MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Bigheaded Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 pm
My 2nd day with my MPC One, so far I'm sorta figuring out some stuff here and there. Been watching YT videos and was thumbing thru the manual. After about 5 hours of playing around on it I'm stuck trying to do something. I know I should be able to find the answer on Google, but I'm obviously not searching the right thing because I'm not finding crap. And I'm sure this probably has been asked here before by others, but the wording in my brain when I search isn't turning up any results. Since my brain works the way it works, I'll try to explain it so someone here who knows how to do this can understand my question enough to answer it. PLEASE take it easy as I'm new to the MPC world. I've used Reason off and on since version 7, so some of the basics on the MPC make sense to me. But I got a lot of lot of learning to do. And, I've spent about 5 hours since this morning searching Googles and just trying !@#$ I always like to TRY and figure out stuff without asking. But alas, here I am stuck. Sorry I'm rambling on, here's my situation explained as easy as I can.

I have a drum kit loaded, there's a single pad where I want to copy and modify the note, so I copied it to another pad and am trying to change just that pad. I originally thought an easy way would be to go into the 16 level button and copy the note I wanted from there and switch back to normal pad mode and paste it. I Googled octive, note, tone. I'm not wording it right because this has been asked. I'm sorta finding stuff on Google but the only link that explained what I want to do doesn't work for me. Here's what the response I found said to do

If you press & hold the Q-link button, press pad scene(third tab, bottom of screen) , it gives you the options for the pads. if you turn Q4, it pitches the chosen pad sample up/down.
Hope that helps ya!!

I tried this and Q4 isn't controlling pitch for me, since I'm a n00b I wasn't sure if by Q4 they meant pressing Q-Link 3 times to get to the 4th group, or using the 4th Q-Link knob. I tried both and neither brought up anything to do with pitch. What I quoted was asked about the Live, which I'm assuming should be the same, or very similar on the One. I did some more Googling after finding this but am coming up blank.

I know this is basic, but whatever I'm trying to do I'm not calling it what I should so that's why I'm not finding an answer. I'm 24 hours into this so it's even tough for me to Google my questions because what I'm use to in Reason isn't always referred to the same in MPC. Like quantize = TC. So I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the terminology. And to be honest I'm not even that great on what to call things in Reason, I just know how to do what I know how to do from years of tinkering. And I'm sure a lot of the little I know how do, I'm not doing it the right or best way.

My thinking here is there's gotta be a menu I can go into and press the pad and turn the data knob or one of the 4 Qlink knobs and BOOM change the octive, or note or whatever the proper term is in the MPC world. This is probably something that can be done in a few seconds, but after 4 hours of pressing buttons and seeing what happens it's clearly beyond my scope at this point.

Anyone who understands me here and can take pity on me, THANK YOU in advance. I'm going to go keep messing around with it. And yes I plan to buy the MPC Bible off here, and read it all. But since I dropped $1k on this when my lady only approved me to spend $750 she's just slightly perturbed, and so I'm on a 30 day "don't buy ANY !@#$" punishment lol.
By SuperKonquer Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:17 pm
press menu button go into sample edit adjust the tuning setting
press main screen >press edit sample adjust the tuning setting

press menu go to program edit press the "samples tab at the button of the screen press again to go to page 2
adjust the semi and fine of each layer of your selected pad

go to main press edit samples, press process at bottom of screen, scroll to pitch shift function adjust setting press do it.

add pitch shift plugin to pad insert. You can stop there or use flatten pad to bake in the fx output.

These are all different ways you can change the pitch of a sample.

Take a breath. You've only had the MPC for 24 hours. Don't expect to be Godlike with it. It can seem daunting but it is fairly simple once you know where everything is. Unless you had lots of experience with older MPCs, you will not only have to adjust to the MPC way of doing things but also learn all the new MPC ways of doing things. It's going to take some time and patience and most importantly trial and error.

Don't power the MPC on for the first time ever and try to make the worlds greatest album. Just focus on exploring the arsenal of tools you have at your fingertips. Touch turn press tweak add insert delete twiddle shift press swipe every setting every knob every button on every page and you will quickly understand the at least what is available to you and where.
By Bigheaded Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:39 pm
THANK YOU! Yes I know this is going to be a massive undertaking if I hope to ever get good at using it. I think my lack of sleep + new toy had my brain a little frazzled here. I went into the sample menu I had been in 50 times but you saying go to page 2. Sure enough that set off something in my brain and I now saw a > on the screen which wasn't there until you said page 2. Little sleep had my brain not thinking logically like "oh, there has to be more sample options than I'm seeing" yeap, multiple pages.

And like I said, I didn't want to ask because I try to figure stuff on my own, but if I can't figure it out after 5-10 hours I'll ask. I definitely needed a push here so THANK YOU again sir. And it's nice to know there are a bunch of ways to do it, but I couldn't manage to figure out one on my own lol. I need the Bible and about 250 hours and I should be semi-proficient. I did make a beat and it sounds uh not terrible considering I know next to nothing. Perhaps the 2.5% of Reason I actually understand helped lol.

Now I need to go take a nap then spend another 5 hours tinkering before I'm stuck to the point I come ask another question.
By SuperKonquer Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:18 am
Oh, I forgot the easiest way. Go to 16 levels Set the type to tune. Then play your pad and record into sequence. This method is generally for recording because once you exit 16 levels mode, the selected pad will play at its original tuning. Each method has its pros and cons.