MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Certified Beatz Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:47 pm
Man I finally got back into music and decided to create templates for my DAW cubase 11 pro.. I was using stand-alone in cubase but had a ton of issues with outputs.. now u finally created a template to be able to record directly into my DAW for now I created 16 stereo tracks will see if I can make mono tracks but I will say after tweaking the mackie control which triggers the MPC I got it working great. Just wish I can figure out to have the MPC host the DAW so I can use tap tempo for new I just use cubase tap tempo... wow I got to say it a good step forward.. if course the timing not a fan but worming on a fix for that also.. happy user now..
By v00d00ppl Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 am
Hi Certified. Are you using the bounce option in the MPC software or using the physical outputs ? Are you running the X in your setup?
By Monotremata Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:09 am
Enable external sync in Cubase and set the MPC and Cubase up properly and you can sync it to the MPC. Same thing as setting up the MPC to sync to the DAW, only in reverse. Tap tempo is only going to work on the MPC, but once you hit play Cubase should adjust its tempo accordingly and follow along with the master clock.
By Certified Beatz Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 am
Monotremata wrote:Enable external sync in Cubase and set the MPC and Cubase up properly and you can sync it to the MPC. Same thing as setting up the MPC to sync to the DAW, only in reverse. Tap tempo is only going to work on the MPC, but once you hit play Cubase should adjust its tempo accordingly and follow along with the master clock.

I look again but im using it in controller mode with the vst plugin.. I will check again.. thanks
By Certified Beatz Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:32 am
v00d00ppl wrote:Hi Certified. Are you using the bounce option in the MPC software or using the physical outputs ? Are you running the X in your setup?

I use my motu 828es as my audio card and physically track out 16 stereo tracks.. all vst's I use in cubase to finish my beat..

Works well so far..
By Monotremata Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:46 am
Certified Beatz wrote:
Monotremata wrote:Enable external sync in Cubase and set the MPC and Cubase up properly and you can sync it to the MPC. Same thing as setting up the MPC to sync to the DAW, only in reverse. Tap tempo is only going to work on the MPC, but once you hit play Cubase should adjust its tempo accordingly and follow along with the master clock.

I look again but im using it in controller mode with the vst plugin.. I will check again.. thanks

Ahh ok that probably won't work then that way. With the plugin, its going to be dependent on the host for its tempo, so there isn't any way around that other than using Cubase's tap tempo feature. However, if you use the MPC in standalone, you can use the Network MIDI app and sync it over MIDI that way, so when you hit play in the host, it starts the slave too and follows along. Cubase is pretty awesome in that it lets you sync to an external source. Cant do that in Logic Pro anymore, Apple wants Logic to be the master no matter what.

Thats pretty much how I work until its done and I just record all my tracks into Cubase/Logic at the end. I just picked up Cubase Pro last month and have been relearning it (the last version I owned was VST32 back in 2000 or so). I used to do everything in the MPC, track into Logic when done, then mix and call it a day. But with Cubase letting you use external sync, now once my project in the MPC starts getting its layout together, I fire up Cubase, sync it to the MPC and start making markers in Cubase where my different sections go. Once Ive got most of it ready, I can work in the MPC and Cubase at the same time so if I need to use a VST synth or something, its right there where it needs to play and keeps up with the MPC the whole time. Best of both worlds without having to use the plugin version of the MPC.
By Certified Beatz Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:33 pm
Ahh ok that probably won't work then that way. With the plugin, its going to be dependent on the host for its tempo, so there isn't any way around that other than using Cubase's tap tempo feature. However, if you use the MPC in standalone, you can use the Network MIDI app and sync it over MIDI that way, so when you hit play in the host, it starts the slave too and follows along. Cubase is pretty awesome in that it lets you sync to an external source. Cant do that in Logic Pro anymore, Apple wants Logic to be the master no matter what.

Thats pretty much how I work until its done and I just record all my tracks into Cubase/Logic at the end. I just picked up Cubase Pro last month and have been relearning it (the last version I owned was VST32 back in 2000 or so). I used to do everything in the MPC, track into Logic when done, then mix and call it a day. But with Cubase letting you use external sync, now once my project in the MPC starts getting its layout together, I fire up Cubase, sync it to the MPC and start making markers in Cubase where my different sections go. Once Ive got most of it ready, I can work in the MPC and Cubase at the same time so if I need to use a VST synth or something, its right there where it needs to play and keeps up with the MPC the whole time. Best of both worlds without having to use the plugin version of the MPC.[/quote][/quote]

Yes agree with you that was my original setup for years.. just trying out the plugin again.. now I have 2 ways of creating beats now.. thanks..man.. hopefully Akai address there plugin in a DAW one day..
By Monotremata Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 am
Certified Beatz wrote:I know im late to this .. anyway to have mono outputs with the plugin in a daw.DAW.. I only see stereo outputs.. would to mix my drums in mono...

I tried it earlier and thought I had it all figured out but yeah you're stuck with stereo outputs and thats it. I enabled all 32 outs and set everything to mono outputs in the MPC but when you play it back Cubase's channels are stereo so you get a bunch of hard panned stuff. I couldn't figure out any way to split the channels to dual mono or anything.