MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TheGarnet Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:43 pm
I have a Roland PMA-5 music PDA. I have a version of the Blue Danube that exists in it on a single track. At different points in the piece, I switch the instrument being used. The PMA-5 is a General Midi compliant device, so the program changes have a well known meaning for the kind of instrument that is supposed to play for various program change values.

I connected the PMA midi out to the in of the Akai MPC Live II, and recorded the playing of the piece. When I watch the midi note monitor, I can briefly see the program change messages go by at the right point. They scroll too quickly to catch all the details. The Akai of course does not change the instrument assigned to the track when those messages scroll by.

But after I have the recording, and play the midi stream back, all the program change messages are gone from the recording. It keeps some MSB settings in the “Program Automation” events list view, but the LSB and PROGRAM CHANGE are gone.

I have several other very long pieces in the PMA that I finally sent over midi to the Akai, and they are missing all their program changes too.

What can be done to capture these instrument changes in these midi streams?

I have explored manually editing these messages into a midi stream I am sending to a Roland SH-32, and it is very laborious to do so, it requires three messages in a certain order. Programming the midi program change info of the Akai track configuration seems like it only confuses the SH-32, it displays “——“ instead of switching instrument.