MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By BayesianAnalysis Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:27 am
Hi! In JJOS 2XL's "trim" mode, I can edit with the bit reducer, for example, and I can hit the pads to play the processed sample as a "preview" or audition, while dialing in the sound.

On the MPC Live 2, in sample edit, I don't see a way to hear the effect of the processing while altering the bit reduce parameter. I can hear it after setting a value and clicking "Do It", but that's way more awkward.

I looked in the manual and tried pressing the pads and even the "play" button, but I can't hear it before hitting "Do It". Anybody know how to audition while I'm still changing the bit-reduce knob around, trying to find the right amount?
By BayesianAnalysis Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Thanks, NearTao! I think that allows me to use the Q controls to affect parameters of a program's insert effects, e.g., bit crush, right?

Isn't that a different thing from the sample edit process function, "bit reduce", which isn't a dynamic insert effect but a permanent change to the sample itself? (E.g., I could do that if all the insert effects were already being used, or just to save processor power.)
By BayesianAnalysis Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:28 am
Yes, and in MPC 1000 running JJOS 2XL, you can audition the sample while adjusting the parameters and then hit "Do It" when you find the right settings. The destructive process occurs when you hit "Do It." I am thinking you just can't do that in MPC Live 2 for the sample edit bit reduce process: You cannot audition the effect of the parameter *before* hitting "Do It," as you can in JJOS 2XL. I think that's the answer to my question.
By BayesianAnalysis Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:33 pm
I'm almost there! My old MPC 1K is sitting idle while I convince myself I'm not going to get buyer's remorse with the MPC Live 2.

But I think it's pretty solid---As solid as JJOS 2XL on the MPC 1000, anyway. My favorite Live 2 things:

I can add and configure a new track without stopping the loop
    I can leave it in "record" and disarm the track, so that I can play a new part
    MotherDucker
    AIR Filter's bit-crush overdrive
    More persistent storage space
    Faster loads and saves
    Up-to-date samples come with it
    Support for my old samples and programs

:)
By SuperKonquer Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:57 pm
Each pad has a dedicate suite of fx that are very low on processing. Before I touch any inserts I would use those first and only add a plugin if I need something more or different. Its fast to turn on, faster to adjust and easy to automate. Easy to turn off if needed. The pad fx is just a way better solution imo opinion to sonically craft drum samples. They are excellent at getting punch and grit.