MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By djst Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:14 am
I'm wondering if anyone has done any testing to figure out what causes the MPC hardware to slow down? I monitor the CPU and RAM levels and they're at 70% and 40%, respectively, yet occasionally the whole song stops playing after coming to a crawl. It seems that Mother Ducker is at least a part of the problem because when the MPC is really struggling, I've also noticed that the Mother Ducker Input isn't triggering properly all the time / somewhat randomly.

What's more strange is that sometimes, the very same project seems to run fine, at least for a while. It's like diving into some settings triggers the MPC to become more slow, and I'm not really sure what triggers it. Also, sometimes it gets better again after a while, without reloading the project. It's as if it's doing something in the background for certain periods, possibly related to which pages you are in (editing Mother Ducker settings is a sure way to have it come to a crawl, for example).

I suppose I can just use the MPC in Controller Mode when doing mixing (it's usually at the end of the song creation process that I run into these issues) but it would be good to know if there are any best practices like "avoid running plugin X on a submix", or "avoid loading effect xyz on foo" to keep resources in control.

Also, can that CPU meter even be trusted? In my world, if the meter is at 70%, it shouldn't be struggling. I'd understand it if it peaks at 100% but that never happens.

The silver lining here is that all that happens is that sound playback freezes for 10 seconds or so, but the MPC never crashes and there is no dataloss. It's like the audio output interface crashes as a separate thread. There is never any error message.
By elstebbano Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:48 am
Bit off topic, but my mother ducker shows that behaviour when I use more than one sidechain send bus, even If there is not much going on on the CPU.
Another thing I found out was that the CPU goes up when I have a lot of programs with fx loaded and even when they are not actually playing. Mosty I just duplicate existing programs to tweak them and I the end I have 5+ unused duplicates of that program that are pushing up the cpu meter. So always delete unused programs, especially when they are equipped with fx..
By djst Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:32 pm
elstebbano wrote:Bit off topic, but my mother ducker shows that behaviour when I use more than one sidechain send bus, even If there is not much going on on the CPU.
Another thing I found out was that the CPU goes up when I have a lot of programs with fx loaded and even when they are not actually playing.

Great advice, thank you!