MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By groovepuhl Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 pm
hi tutor, hi everyone,
i´d still like to use my mpc60 as master sequencer due to its magical roger-linn-swing. here´s my question: can i use, let´s say, a mpc one strictly as a multitimbral sound module, or must i expect midi latency problems? is the mpc one good as slave? i´m not talking about midi clock jitter of the sequencer. just as sound module. many thanks and keep up the good work!
kind regards
By EnochLight Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:50 pm
groovepuhl wrote:hi tutor, hi everyone,
i´d still like to use my mpc60 as master sequencer due to its magical roger-linn-swing. here´s my question: can i use, let´s say, a mpc one strictly as a multitimbral sound module, or must i expect midi latency problems? is the mpc one good as slave? i´m not talking about midi clock jitter of the sequencer. just as sound module. many thanks and keep up the good work!
kind regards

I mean, you may get biased opinions here since most of are fully invested in a current gen-MPC (One, Live, Live II, or X) but the short answer is: absolutely you can use it as a sound module! You get up to 8 instances of its built-in standalone plugins, a metric s%@t ton of effects, and dozens upon dozens of Drum Programs and Keygroups, which each serve as their own instrument as well (as you probably already know). That said, all one has to do is peruse the multitude of YouTube videos out there to hear the content that comes stock, so perhaps you can judge for yourself whether you feel the sound content would be useful to you or not.
By Monotremata Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:28 am
The same "magical" swing formula is in the current MPCs as well. There's no magic to it, its simple math. All Roger's 'design' does is shift the last sixteenth note in the 2nd and 4th beats to a percentage of the distance from the one before it.