MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Eightysix69 Tue May 17, 2022 9:27 pm
Hey folks. So when I deleted, let's say, 5 samples from my current program, the MPC moved the remaining samples to different pads, ruining the track. It ruins the track because when I hit play, the pads that had recorded midi events are now playing whatever sample had moved into it's place. It's like the MPC senses the empty spots where the samples that I deleted were and fills them in by moving all the other samples in the bank upwards to fill in the blanks. My question is why does this happen and how am I supposed to delete samples from a program without this shit happening? It's quite likely user error but I really am at a loss here. Hopefully some of you vets can help me out! :hmmm:

Edit: Suppose I deleted a snare sample from the program, the sample beneath it in the sample bank was a short horn blast sound. When I press play, the pad that had the snare now has a horn blast sample on it :lol: Just imagine how retarded that shit sounds, snare rolls with a clown horn sound :lol: So if I delete a few samples froom the program's sample bank, am I supposed to go in and reassign and check that every pad still has it's original sample on it?
Last edited by Eightysix69 on Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Tue May 17, 2022 9:49 pm
Deleting a sample from a program, cool, the recorded performance for that sample is still there in a track. IF you put another sample on that pad the track will play and use the new sample. This same thing happens on ever mpc that I know of, on every sampler, etc.

The recorded performance on the track will have to be deleted/cleared out also.

I don't think the mpc sensed anything or moved everything up a bank or two on it's own.
It sounds like 2 problems here.

1. You deleted a sample that also had recorded performance on a track, you placed a new sound on that pad and now it plays same as before but with the new sample.

2. Moving up, might be that you accidentally used "transpose" in grid view somehow and moved pads up. Yeah, it happens sometimes. Check in grid view to see if the pads are the actual intended pads to play.

I have mpc x, v2.10.1.
By Eightysix69 Tue May 17, 2022 10:08 pm
I appreciate the reply man, and you are definitely a vet here! I think I may have figured it out. I deleted the sample, it was a 909 snare that when rolled sounded way too much like Madonna's Vogue :lol:
I didn't specifically put a new sound on the pad the snare was on, but the MPC did put the next sound down the list in the sample bank, the sample that followed the snare in the list, on the pad on it's own. I guess because there was midi data in the track assigned to that particular pad, a sample just fills it in automatically until you put one there manually. I could be wrong! lemme know if you think so, Thanks again. :worthy:
By Lampdog Tue May 17, 2022 11:47 pm
I’ve never heard of the pad just being filled in automagically with the next sample down. That’s crazy.

Can you try resetting preferences, new project and see if it happens again when you delete a sample?.

I’m curious how that happened.

No thanks needed :lol: :lol:

Did the samples share the same filename but diff extension?
By Eightysix69 Wed May 18, 2022 5:02 am
The samples were just from random packs I have in my installed SSD, but it's all well organized, they definitely didn't share anything like file name. I usually start with blank projects and just choose sounds from my library as I go.

I will try and recreate it, not right this second but I'll keep this conversation pinned and I'll message back when I do it. This also isn't the first time this has happened to me. It's happened a few times, and it's always the same story, when I delete a few samples from the sample assign window, some of the sounds get rearranged on my pads. I just finally decided to ask for help this time. I'll keep you posted.

Also, what do you mean when you say "resetting preferences"?
By Lampdog Wed May 18, 2022 8:07 pm
What OS are you on when this is happening?

Preferences
pg82, v2.20.1, standalone manual

To open the Preferences, tap the gear icon at the top of the screen.
To return to the Menu, tap the  icon in the upper-left corner. Changes to the Preferences are saved
automatically except for Vintage Mode (in the General tab) and Start Time (in the Sync tab).
To restore your MPC hardware’s default settings, tap Reset. In the screen that appears, tap OK to continue or
Cancel to return to the Preferences. In the next window, tap Save to save your current project before restoring the
default settings; tap Cancel to return to the Preferences; or tap Don’t Save to restore the default settings without
saving your current project.
Important: For MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II and MPC One, the Preferences will appear differently in Controller
Mode than in Standalone Mode. Some of the options described in this section may be available in only one of these
modes or in a different order. For MPC Studio, consult the MPC Software User Guide by going to Help > MPC Help >
MPC Software Manual for more information on the software preferences.