MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By millzwave Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:06 am
I mistakingly plugged in my e-scooter power supply which says

INPUT:
100V-240V~50/60HZ,2.0A(Max.)

OUTPUT: DC42V - 2.0A

into my MPC X which reads on the back

19V - - - 3.42A

the power supply cables look very similar and I did this by error when I was moving a bunch of stuff and equipment today

I plugged the proper power supply cable into the MPC X now and it won't turn on, also I noticed when plugging it in there was a spark in the connection

what should I do ??? I am very concerned and at the moment out of a functional MPC X
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm
I did this by connecting an MPC Live PSU to with my MPC Touch, horrible 'pssst' sound and smoke. Still turned on but the screen no longer worked. I din't bother going any further with it, I assumed it was going to be uneconomical to repair. But with an MPC X I would definitely get someone to investigate it further.
By SuperKonquer Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 pm
Yikes. 42v is a lot of voltage to put through a 19 volt device. Your only option is to take it to a repair shop and see if it salvageable. You are looking at least a 500+ bill on the low side. Mpcstuff has a replacement board if you are feeling daring but they hardly are ever in stock. The fear of that happening is why I never remove my powered cable from the attached loop on the back of the X. https://www.mpcstuff.com/main-pcb-w-usb ... kai-mpc-x/
By EnochLight Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:54 pm
millzwave wrote:I mistakingly plugged in my e-scooter power supply which says

INPUT:

19V - - - 3.42A

the power supply cables look very similar and I did this by error when I was moving a bunch of stuff and equipment today

I plugged the proper power supply cable into the MPC X now and it won't turn on, also I noticed when plugging it in there was a spark in the connection

what should I do ??? I am very concerned and at the moment out of a functional MPC X

If it's still under warranty, I don't think even Akai would cover it since it was user error and a gross over-voltage that fried your MPC X, I'm afraid. So, knowing that your warranty is bunk, it won't hurt to try having the faulty part replaced. It's a $2300 USD machine, so certainly worth repairing. It's likely just a blown fuse, which in itself is an extremely cheap part. Worst case is it's a fried motherboard, which could be a few hundred to replace. If cracking open electronics isn't your wheelhouse, is there a local electronics repair shop you can bring it to?
By millzwave Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:55 pm
EnochLight wrote:
millzwave wrote:I mistakingly plugged in my e-scooter power supply which says

INPUT:

19V - - - 3.42A

If it's still under warranty, I don't think even Akai would cover it since it was user error and a gross over-voltage that fried your MPC X, I'm afraid. So, knowing that your warranty is bunk, it won't hurt to try having the faulty part replaced. It's a $2300 USD machine, so certainly worth repairing. It's likely just a blown fuse, which in itself is an extremely cheap part. Worst case is it's a fried motherboard, which could be a few hundred to replace. If cracking open electronics isn't your wheelhouse, is there a local electronics repair shop you can bring it to?

I brought it to my local repair shop and he has said it’s completely fried and impossible to repair , he showed me the multi-meter and it was going the needle all the way up on the mother board and another part with these black cyclical looking things not sure but he said he will give it back to me tomorrow there’s nothing he can do

I don’t think he ever seen a mpc before he’s probly used to fixing other things so

Now I’m wondering should I still try to fix it ? The local long and mcquade quoted me 150$ to ship it to Akai for diagnostics

The akai customer support also told me to contact mpcstuff.com and gave me a list of all their other authorized repair shops

I am quite devastated tbh
By BeatWilson Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:19 pm
Damn thats wild. Not sure if that repair guy knows what hes doing. Long and Mcquade should repair your Item since your bought it there but I guess in this case they would rather send it over to Akai. I have an X so I do fear its death at times even though it will happen one day.

I do know someone who used to repair MPC's out on the island(Nanaimo) since I know your in Canada. He mostly repairs old Gear/MPC's but has repaired a MPC Touch and possibly a Live.
Where abouts are you in Canada?
By millzwave Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:20 pm
BeatWilson wrote:Damn thats wild. Not sure if that repair guy knows what hes doing. Long and Mcquade should repair your Item since your bought it there but I guess in this case they would rather send it over to Akai. I have an X so I do fear its death at times even though it will happen one day.

I do know someone who used to repair MPC's out on the island(Nanaimo) since I know your in Canada. He mostly repairs old Gear/MPC's but has repaired a MPC Touch and possibly a Live.
Where abouts are you in Canada?

Toronto
By Ultros Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:11 am
you probably fried the fuse, and if the fuse held for any amount of time, you just burnt the fuses right off the mainboard. Do you smell melted shit? if so kiss that logic board buh bye. I'm only about an hour away from toronto but I have my doubts on repairing it.

Atm its broken, it doesnt work right? Bust out the screw driver and look at the power supply and see if it had a barrel fuse, if it does you may be in luck. they're about $1 at sayal! Just make sure to take the old one with you.

this is a barrel fuse, and with some luck only the filiment is burnt.
By Monotremata Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:40 am
BeatWilson wrote:Damn thats wild. Not sure if that repair guy knows what hes doing. Long and Mcquade should repair your Item since your bought it there but I guess in this case they would rather send it over to Akai. I have an X so I do fear its death at times even though it will happen one day.

If he plugged in the wrong power supply, the warranty is pretty much null and void. L&M may be offering to send it to Akai for you, but thats going to cost money, and trust me Akai will know what happened when they open it. L&M may turn around and charge you for shipping it as well since its an out of warranty repair.
By SuperKonquer Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:16 am
I'm pretty sure the board is fried because the spark when you plugged in the board indicates something is shorted rather than just a broken circuit such as a fuse. When you talk to a repair shop make it known that there are replacement boards for this unit so they are not thinking they have to replace sms components and rebuild traces. It is a absolutely repairable.

Any fried component can be replaced and any burned trace can be rerouted. Plus there are entire boards to replace all the components in X so its just about finding the parts and a willing and capable repair person.
By millzwave Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:24 pm
Yes L&M has told me over the phone it would be 150$ Cad to ship it to Akai and see if they can fix it

The local repair shop guy told me the mother board and power supply board I think is fried ? He also said he doesn’t know the full extent of damage possible

Not sure what I should do at this point it’s been like a bad nightmare

Mike at mpcstuff.com has been emailing me also told me that the pcb carrier and motherboards are out of stock until July apparently ? Due to supply shortages
By millzwave Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:I'm pretty sure the board is fried because the spark when you plugged in the board indicates something is shorted rather than just a broken circuit such as a fuse. When you talk to a repair shop make it known that there are replacement boards for this unit so they are not thinking they have to replace sms components and rebuild traces. It is a absolutely repairable.

Any fried component can be replaced and any burned trace can be rerouted. Plus there are entire boards to replace all the components in X so its just about finding the parts and a willing and capable repair person.

If the boards are fried would a last ditch repair be able to be done by gutting a mpc live mk1 and replacing the components into the now defunct mpc X? i fear sending to akai and getting a huge repair bill