MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By millzwave Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:43 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Do you have home insurance with accidental damage cover? This could be covered, worth looking into.

No sadly I do not own a home or have home insurance , I’m pretty much looking forward to footing this repair bill my self
By SuperKonquer Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:46 pm
It happened and you can't turn back time. Why fret over something you cant go back and change and have no control over. Sure it will cost you a bit of dough to get repaired but you'll have it soon enough. If it gets back to Akai it will get fixed. Another option is buy a used X sell your old one for parts. That is unless you'll still have some kind of warranty after it gets fixed by whoever.
By SuperKonquer Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:10 pm
millzwave wrote:
SuperKonquer wrote:I'm pretty sure the board is fried because the spark when you plugged in the board indicates something is shorted rather than just a broken circuit such as a fuse. When you talk to a repair shop make it known that there are replacement boards for this unit so they are not thinking they have to replace sms components and rebuild traces. It is a absolutely repairable.

Any fried component can be replaced and any burned trace can be rerouted. Plus there are entire boards to replace all the components in X so its just about finding the parts and a willing and capable repair person.

If the boards are fried would a last ditch repair be able to be done by gutting a mpc live mk1 and replacing the components into the now defunct MPC X? i fear sending to Akai and getting a huge repair bill

The problem with trying to Frankenstein with a mk1 is those still cost 600 to 700 dollars and the audio boards are different so I'm not sure that would be worth the money and effort. There's a possibility that it could just be some fried smaller components and no damage to the pcb traces itself but that can only really be confirmed by a skill repair person. Your best chance is to let your retailer send it to an Akai service center honestly.
By EnochLight Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 pm
millzwave wrote:I brought it to my local repair shop and he has said it’s completely fried and impossible to repair , he showed me the multi-meter and it was going the needle all the way up on the mother board and another part with these black cyclical looking things not sure but he said he will give it back to me tomorrow there’s nothing he can do

I don’t think he ever seen a mpc before he’s probly used to fixing other things so

Now I’m wondering should I still try to fix it ? The local long and mcquade quoted me 150$ to ship it to Akai for diagnostics

The akai customer support also told me to contact mpcstuff.com and gave me a list of all their other authorized repair shops

I am quite devastated tbh

Right so, first things first: EVERTHING IS REPAIRABLE - it just depends on the cost you want to invest. Don't let that repair shop tell you anything different - he's obviously out of his league and doesn't want to go through the effort to repair it. So, either buck up and send it to an authorized repair shop and pay to have to repaired, wait for the boards to become available at MPC Stuff and do it yourself/pay a repair shop that actually knows computers, or eat a $2300 loss. Those are your choices. Simples. Yeah, it sucks - but it is what it is. Alternatively, if your repair tab is starting to approach $700-$800 USD, maybe just buck up and chalk it as a loss and buy a brand new MPC One instead.
By millzwave Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:18 pm
EnochLight wrote:
millzwave wrote:I brought it to my local repair shop and he has said it’s completely fried and impossible to repair , he showed me the multi-meter and it was going the needle all the way up on the mother board and another part with these black cyclical looking things not sure but he said he will give it back to me tomorrow there’s nothing he can do

I don’t think he ever seen a mpc before he’s probly used to fixing other things so

Now I’m wondering should I still try to fix it ? The local long and mcquade quoted me 150$ to ship it to Akai for diagnostics

The akai customer support also told me to contact mpcstuff.com and gave me a list of all their other authorized repair shops

I am quite devastated tbh

Right so, first things first: EVERTHING IS REPAIRABLE - it just depends on the cost you want to invest. Don't let that repair shop tell you anything different - he's obviously out of his league and doesn't want to go through the effort to repair it. So, either buck up and send it to an authorized repair shop and pay to have to repaired, wait for the boards to become available at MPC Stuff and do it yourself/pay a repair shop that actually knows computers, or eat a $2300 loss. Those are your choices. Simples. Yeah, it sucks - but it is what it is. Alternatively, if your repair tab is starting to approach $700-$800 USD, maybe just buck up and chalk it as a loss and buy a brand new MPC One instead.

Thanks for the reply , I paid $3200 Canadian for my X brand new at long & mcquade in 2019 it was my first mpc I ever had so I want to fix it definetly yes I will have to find someone who can actually repair it that guy was no help :( .

Talked to L&M over the phone they said they would charge 150$ to ship to Akai starting to think that’s my only option now
By millzwave Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 pm
elstebbano wrote:Why dont you just get the pcb board from mpc stuff? They have it in stock and it is 360USD. Why slaughtering a mpc live or sending it to akai?

Because I’m not sure if that will fix it , I have no way of knowing with my limited technical/electrical know how

From what I’ve been told I might have fried the mother board and pcb board (and maybe more?) so I’m contemplating my fate now (and expenses)

Honestly it’s pretty shit situation for me right now I appreciate all the replies though

Danm never thought my X would die from such a simple mistake :Sigh:
By SuperKonquer Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:01 pm
Its easy to do. i did the same exact thing with a laptop power supply. I plugged in to the X but forgot to plug it into my power conditioner. Right before I plugged into my power conditioner i noticed the logo on the power supply was hp. I was seconds away from being in that same boat. Now I will never the disconnect power cable from the attached loop for all eternity. Its just way easy to have a very unfortunate mishap.
By EnochLight Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:11 pm
In the future, I strongly encourage you to purchase renters/home owners insurance policy that covers accidental damage on electronics (lightening strikes, etc). I've got a rider on my policy and it really isn't that much more expensive (I'm in the States, and Canadian policies aren't too different). You could have easily chalked this up to accidental "storm damage".