MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By cchimi Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:08 pm
The subject header says it all. Can I take an existing single track MIDI file and import it to a single track and play it back on the LIVE II? I'm thinking about a piano or drum track, not multiple tracks with multiple instruments.

Thanks for any advice.

Carl
By EnochLight Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:35 am
cchimi wrote:The subject header says it all. Can I take an existing single track MIDI file and import it to a single track and play it back on the LIVE II? I'm thinking about a piano or drum track

Yes.
By cchimi Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:12 pm
Thanks for the reply. I do go to the Browser, see the MIDI file, tell it to load, it says it will load it into the next sequence (which I OK), then go back to the main screen (to what I think is called grid view) and see nothing. There are no MIDI events there. This is for a piano track.

I tried it with a drum track and that actually loaded, but I can't get any sound out of it, except from Tubesynth which is not what I want, obviously. If I load in a drumkit, I get no sound.

I'm a noobie to the MPC, but not to MIDI or to other sorts of electronic musical devices. I feel as though I'm doing things correctly, but I must be missing something fairly simple in this process. I don't know why one MIDI file loaded but won't sound and the other won't even seem to load.

By the way, both files play fine on my Windows machine using Windows Media Play, Reaper, and the Studio One DAW.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carl
By MPC-Tutor Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:15 pm
Grid view shows one track only, it's possible that you have a multi track midi sequence and the selected track is blank. Better to first go to main or track view. Make sure you have selected the newly imported midi sequence and then make sure you've selected an active track. Then of course assign a suitable program to the track. It's also likely you will need to edit drum midi (likely track 10 btw), either the track itself or the kit to ensure the correct midi notes are triggering the correct pads
By SuperKonquer Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 pm
What I gather from what you ve posted is that you are not going to the next sequence which is where that midi data was loaded. If you load one midi file into a empty project it will load into the first sequence whis is why when you go to main and then grid edit you can see it. But if you do it a second time the new midi data will go to sequence 2. In which you first have to navigate o sequence 2 to view that midi data.
By BostonGreen Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:16 pm
cchimi wrote:Thanks for your replies, MPC-Tutor and SuperKonquer. Unfortunately, I had already tried both suggestions without success.

This makes no sense to me.

Upload a video to YouTube and post the link here .....