MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kn00b Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:32 am
First of all - I'm new, please forgive me if this topic was already discussed, I couldn't find it. Onto the problem:

I have some expansions that came with the MPC Live 2 on it's internal drive (the inaccessible one) like The Valult 2.0. I also downloaded additional ones (like F9, Sonic Boom...) and put them on an external SD card. Now, I have this weird problem:

If I use my MPC with the SD card in, everything works fine at first and all expansions from both internal drive and SD card show up in the "expansions" section in the file browser. Then, when I want to start a new project (go into the project menu in the upper-left corner and click "New") and everything loads up - I can only see expansions from my SD card. The ones from the internal drive are still there, I can access them but in order to do that I have to manually browse internal files of the MPC, they just don't show up in the "expansions" section.

Reboot fixes everything, but as soon as I try to create a new project the same thing happens again. I tried reinstalling the expansions on the external SD card but nothing helped. Generally if there are ANY expansions on it this problem happens, if the SD has no expansions and I'm left with only the "internal" ones even if I start a new project everything works. This is extremely frustrating for me as I cannot fix it, I tried a lot of things.

Does anyone know whether I should be worried, or maybe this is just a software bug and I have to wait for an update? Or maybe someone fixed something like this? Also - I am running the latest software 2.10.1 (I think that's how it's called - anyways for sure it's the newest one).
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:59 am
I believe this is a known bug, I've seen this reported before. There are a few issues regarding expansions temporarily disappearing. I spotted one yesterday; if I have multiple drives connected to my MPC One (SD and USB), each with it's own 'expansions' folder, the MPC ignores all expansions (including internals) apart from the ones on the USB drive. Haven't tested this to any depth yet, but there's definitely something not quite right ATM.
By enzyme Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:28 pm
Definitely a bug, this exact thing happens on my One.

Simple solution: Make a template and when you want to start a new project, load the template from the browser instead of clicking 'new project'. Its actually much faster to do this, because when you use 'New Project', the MPC kind of resets, then has to load something, but the template just loads in seconds. Once you have done this, don't forget to use 'Save as' the first time you save your new project.

I put my template in my projects folder, then assign a shortcut to the folder to make it even faster 8)
By kn00b Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:51 pm
Thank you all for your responses! I was scared at first, hopefully the next update solves some of this stuff. BTW did anyone with a live 2 experience a pretty big imbalance between the built-in speakers? I contacted Akai like a month ago about this, long discussions but they didn't really want to take care of it though they acknowledged it didn't sound right. Kinda bugs me ever since. Because of all those small issues I keep stressing I'll only run into more :/ I swear I'm unlucky with Akai's gear, each time there's something wrong. I still love the machines, literally my dream to own it, I just wish it wouldn't break once a day :roll:
By EnochLight Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:30 am
Yikes! Not seeing this at all on my Live II, but I have all Expansions installed in the same folder on my 1 TB SSD that I installed. No issues here as far as Expansions are concerned.