MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By HanHuman Sun May 01, 2022 11:47 am
Hi,

is there any way to "pack" programs similarly to JJOS's PAC file system in MPC One/Live/X?
Avoiding having a 10 miles long sample list when working with drum programs with many 1 shots for instance.
And if not, how do you deal with long sample lists?

Thanks
By NearTao Sun May 01, 2022 12:42 pm
You can tell the MPC One/Live/X to only list programs, wav files, etc... or display everything...

The expansion pack structure on the new MPCs isn't terribly complicated, as it is pretty flat, though you can organize content into sub folders, programs can still only see samples that are in the same location as the program.

Akai also ships an expansion pack builder, but it mostly just groups files together into a single directory.

Hope that helps...
By Christov Sun May 01, 2022 5:53 pm
NearTao wrote:You can tell the MPC One/Live/X to only list programs, wav files, etc... or display everything...

Forreal? I need to find the setting so that its shows everything, good to know it exists.
By HanHuman Sun May 01, 2022 8:49 pm
NearTao wrote:You can tell the MPC One/Live/X to only list programs, wav files, etc... or display everything...

Thanks Tao
I realize my question wasn't specific enough, I was thinking about loaded samples in RAM where you quickly get endless lists to scroll through. Yes the file browser is pretty decent to filter and access files, infinitely better than JJOS at least. Recently decided to move on to the Live 2 as the main machine, many more pros vs cons compared to the JJOS 2500/1000 even though not having locating event/bar/etc buttons is really painful for my workflow habits. But the X is just too massive for my desk.
By wavejockey Mon May 02, 2022 7:47 am
i have a (starting) template with +3000 samples which is difficult to manage, since AKAI removed to option to (only) delete flagged samples (it was there in the MPC4k)

what helps to browse is to input the number of the sample directly (MPC x)
By HanHuman Mon May 02, 2022 8:40 am
wavejockey wrote:what helps to browse is to input the number of the sample directly (MPC x)

I see. Something that would help a lot is at least some kind of sorting by date feature in some future update maybe. 3000+ samples… ouch :o
By HanHuman Tue May 03, 2022 2:30 am
Straker wrote:Jai Hanuman ji.

By Jawbrizza Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 am
wavejockey wrote:i have a (starting) template with +3000 samples which is difficult to manage, since AKAI removed to option to (only) delete flagged samples (it was there in the MPC4k)

what helps to browse is to input the number of the sample directly (MPC x)

what? Why? Doesn’t this just make turning your mpc on a chore? Why do you need 3000 samples loaded on your start template?
By Yerbalist Tue May 03, 2022 3:00 pm
Normally you would have folders assigned like drums, pads, intruments (1..5) plus sorted by subfolders if there are different styles of drum sounds in your library. Dont try to go against the grain with MPC workflow, the browser provides pretty straightforward interface where you can audition samples even in TC sync with sequence playback. Alternatively, you can always make few ready to go drum programs holding up to 128 samples each and start from there.
Or, even load folder to your template each time you start fresh new project with all favourite programs and samples. This is enough if you get used to it - template is the key imo so you have free mind to focus on your usual way of work and ideas, instead setting up random tracks in order, fx and stuff from scratch.
By HanHuman Tue May 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Talking about this list (not the browser as said earlier)
For those who don't know, in JJOS there is a feature to pack programs and samples attached in one .PAC file. Making the list of loaded samples into the RAM much easier to scroll through as you don't get those gazillion single drum hit or notes in the way while looking for something you've just sampled or loaded.
That's all I'm talking about, not loading files to RAM from the browser.
By 40Beatz Tue May 03, 2022 7:55 pm
Well That List right there....Is In the RAM
By MPC-Tutor Tue May 03, 2022 8:14 pm
One way is to join all your kit's samples in a single WAV file. Then in the MPC slice it non destructively and you can then access the slices on each pad layer using the 'Slice' parameter. So for example, a kit that uses 64 samples would now only need a single WAV sample, hence only one sample would show in the loaded file list. You could make your 'stacked' samples either in a computer audio editor or in an MPC sequence with all your individual samples triggered from successive events (use 'bounce to sample' to create the stacked WAV). After creating your stacks purge all the unneeded samples and just keep the stacks. Chop them using 'region chopping' (if your events were equally spaced) or threshold chopping.
By HanHuman Wed May 04, 2022 12:47 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:One way is to join all your kit's samples in a single WAV file. Then in the MPC slice it non destructively and you can then access the slices on each pad layer using the 'Slice' parameter. So for example, a kit that uses 64 samples would now only need a single WAV sample, hence only one sample would show in the loaded file list. You could make your 'stacked' samples either in a computer audio editor or in an MPC sequence with all your individual samples triggered from successive events (use 'bounce to sample' to create the stacked WAV). After creating your stacks purge all the unneeded samples and just keep the stacks. Chop them using 'region chopping' (if your events were equally spaced) or threshold chopping.

Hey Tutor
Single WAV files and non destructive chops seem like the way to go yea. With the bounce to sample feature and region chopping it shouldn't take so long indeed.
Thanks for the tip!