MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Zack Zerox Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:44 pm
NearTao wrote:I don't use windows, but this might help... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/terminal/tutorials/ssh. looks like it helps to explain that command prompt does have an ssh built in so you can just run ssh once you open a command prompt. you'll need to know your user to connect as, and the IP address of your MPC, but it'll look something like "ssh mpcuser@mpcip"

Ah, that's brilliant, thanks for clarifying it! :worthy:
By Zack Zerox Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:10 am
I should probably start another thread really, but I've hijacked this one already, so...

I installed the Hakai fw and although I got it basically working, realised it would take me ages to figure out the nuances (and mapping to a controller) so I reinstalled the kikgen firmware instead, to go with my original plan to just enable global midi mapping on my Live1. Start small and all that.

The problem is, I can rewrite the relevant file (/media/az01-internal/Settings/MPC/MPC.settings) on the MPC (using WinSCP on Windows), as per the instructions below, but every time I then reboot the MPC, that line is rewritten - something different each time (just random items from the default hardware maps). I thought my imported file (for a Beatstep Pro) might be corrupted, so I pointed it to other default ones (eg nanoKONTROL2), but the same thing happens. I even deleted all the files except my map in the '/media/az01-internal-sd/MPC Documents/Midi Learn/' folder, but then it just ignored my file and returned a null value.

Each and every time, the line

<VALUE name="MidiLearnPreviousMapping" val="(your xmm full path file name)"/>

- gets rewritten.

It's driving me nuts! Any ideas out there? I have the BSP set up nicely in the software, controlling all 16 Qlinks, switching Qlink modes and other modes... but I can't get it running on the standalone unit!

Here's the kikgen instructions:
Once you have a custom mapping file, copy it on your MPC internal sd-card at :

/media/az01-internal-sd/MPC Documents/Midi Learn/

If you reuse a template, all theses templates are already stored at :

/usr/share/Akai/SME0/Midi Learn

To activate the global midi mapping mode, you must edit the standalone MPC.settings file at :

/media/az01-internal/Settings/MPC/MPC.settings

and add/replace the following lines (search for "AbletonControlMode.Workspace" and insert/replace lines before) :

<VALUE name="MidiLearnEnabled" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="MidiLearnPreviousMapping" val="(your xmm full path file name)"/>
E.g. : for my Kikpad controller :

<VALUE name="MidiLearnPreviousMapping" val="/media/az01-internal-sd/MPC Documents/Midi Learn/KIKPAD.xmm"/>
e.g. for a Launchpad Mk2 :

<VALUE name="MidiLearnPreviousMapping" val="/usr/share/Akai/SME0/Midi Learn/Novation Launchpad Mk2.xmm"/>
Finally, you need to reboot you MPC / Force.
By Calcaire Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:49 am
Did you export the .xmm mapping file from the software ? You have to copy it into the internal mpc drive in the good place, as described by kikgen, and , it sounds like in 2.11 you should have to delete the other "factory" mappings that can override your personal one.

I already had the code line in settings file rewritten as you describe.

I'm using a mac en "mucommander" app to explore the ssh acess to my mpc.

After modifying the settings file, I 'm cliking on refresh so that I'm quite sur it's rewritten.

After 3 tries max I have the mapping file correctly loaded and it's reliable as soon as you don't reset preferences :)

So be sure to "actualize" the folder you acess to in SSH after modifying the file. Hope it helps
By Zack Zerox Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:36 pm
Calcaire wrote:Did you export the .xmm mapping file from the software ? You have to copy it into the internal mpc drive in the good place, as described by kikgen, and , it sounds like in 2.11 you should have to delete the other "factory" mappings that can override your personal one.

I already had the code line in settings file rewritten as you describe.

I'm using a mac en "mucommander" app to explore the ssh acess to my mpc.

After modifying the settings file, I 'm cliking on refresh so that I'm quite sur it's rewritten.

After 3 tries max I have the mapping file correctly loaded and it's reliable as soon as you don't reset preferences :)

So be sure to "actualize" the folder you acess to in SSH after modifying the file. Hope it helps

Thanks. I'm sure I'm using the right places according to the instructions, as you've also done.

When you say actualizing/refreshing the file, I'm guessing you mean some kind of 'commit' process to make sure the tweaked file is actually saved there as intended? I did wonder about that, and WinSCP has a 'sync' option, but as far as i can tell that just syncs a local and remote folder pair. I've used the SSH to drop the new file in and delete factory presets, and that's happened without any subsequent step.

However, I've never even heard of SSH before so it's very possible that I'm missing something critical (perhaps there is a 'commit' procedure somewhere). I'll keep trying... If anyone else has used WinSCP and can steer me in the right direction I'd be grateful.
By Zack Zerox Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:57 pm
Well, I'm stumped. I'm rewriting the files, refreshing and reloading them to confirm they are correct - which they are. Even shutting down WinSCP and opening a new session - they look correct. Then, I power down the MPC and when it's back on - that line is rewritten.

Here's what I get, whether I try to point it to my own .xmm file or a stock one:
<VALUE name="MidiLearnPreviousMapping" val=""/>

And that's when I've only left the single file (whether mine or the stock one) in the relevant folder.

Probably the best thing now is to take a hammer to it.
By Calcaire Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:58 pm
Helloi Ive managed to do it using hakai ( mpc mode 2.11.4 giving ssh access)

On mac: cyberduck (or mucommandrr) and terminal

On PC; putty and winscp

Using terminal in this location :
Mount , put the internal
Folder use/share/akai/SME/midolearn in rw
Erase all factory mapping
Copy your wanted .xmm in this same folder

Reset the permissions ( as it was before)

In settings file, point the command line to it. Double check the path begins by /usr between the two " "
Restart mpc .. Global mapping OK, midi learns are saved, now I can test the buggy 2.11 ... Op4 is convincing

Of course Be sure you have your control surface set to CONTROL in preferences / midi sync

All the discussion and the helpful people on the fb group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5503289 ... 1/?app=fbl

"Conte de sociale" is me :smoker:
By T-Monk Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:51 am
I’m in the same boat. Using kikgen ssh firmware, the MPC.settings file keeps erasing the path to the midi learn file. I’m not resetting preferences, or resetting the controller. It works sometimes though. Bit of a pita, so I’m thinking about just using the vanilla version, although I’ve modified some plugin skins.

Come on Akai! This should be a standard thing for a hardware sequencer in 2022, and even in 2002. Annoying.
By Zack Zerox Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:31 pm
T-Monk wrote:I’m in the same boat. Using kikgen ssh firmware, the MPC.settings file keeps erasing the path to the midi learn file. I’m not resetting preferences, or resetting the controller. It works sometimes though. Bit of a pita, so I’m thinking about just using the vanilla version, although I’ve modified some plugin skins.

Come on Akai! This should be a standard thing for a hardware sequencer in 2022, and even in 2002. Annoying.

Yeah, I've had no luck with either kikgen (2.10.x and 2.11.x) or Hakai (2.11.3 and 2.11.4). Same thing every time.

I can't write to the root 'usr' folder to delete the stock presets as suggested above, so I don't know if that might work. Don't really know what I'm doing there and would rather not make a mess of things.

It's a real shame. I'll try again with some future fw releases.

It's great that people are putting so much effort into improving how these machines function, and I appreciate their work (and the suggestions here too). Would be ideal if Akai just bloody enabled it natively though.
By Calcaire Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:43 pm
Zack i ve tryed to explain you how to modify permissions of the user/share....
Don't hesitate to give a look to the Facebook group and post Iink in my previous message.

You should succeed with ssh , by running terminal commands In this location , make the folder writeable, copy your mapping and delete the factory ones, then put back permissions on read only.
Sorry for my English and poor computer skills. :smoker:
By T-Monk Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:17 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:Yeah, I've had no luck with either kikgen (2.10.x and 2.11.x) or Hakai (2.11.3 and 2.11.4). Same thing every time.

Zack, I think I got it!

Here is what I did with Hakai 2.11.4:
    Launch MPC One
    Go to Preferences on the MPC One and select Ethernet
    Get IP address (we’ll pretend it is 192.168.1.25 for this example, but you will need to substitute your IP address when you get it)
    Open Terminal on Mac
    Type: ssh [email protected] systemctl stop inmusic-mpc
    It will prompt you yo accept the host. The MPC SCREEN WILL ALSO GO BLACK. The MPC software won’t be running.
    In Terminal, type: yes
    In Terminal, type: ssh [email protected] mount remount -o rw,remount /
    Open Filezilla
    Go to File>site manager
    Enter IP address in Host area and enter the user as root and the password as root
    Do your tweaks to the files in FileZilla. Drag, drop, edit.
    Back in Terminal, type: ssh [email protected] mount remount -o ro,remount /
    In Terminal type: ssh [email protected] systemctl restart inmusic-mpc
    This should restart the MPC software and you are done.

Hope that helps you or anyone else trying this.