MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By plule Fri May 13, 2022 11:49 am
Hi!

I've done a new tool to make keygroups programs: MPC Valet.

No install, it's all in the browser: You drag and drop samples in the window, you set the root notes if they were not autodetected, and you can download the XPM that has the low and high ranges pre-configured. It's a bit quick&dirty, so it's likely there are some bugs.

By SuperKonquer Sat May 14, 2022 1:03 am
Whoa this is really great. Nice work.
I wonder, could you do one for Chord progressions? As in you load a MPC chord progression file and change the values with predefined variables, rename the chords and add or delete notes/values and add or delete chord blocks. Being able to set the note and octave and delete blocks in such a rapid fashion as you have set up is 70 percent of what a good editor should do.
By plule Sun May 15, 2022 9:45 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:Whoa this is really great. Nice work.
I wonder, could you do one for Chord progressions? As in you load a MPC chord progression file and change the values with predefined variables, rename the chords and add or delete notes/values and add or delete chord blocks. Being able to set the note and octave and delete blocks in such a rapid fashion as you have set up is 70 percent of what a good editor should do.

I'd like to setup a keyboard view to visualize and edit the ranges, maybe I can reuse this for chord progressions. No promise though, I've never even used these
By T-Monk Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:27 pm
This works great. Thanks for making it.

Any chance you may add the ability to add samples to the other 3 spores per keygroup so we could make proper drag and drop multi-sampled, multi-velocity keygroup instruments?

Again, awesome. Thanks so much!
By T-Monk Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:21 pm
Any chance you might implement the ability fro MPC Valet to load multi-sampled samples like a piano with soft, medium soft, medium hard and hard hits? Like if 4 samples were all the note A4 with "P", "MP", "MF", and "FF" in the sample name, MPC Valet would decode that and load them all up to the same Keygroup, but each sample within the 4 sample slots? Then we could assign each slot to playback only when a certain velocity range is played on the keyboard.
Thanks again for this program. It is awesome.
By plule Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:55 am
I'm looking into handling multiple layers, but I have a hard time keeping a nice UI. At the moment I'm heading toward having 4 tabs, so you would drag and drop all the files for the first layer, then the second, etc...

What you are suggesting is a good idea, and detecting that multiple samples for the same note were added is easy, but then it would need to be much smarter than it is today to be able to assign the samples to consistent layers, maybe I'll try something like that next.
By cyber7 Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:10 am
very cool!
By Bradley Smith Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:17 pm
plule wrote:Hi!

I've done a new tool to make keygroups programs: MPC Valet.

No install, it's all in the browser: You drag and drop samples in the window, you set the root notes if they were not autodetected, and you can download the XPM that has the low and high ranges pre-configured. It's a bit quick&dirty, so it's likely there are some bugs.

Ok this is really impressive and I'm sure I'll find a use for it but I immediately lost interest in the actual tool when I saw that the entire thing is written in Rust! I had no idea Rust could do this. I've done C++ for 30+ years and finally I'm having to do UI web dev type work and absolutely dreading the thought of Javascript but now, you have given me hope.

Apologies for the derailment, as you were.
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 pm
I would be interested in a tool that could combine several keygroup programs into one, to hack around the 4-velocity-layers-per-keygroup limitation. And a facility to thin out the keys to e.g. not use a separate sample for every chromatic key would be handy, one sample for every 3 notes would be enough. I tried converting my old sample libraries over to Akai land with Extreme Sample Converter, and the converted Precisionsound Dusty Electric Mk II just crashes the Force halfway through loading the program. It's probably because there are too many layers, some keys have five velocity layers, and then there are three note-off layers in addition to that. It might be just about doable with 128 keygroups, but the conversion has to use some clever logic to shoehorn all the samples into MPC/Force limits.
By plule Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 pm
Bradley Smith wrote:I had no idea Rust could do this. I've done C++ for 30+ years and finally I'm having to do UI web dev type work and absolutely dreading the thought of Javascript but now, you have given me hope.

Ha, I have a somewhat similar profile (except 30+ age is closer to my age than my coding experience :) ) I learnt rust because I was tired of C++ and afraid of the javascript ecosystem. Give it a try! There are so many interesting ideas in this language, it really feels "right" as a modern low-level language. And yep, the ability to build for the web is really liberating too. For the other nerds reading this, the source is https://github.com/plule/mpc_valet. Don't look too much into it though, I'm really making a lot of compromises in the code cleanliness... Mayyybe it's time to take it a bit more seriously.

HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I would be interested in a tool that could combine several keygroup programs into one, to hack around the 4-velocity-layers-per-keygroup limitation. And a facility to thin out the keys to e.g. not use a separate sample for every chromatic key would be handy, one sample for every 3 notes would be enough.

For the keygroup programs combination it's likely out of reach of MPC Valet right now, I've never been annoyed by this limitation, so it's not something I'm looking a lot into. However, for the "thining out" of program I've used it a bit like this already and it works quite well, assuming that the root notes of your samples are correctly detected: You still have to manually remove the samples in the UI, but with the ranges being adapted automatically it removed the main pain point I had when doing it before.

I'm nearly done with the multi layer management, maybe later today or on my next "not lazy" time.
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:22 pm
I don't expect you to do anything about this, but just to show what kind of problems I'm looking at, here's the sample program loaded into Extreme Sample Converter, displaying the note-on samples, max. 5 velocity layers per key:

In addition to those, there are 3 note-off velocity layers, i.e. release samples. In total there are 7-8 different sample files for each MIDI note.

Here's note-on layer 3

And here's one of the note-off layers

I've tried converting the whole program to Akai S5000/S6000 and Z4/Z8 formats, but the Force crashes when loading, and so does the MPC-Beats Windows application. I cannot get even a cut-down program with four or three layers to load without crashing. BUT, I can load reduced versions with just ONE layer in each program to load without crashing. In theory I could use eight separate programs, on eight separate tracks, one for each layer... But it would be nicer to be able to merge these programs together somehow. Even then, it would be something like an hour of work for each sound.

Anyway, it's a wonderful Rhodes sound, and AFAIK, it's one of the sounds in the Nord library that can be downloaded for e.g. Nord Electro keyboards.
By 40Beatz Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:46 pm
It might be easier to Auto-Sample the S5000/S6000,....Z4/Z8 Library!