MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Patientrichard Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm
I'm not a bad sythesist usually, and am able to get where I want/need to be generally.

However I do struggle with the on board synths on the live. I don't know if it's a subconscious thing or if I'm just a bit pony but I can't get a decent enough sounding dub techno style stab on the mpc!

Anyone have any decent examples or advice on this?

More time?
Learning the synths a bit more?
Just use samples?!

I don't know, but hoping someone can chime in

Cheers
By Patientrichard Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm
Here's a two hour mix of Dub techno, with various stabs. Although similar, there's nunace within and so there's variation upon the theme,hence a two hour selection to give you an idea, instead of one particular track.

They're usually characterised by being played as a minor triad, with modulation on the filter envelope. The sound itself is a short plucky saw, with a lpf.

It's a simple enough patch to create, but I just don't get along with the on board synths for sound design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLRIBEpV3PI
By Monotremata Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:25 pm
There's a cool tutorial at Attack Magazines website on making dub techno chord stabs. They did it with Diva in their example, but I got pretty damn close using Repro 5 instead (they mentioned they used Diva because it was closest to a Prophet 5). Add a delay to it, and its instant Basic Channel style. Never tried it with the onboard synths but I dont ever use those. Id either use one of the 10000 samples of chords I already have, or use a software synth thats better prepared to do the job. Repro 5 knocks them out of the park, didnt get very close with Largo but it made its own kinda unique stabs just the same.
By Patientrichard Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:44 pm
Monotremata wrote:There's a cool tutorial at Attack Magazines website on making dub techno chord stabs. They did it with Diva in their example, but I got pretty damn close using Repro 5 instead (they mentioned they used Diva because it was closest to a Prophet 5). Add a delay to it, and its instant Basic Channel style. Never tried it with the onboard synths but I dont ever use those. Id either use one of the 10000 samples of chords I already have, or use a software synth thats better prepared to do the job. Repro 5 knocks them out of the park, didnt get very close with Largo but it made its own kinda unique stabs just the same.

Thanks mate. I tend to use operator, or my hydrasynth usually as just like you, I don't really use the synths on the mpc. I think I'll end up sticking with the usual method and sampling and then use the internal fx to give the 'organic' feel.
I need to check out Repro as well, so that's given me another excuse!
By NearTao Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:25 pm
The synths on the MPC are quite solid... may take some more work than other synths... but I feel like you guys are sleeping on them...

That said, do what works for you :D
By Monotremata Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:42 pm
NearTao wrote:The synths on the MPC are quite solid... may take some more work than other synths... but I feel like you guys are sleeping on them...

That said, do what works for you :D

Ive played with em, I actually like the Odyssey but for the most part they just don't do anything for me. Then again Ive got a Roland XV, two Waldorfs, a Bass Station, SH101, two EMU E6400 Ultras, etc, and about 300+GB of sampled chords/stabs/whatever so Ive usually got what I need ready to go way quicker than having to build it on a synth.
By NearTao Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:44 am
I hear you... but if I've just tossed the MPC in a backup (well probably not an X... but whatever)... and all I had was the synths on the MPC... I'd probably use them. Even with my sample library I still find it to be helpful to occasionally sprinkle a synth or two from the MPC into the track.

The synths and FX aren't necessarily my go to if I've got other options, but they are frequently reasonable options... that's all. But yeah, it's not blowing the doors off of any of my gear here either :D
By Patientrichard Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 am
I think they're definitely usable, and it's a massive plus that we get them all for free, in one box, but I don't know what it is about them that programing patches on them just doesn't fill me with joy!
By Scott Righteous Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:13 am
There are really good tutorials on the basic channel style dub stab all over youtube. There is the one note, three oscillator style, where you detune each of those to get a chord per note. For that you need a synth with three oscillators, of course you don't have to use that style, but I find it easier to manage having it all going through the same filter, LFO etc, than if you hold an actual chord.

This guy has it down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc4SRlZz4XU

I've watched a few tutorials where they use a soft-synth, but none that sound quite right.

The virus synths can do this very well too.

I would love to hear people doing it right on the MPC, I haven't needed to. But I think snappy envelopes are crucial, and the core saw sound needs to work right when you only hear a very short burst of it. Some synths just don't have that quality.
By Patientrichard Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:42 am
Yeah agreed. I've given it some more time and my conclusion is the saw isn't quite right and the envelopes aren't that startling.
I won't stop trying however, so if there's any success I'll post!
By Patientrichard Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:39 pm
Well, I've had some success with TubeSynth this afternoon and have a ballpark.

I've uploaded a video in case anyone has any interest (excuse the poor quality and dodgy video..)

I'll continue and post results. I wonder if Hype is the best way forward.

https://imgur.com/a/O8wqpZI

Edited to play a video with actual sound.....
By ace_of_dub Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:50 pm
I think MPC plugins don't have the right filter for these "dub techno stabs", maybe using keygroups will give better results.