MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By epps Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:53 pm
I’m looking at getting the focusrite 2i2 and connecting my mpc live 2, studio monitors, and MacBook so that they all work simultaneously together and just wondering if this will be possible with the 2i2. For example, if I want to work in standalone mode and have my audio go to my monitors through the interface, or just in my daw doing the same thing, is it possible with the 2i2? I’m trying to avoid having to constantly switch cables around or having to have the mpc run through the computer or vice versa. Thanks! :smoker:
By Lampdog Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:08 pm
I don’t see you having any problems doing this.
It’s exactly what audio interfaces are basically made for.

2i2 audio out -> Active monitors.
2i2 usb -> computer (2chnl audio breaks out into daw tracks).
2i2 is made to be the audio device in Mac settings.
Are there 2i2 drivers for you Mac OS version?

Here is the 2i2 3rd gen manual. Idk what gen you’ll end up with.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/516658.pdf

By epps Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:45 pm
I’m not 100% sure yet, I’m running bigsur so I’ll have to check. So far it works with the mpc and my daw, but I think I need a usb hub so I don’t have to keep switching the usb out from the mpc to the computer. Unless there’s a better workaround?
By Lampdog Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:05 pm
I use 2 of these and have ZERO issues. A powered usb 3.0 hub is a must! Red port is charging (power only). The lil side buttons are on/off for each individual port, very important as I like to turn on only what I need.

By epps Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:08 pm
Lampdog wrote:I use 2 of these and have ZERO issues. A powered usb 3.0 hub is a must! Red port is charging (power only). The lil side buttons are on/off for each individual port, very important as I like to turn on only what I need.

Beauty thanks man, gonna go pick one of these up. :smoker:
By tequilatram Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:48 pm
Hi Epps, I think you are still going to have DAC issues with the MPC (stand-alone) and the MacBook. The 2i2 can only either communicate with the MPC or the MacBook via USB. If you add a hub, one of those two will still need to be the USB host and the 2i2 becomes the USB guest.

I ran into a similar issue, so ended up connecting the 2i2 to the MacBook via USB and running the 2i2 output to a mixer. Then connected the MPC directly to the Mixer via USB. Two different channels.
By tequilatram Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:53 pm
You can, however, connect the MPC master analog output to the 2i2 analog inputs and control the sound routing/pan from your MacBook DAW. The downside to this is you will only get two channels out of the MPC.
By epps Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:51 pm
tequilatram wrote:You can, however, connect the MPC master analog output to the 2i2 analog inputs and control the sound routing/pan from your MacBook DAW. The downside to this is you will only get two channels out of the MPC.

Yeah this is basically how I have it set up right now. Mpc main outs to the 2i2 and the MacBook connected to the 2i2 via usb. I turned on direct monitoring on the 2i2 so can still control sound from the mpc insofar as I can tell. But overall seems to be doing what I need for the time being. I appreciate the reply!
By Bradley Smith Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:52 pm
epps wrote:
Lampdog wrote:I use 2 of these and have ZERO issues. A powered usb 3.0 hub is a must! Red port is charging (power only). The lil side buttons are on/off for each individual port, very important as I like to turn on only what I need.

Beauty thanks man, gonna go pick one of these up. :smoker:

Just a heads up. Get that exact one Lampdog mentions (as he says he has no issues). My powered 4 port USB hub did NOT play nice with my MPC. Basically it looks like it was sending power into the USB port of the MPC and that meant that in the morning when I turned the MPC on it would crash, requiring the power cable be unplugged. Also flickering screen etc. So, be careful which model you get. Good luck!
By Lampdog Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 am
The exact same one?! I’ve had it connected to MPC for months now and not 1 problem. All my usb midi gear go to the hub and the hub goes directly to mpc x.
By Bradley Smith Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:28 pm
I advised the guy to GET the exact one you have. I did not say I HAD that exact one. I had some unbranded thing from Amazon. I'm going to get the one you have.
EDIT: Amazon UK don't have that model :-(
By Lampdog Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:43 pm
Ahhh ok.

Tutor a while back had mentioned a powered usb hub, the manual mentioned it, I went looking for the one Tutor talked about, couldn't find it so ended up with this one. So now, a few friends have the exact same one and it's doing good for them also.

Below, I believe is the one Tutor mentioned he has Akai themselves use. I could be remembering it wrong, maybe Tutor can answer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSHTECH-Aluminum-Portable-Splitter-Individual/dp/B07KFGY2CR/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1YZM0NE45PKMO&keywords=ikuai+powere4d+hub&qid=1649457639&sprefix=ikuai+powere4d+hub%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-9

By Mr E Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:06 pm
Hi everyone. Hope I can get some help. I couldn't find anyone with my question but this is almost the same as mine and saw how helpful everyone was.

I have an MPC live 2 and Scarlett 2i2. I connect my MPK MINI plus via usb to the MPC and the audio interface to the MPC . This is great for stand alone .

But when I want to use the DAW I need to unplug the cable and plug it into my pc ... I read about the USB hub you all mentioned and I don't understand it too well. Has anyone found a way to make this work without having to switch?

Thank you .