MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MuttBeats Mon May 16, 2022 5:15 pm
Looks like a great update. New browser features and navigation from grid to program edit and back will be a real workflow boost. All other additions good too.

Fingers crossed for two other things… some kind of search or browser function for FX similar to the new plugin/expansions browser. New FX all good but personally I find it harder to remember where a specific FX is the longer the FX list becomes. Is XX under filter or modulation etc. Better sorting/search would be great.

And one small but important change in the Grid…. please please please can we have a Select All button on the touchscreen? Lassoing every note on the touchscreen is a PITA…pretty sure Select All is on the Force already so adding it to MPC OS should be simple (hopefully)…
By J.O.BEATS Mon May 16, 2022 5:19 pm
Browser looks like it’s for the mpc keys which makes sense

New efx will come in handy :nod:

Don’t really understand the need for ratchet. Looks more complicated than just using note repeat….

And it looks like people who want an MPC KEY will have to wait for another year or so. Good thing you can still just use your midi keyboard :wink:
By alexbuga Mon May 16, 2022 5:26 pm
I’m excited about Guitar Amp Sim and tuner also. Sampling guitars was already a no brainer.

Was hoping to see the Force mixer in this too. But I guess it is what it is.
Chance is dope
And also the new 16 levels replacement. That’s dope. I expect chords support too.
By HUBA Mon May 16, 2022 5:32 pm
40Beatz wrote:Fingers Crossed To See If They Added The Ability To Move Tracks/FX Slots. Easy Addition(Theoretically)

Well I might be wrong but if it was included I would expect it to be the major headline of this update and that demo dude probably would have had some serious back to front panty accident about it too.

In fact I'd say the level of enthusiasm he managed to summon for such a lackluster update is a pretty strong signal we're gonna see a lot more bloatware like features before we get anything actually useful like basic level functioning LFO's and envelopes or the ability to reorder the FX slots.

That's my take anyway, though I've been cranky all day so don't let me get you down I suppose :?
By jabberwalky Mon May 16, 2022 5:40 pm
I like that dude that does the demos, and he navigates the angry mobs well enough.

I will continue to make noise about improving keygroup functions, making mod wheel things work properly and other things. Keygroups are clearly the strongest part of the system, and they need more love.

Air Flavor and performance key ranges are both great additions I've been harping about for a while! I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. Excited to explore the new browser (but I fear it actually is more simplified, showing less information on screen than previously). The set list addition is interesting, but also for my music, it's still not super useful because MPC must stop audio and load the project anyways. Give me some way to transition project seamlessly!
By jabberwalky Mon May 16, 2022 5:45 pm
Certified Beatz wrote:Love finally can have one sound across the keyboard without all of this key group BS...

Happy so far..

Definitely. That was a must if they every want to consider it a "workstation" platform. Glad that's in there.
By K. Rah Mon May 16, 2022 5:48 pm
Happy to see a new update coming!

So around the 10:15 mark we see a drag/drop style menu customization… wouldn’t it be amazing to have a drag/drop sequence order, or fx order, or maybe even swapping pads within a program? I mean the channel/pad mixer screen is already laid out that way. Or why not give the COPY button a second role as PAD SWAP? I often find myself copying a pad just for the purpose of changing its location in the program, then having to go back and clear the old one.

This is what I like about the SP-404 workflow compared to the MPC; On the SP you can just dive in and mess around, and when you have an idea of what you want to do you can build and tear down, rearrange everything quickly and easily if you change your mind. On the MPC, you sort have to build a foundation, logically arrange things from the beginning if you don't want to have to backtrack later. At a certain level of a project's complexity, I become hesitant to introduce new programs or ideas because there are too many loose ends to fix first, if that makes any sense.

Been a while since I used jj, but I seem to remember being able to swap sequence order around by holding shift and moving the wheel or something…
Last edited by K. Rah on Mon May 16, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By HUBA Mon May 16, 2022 6:02 pm
sinik wrote:looks like a lot more use of the touchscreen, the new menu looks clustered and maxed out with stuff u can do.
i hope they don't get lost and that the mpc will still be somehow easy accesible in the future.

I was about to post practically word for word the same thing
By BostonGreen Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm
MuttBeats wrote:
And one small but important change in the Grid…. please please please can we have a Select All button on the touchscreen? Lassoing every note on the touchscreen is a PITA…pretty sure Select All is on the Force already so adding it to MPC OS should be simple (hopefully)…

You can currently just hit any pad to select all events for that pad, or do you mean all events on all pads?

If you want to select all notes for deletion, simply hit the erase button which brings up a popup allowing you to erase all, automation, note or everything except note.

What exact do you want to be able to do once everything selected?
By Elijah Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm
It seems that the new enhanced 16-level tuning is just a feature that automatically converts the selected sample to a keygroup...
By MuttBeats Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm
BostonGreen wrote:
MuttBeats wrote:

You can currently just hit any pad to select all events for that pad, or do you mean all events on all pads?

If you want to select all notes for deletion, simply hit the erase button which brings up a popup allowing you to erase all, automation, note or everything except note.

What exact do you want to be able to do once everything selected?

Basically select all notes then nudge/transpose/edit length or pretty much anything APART from delete all. I know all about the Erase button, that’s all good. The PITA is if I have a multi-bar track with loads of big fat stacked chords and decide (say) I want to nudge all of these back or forward by a quarter note. To do that I have to zoom out, switch to the Select tool, line up my finger outside the entire selection, lasso the whole lot (at which point the whole damn piano roll shifts down or up like 3 octaves depending on which direction I swipe), select Zoom AGAIN to check I haven’t left out a note by mistake… and only then can I nudge/transpose/etc the selection. It’s a stupid PITA that would be easily fixed with a Select All tab on the touchscreen… just like the one the Force has (IIRC). One of the biggest workflow killers in the Grid IMO.
By Drew Hamlett Mon May 16, 2022 6:59 pm
NewAkaiUser wrote:Image

Yep, and people still don't believe me when I say you can actually do most midi editing faster on the Maschine Plus than the Live. These touch screens are really bad and seeing more stuff that's reliant on the touch screen is not making me feel good.

Elijah wrote:It seems that the new enhanced 16-level tuning is just a feature that automatically converts the selected sample to a keygroup...

Yea it's the same thing the Force has. I thought he was going to show something different there
By mikem Mon May 16, 2022 7:34 pm
Drew Hamlett wrote:
Yep, and people still don't believe me when I say you can actually do most midi editing faster on the Maschine Plus than the Live. These touch screens are really bad and seeing more stuff that's reliant on the touch screen is not making me feel good.

I use a touch screen stylus for note editing, works way better than using fingers and I like it more than using the mouse in a DAW. A couple more note editing functions would still be nice.

All in all I'd say while the updates are nice, it seems a bit weak compared to 2.10, especially since the 2.10 release was so long ago. It's still a couple of weeks until release, so I hope he only showed the stuff that's finalized, and that there are a couple of bigger changes still coming (like arranger mode).