MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jabberwalky Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:41 pm
I've recently been seeking ways to interconnect the MPC Live even further. I've tried to connect my old Ipad mini via bluetooth, but it pops up a message saying the MPC live is not supported. Standalone mode.

I then tried my more modern Surface Pro 7, and that will pair, but will only connect for a few seconds before disconnecting. I want to use the surface as a midi controller via TouchOSC or the like. Is there a way to do this, or is the Live Mk1 bluetooth not up to snuff?

Also tried connecting the surface via USB-C, not detected.

Old school MIDI Din works. TouchOSC will properly send midi to the MPC, but I can't seem to get the MPC to send the data back to it, to update the knobs in the correct positions per project. Is this something the MPC can't do?

I did a search, and seems not many people are using bluetooth, or don't talk about it much.
By NearTao Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:11 pm
I have found on the Live mk2 it works fine over bluetooth for midi, if maybe a bit slow to respond... it's not terribly and works fine for auto sampling, but I probably wouldn't try and use it for direct performance. Sound like the antenna might not be hooked up properly or should be reseated... as I'd imagine this should work the same as the Live mk2.
By EnochLight Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 am
jabberwalky wrote:I've recently been seeking ways to interconnect the MPC Live even further. I've tried to connect my old Ipad mini via bluetooth, but it pops up a message saying the MPC live is not supported. Standalone mode.

I then tried my more modern Surface Pro 7, and that will pair, but will only connect for a few seconds before disconnecting. I want to use the surface as a midi controller via TouchOSC or the like. Is there a way to do this, or is the Live Mk1 bluetooth not up to snuff?

Also tried connecting the surface via USB-C, not detected.

Old school MIDI Din works. TouchOSC will properly send midi to the MPC, but I can't seem to get the MPC to send the data back to it, to update the knobs in the correct positions per project. Is this something the MPC can't do?

I did a search, and seems not many people are using bluetooth, or don't talk about it much.

I had the OG first-gen Live, and now I have the Live II. Pretty much the only thing that works with Bluetooth is Bluetooth MIDI (such as keyboard controllers like the Korg Nanokey Studio, etc) and Bluetooth qwerty keyboards - that's it. As for iOS (iPads and iPhones), I've been able to connect my 6th gen iPad as well as my iPhone 12 Pro Max, but I'll usually run a Bluetooth MIDI companion/utility app (like Korg's "BLE-MIDI"). After doing that, I can play synth apps running on my iPhone/iPad with my MPC's pads and sequence, just like you would via wired 5-pin DIN MIDI - albeit with a bit of latency. Synthmaster runs fine, as well as a variety of others.

Honestly, I prefer Ableton Link these days.
By jabberwalky Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 pm
Cool thanks for the incites, I will try BLE. Was just trying to reduce the cable mess!

Regarding TouchOSC...After much trial and error, I found no way to have TouchOSC receive information from MPC Live, regarding knob values and things. It only works one way, when midi mapped. Sadly, I don't think the Live has capabilities for communicating back to a controller. I know Ultros did it with his Force mod and the matrix pads, so it's possible ha! I created a whole bank of knobs, 8 submix channels, with the 4 sends each. I thought it would be so cool to have instant access to such things, but without them syncing to each project, the values jump around and its not ideal.