MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Harry-P Tue May 10, 2022 12:50 pm
Error: Specified configuration may not be supported by the device. Code: -71 Audio device error 71 and then freezes. Anyone had this before?

Upgraded and downgraded to see if it made a difference. It didn't! Any ideas. Now out of warranty.

First time I have ever had an MPC issue and i've had a few MPC's. My MPC Renaissance still working fine.
By Fat-Vibes-Music Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:33 pm
Hallo, I've been using my Mpc X now since the 28.3.2021 and never had any issues. Now in the last couple of days I've been experiencing the same error messages that has been you are experiencing
Error: Specified configuration may not be supported by the device. Code: -71 Audio device error 71 and then freezes.
I do recall for some reason when i wanted to play a track on my PC windows media player i was having audio drop outs because it was for some funny reason playing back the audio via the Mpc X in controller mode, so i rerouted the signal to my UAD Apollo interface and disconnected the Mpc X from controller mode to standalone mode.
Anyway after this incident that's when the problem started with the Mpc X, giving me crazy error messages
Error: Specified configuration may not be supported by the device. Code: -71 Audio device error 71 and then freezes.
I also recall pressing the OK on the Touchscreen several times the it changed the error code number and crashed .
I've called Akai Hotline support and they where very helpful and told me it could be a hardware problem and i would have to send it in for repairs, but before i do that i should try to reset the hardware and also reinstall the firmware and software,and see if it helps. I haven't done that yet, i intend to do that as soon as I'm at my studio (on the road at the moment)
I google my error message and came across this thread, which also explains very much the same error message I'm experiencing. I just wanted to know if you have already received any useful help in resolving this issue.
Would be very grateful for any information and assistance concerning this topic.
Best Regards
Steve Erinle
Fat Vibes Music
Frankfurt / Germany
By Maoxiung Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:39 pm
Hello there, last night on my belove Live II I also have experienced some furtive freezes on play followed by some message to ask me not to eject my internal SSD (?) then also same message for my SD, then finally a code -71 error but not same sentence:

error: specified configuration may not be supported by the device
code -71

I've tryed to open projects from both locations, SSD and SD, with same result.

I was using the internal batterie discharged to 50% and no possibility to plug the MPC, nonetheless I plug an external batterie that I have ever succesfully used on my previous MPC (One) and it seemed to work better for a while, then freezes occured again.

This morning I've unplugged the SSD and it works well, no freeze at all. Not saying that I think there's no more problems but...

Then I've mounted the SSD in a standalone conector to connect it directly to a computer, Windows have found some errors but it could mean nothing at all since this OS habitually fix some virtual "errors" onto any working well devices that have visited another OS...

Then I've put the SSD back into the MPC and found no problem.

I'm pretty disapointed because this is the first time I see a error message on an MPC...frightening...

I let you know if the problem occurs again.
The MPC is under waranty untill last month, I'm tempted by sending it to AKAY...Before doing that I will phone them....let see what they will tell me....
By Maoxiung Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:08 pm
Back here to say a ticket is opened to Akay but no answer at this time.
Meanwhile the problem didn't occurs in 10 days...Hem... until last night, when it asked me to not eject SD card then same error code - 71.
So I removed SD and go on, and it seems to be ok.
Internal battery was pretty low and I was using audio input 1 on master 1/2 for few guitar recordings.

Makes me think first time it occurs, I was also using audio inputs....Is there a relation?

I'll let you know if I obtain answers...
By Michal Kamenický Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:33 pm
Hi guys, a few weeks ago I started to experience occasional short freezing (for a second) while playing sequences. This happens even with simple drum loops without using any effects, with very low CPU an RAM usage. After trying everything Akai recommends (reset to defaults, format SD, update to the latest version of firmware) the problem still occurs and now I even get the same errors you talk about

https://ibb.co/x77q31c
https://ibb.co/LSC8wBT

Any advice please? I am out of warranty, so I am curious how I will be able to solve this with akai support, when submit a ticket...
By 40Beatz Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:02 pm
I would check to see how full your Internal Drive is? The MPCs do weird things when the Internal Drive is near its Fullest Capacity....Or If you've Deleted content from the Internal Drive. That may cause the problem
By Michal Kamenický Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:53 am
40Beatz wrote:I would check to see how full your Internal Drive is? The MPCs do weird things when the Internal Drive is near its Fullest Capacity....Or If you've Deleted content from the Internal Drive. That may cause the problem

It was like 80% full by default. I didn't add to it, as I use exclusively ehe SD card. I deleted the "instruments" folder today, because I didn't use it at all. Now I have 7.7 GB free of 14.4 GB available... Will see, if I get the errors again.
Last edited by Michal Kamenický on Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Michal Kamenický Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:05 am
83dude wrote:Does the problem occur if you use a new SD card instead of the old one?

This is what I'm going to try next week. Now I use the Kingston Canvas React Plus 64 GB which I consider a fast card (300/260MB/s (read/write).
But want to try it with SanDisk SDXC Extreme PRO 64GB Class 10, UHS-II U3, R: 300MB/s, W: 260MB/s.
Will let you know if it helps, but I want to go step by step and I started with removing content from internal drive - to see, if it helps.
If not, I'll continue with the card.
TBH I don't thing this is caused by card, because I use it also with my Live II and it never froze and never returned any error message.
By 40Beatz Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:20 pm
Michal Kamenický wrote:
40Beatz wrote:I would check to see how full your Internal Drive is? The MPCs do weird things when the Internal Drive is near its Fullest Capacity....Or If you've Deleted content from the Internal Drive. That may cause the problem

It was like 80% full by default. I didn't add to it, as I use exclusively ehe SD card. I deleted the "instruments" folder today, because I didn't use it at all. Now I have 7.7 GB free of 14.4 GB available... Will see, if I get the errors again.

80% seems kinda high. I always "Unhide" the Folders so I can see whats really in there. I had One Project I saved. And that Project was Bloated with Keygroups out the A$$ :lol:

If you don't unhide the Folders, when you delete a XPJ (Project) The [Project Data] will still be lurking in there. Thats where the Bloat is.
By OrionG Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:00 am
I too have had the error code:-71, and again today. Had it in the past with 2.8. Stopped doing it for a while then reappeared on 2.11.8 and still persists in 2.11.10 but i dont think its an os issue. It more likely an issue with how the linux systems on the mpc handles the alsa drivers. If you have an external sound card plugged in usb and selected it wont happen i don’t think, from what i remember. I think if the internal soundcard fails and you have it selected but you also have an external card plugged in i think it will default to the external. The issue seems to be when the internal alsa drive fails and there’s nothing for it to default to.

Im gonna run some tests when it happens and but i wanted to post here for future reference.
Maybe its heat or battery life or peripherals like the ssd or a corrupt preference file, either way the bugs are not cool. This crap happened to me in the middle of a rehearsal today. Gonna have to record a set for back up now.
By Maoxiung Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:13 pm
Hello there, My MPC live II came back from waranty repair, I don't have a clear diagnose of what was the problem but it's working now, here's the answer of the music store :

"The MPC has been returned to our supplier, official AKAI after-sales service for France
The interventions of the SAV are carried out with tests, they confirmed that system files were missing, and that only in workshop these can be restored."

I have no idea of what could be the reason of this file corruption...

I doubt that this file restore could be done only in workshop, once the waranty is over, nothing critical to open the device and flash the internal SD card by yourself with a proper install...
E.G. Look here, it's talking about refilling the SD with the demo folder (in french, sorry): https://fr.audiofanzine.com/sequenceur-sampleur/akai/mpc-one/forums/t.761639,comment-installer-expansion-demos-template-en-interne-mpc-one,post.11051594.html
But where can we find a copy of the system to refill that internal MPC SD (EXT4 Formated)?
Once my waranty will be over, I'll try to share this but it's far away...

A pity that there's no factory reset on the MPC, even a PO have one...
By Lampdog Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:27 pm
Maoxiung wrote:I'll try to share this but it's far away...

No, no and flowers no.

Don’t post the file here.
Don’t suggest that sharing here.