth devices in my current setup and they all appear in the MPC One as "Boutique MIDI 1, Boutique MIDI 1 (2), Boutique MIDI 1 (3)..." as opposed to "SH-01A MIDI 1, D-05 MIDI 1, TB-03 MIDI 1..." etc. I have tried manually renaming them to what they actually are in the MPC One MIDI/SYNC settings but that doesn't really work 100% unless the MPC One "sees" the devices in the exact same order every time. (i.e. "Boutique MIDI (3)" is simply whatever Roland Boutique device it sees third)

Basically I'm just wondering if I should bother Akai about this or Roland about this as far as updating their respective firmware(s) to be more specific with the device names.

Thanks!
By Monotremata Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 pm
It comes from the device itself. The MPC doesn't know what its connecting to unless the other device has some way of telling it what's there. Its on Roland to fix their ID implementation in this case.
By thousandisland Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 pm
I figured as much. I just submitted a support thing on this "Roland Backstage" site but I'm not expecting much there to be honest. Looks like the last firmware updates for the Roland Boutiques were in January of 2019... might have to just ditch the USB with these and go straight MIDI to avoid the headache.

Thanks for the help, Monotremata.
By Monotremata Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:13 am
Damn they haven't updated any of those in that long?? I wonder if the newer ones like the Juno and JD-800 do it different now? Maybe you'll start a fire under them to update their device names haha. I would think they would show up as JP-8, J-106, etc.. I just ran into that at work a little bit ago. Customer bought a bunch of our wifi enabled projectors for their school, but the network name is hardcoded in the firmware, so when they try to mirror an iPad or an iPhone too it, they've got a whole network of the same device name and have no idea which projector they are mirroring too haha.
By misterflibble Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:00 pm
Just my $0.02 but I finally got around to configuring my Retrokits RK-006 with my Force this week, and it remembers all the port names that I edited into it after I changed them. I have tested unplugging and replugging the RK-006 with the Force both hot and cold and it remembers the ports every time. The port enumeration order did change after I renamed the ports, but not in a way that's a problem. The IN ports also showed up the first time (prior to me editing them) with the OUT port naming convention, but the ports were in the right place (where the inputs show up) and a quick rename solved all that for good. Probably just a bug in the Retrokits or MPC firmware.
By thousandisland Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:47 pm
I thought you all would appreciate this hilarious response from Roland:

"Thank you very much for contacting Roland regarding sharing product development ideas with us.

Please understand that Roland has been actively engaged in research and development in diversified scientific & business areas for many years. While we value and appreciate feedback from users, in order to protect both you and Roland we cannot solicit ideas or agree to receive any confidential ideas or technical proposals from persons outside Roland. Furthermore our role in customer support is limited to inquiries regarding product operation only.

Nevertheless, we do wish you luck in your endeavors.
Best Regards
Roland Customer Support"

Happy Friday, all. :smoker: