MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By WheelJack Wed May 18, 2022 12:22 am
I bought an MPC One and found that it is missing files/content that should be on the internal drive. For example the demo screen doesn’t come on at startup and when I check Settings and go to choose the option for Demos it says (Not Installed). I’m also missing other factory content.

I logged into my AkaiPro/InMusic accounts and downloaded all the factory content/demos, but that means they are stored externally, which I do not want.

After much googling I read about emailing Akai Support for a link to a restoration file. I emailed Akai and after a couple weeks got a reply with the link. Downloaded the file which results in a folder named ‘autorun’. It was about 12gb.

I followed Akai’s instructions- format an SD card or USB drive as exFat and copy the autorun folder to the root directory. Then plug the drive into the MPC and a dialog box to run the restoration should appear (it didn’t). If not, the instructions said to eject the card, turn off the MPC, put the card in, turn it on again and process should begin. This should have been good- when I turn it on I get a quick screen saying “Updating Content please do not unplug”, but then it disappears and a screen saying “Failed to load the internal content drive” comes up and that’s it.

I've tried using two different SD cards (both of which have worked for loading my own samples, project files and factory content) and also a USB drive, all reformatted to exFat (using both my Mac and the MPC itself) and with the autorun folder in the root directories. I keep getting the same error message "Failed to find the internal content drive". I've even redownloaded the autorun folder and reformatted and tried again and again.

I emailed Akai back days ago and will hopefully eventually get a helpful reply, but am wondering if anyone here has had the same problem and what they did to solve it. There is an older thread here on the forums where someone had a similar issue, but it was not resolved, other than having someone PM them the file, which I shouldn’t need as I got mine directly from Akai so it must be some other problem.
By Ultros Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 pm
It takes a long time to copy 12gb to the system. put the card in the machine before powering on. then hit power and go watch tv for 30 minutes the message will pop up only once its finished.
By WheelJack Thu May 19, 2022 6:29 pm
@Ultros Thanks for the replies. I tried your suggestion, but nothing changed after leaving the unit alone with the ‘Failed to find the internal content drive’ screen there for over an hour. The only option in that screen is an Okay button. Once I hit that it just takes me to an empty new project like normal.

And, yes, as I said in my initial post, the cards and USB drive were formatted as ExFat.
By WheelJack Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:35 am
Another member PMed me asking if I ever resolved the problem so I’m posting here what I wrote back to them:

Akai support sent me a link to the Autorun file. After trying over and over and over with multiple cards and drives I contacted support again. Waited forever for a reply that said they sent the wrong link. Repeat of same, extremely frustrating experience. Contacted them again and they said the second link was also wrong and asked when would be convenient for them to call me on the phone. I said I have the following 2 days off work. Well they called on the day after my days off so I was at work and obviously didn’t have the MPC with me. I tried calling them a few times, but gave up out of frustration and sold the MPC One. I’ve gone back to Roland and bought an SP404 MK2, which I’m in love with.
By Bradley Smith Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:08 am
cocosushi wrote:had the same problem - akai / inmusic support sent me a link via email to a file named "MPC_full_content_usbupdater.zip" which I installed and everything was working again.

Any chance you could host this file somewhere? I don’t need it but I bet it’d be really helpful to someone.
By cocosushi Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:36 pm
Bradley Smith wrote:
cocosushi wrote:had the same problem - akai / inmusic support sent me a link via email to a file named "MPC_full_content_usbupdater.zip" which I installed and everything was working again.

Any chance you could host this file somewhere? I don’t need it but I bet it’d be really helpful to someone.

I don't want to risk getting sued for a possible a copyright violation, so I'm sorry I can't help in this case.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 pm
Yes, please remember that the MPC Factory content is copyrighted and not for public distribution, please don't post any download links here on the forum.

If you are missing the content or are experiencing system instability after previously deleting the factory content., contact Akai with your registration details to request the installer. If your system is fine and you just want access to any missing factory kits, just download the content from your Akai account and install it to an attached drive.
By Atetraxx Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:19 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yes, please remember that the MPC Factory content is copyrighted and not for public distribution, please don't post any download links here on the forum.

If you are missing the content or are experiencing system instability after previously deleting the factory content., contact Akai with your registration details to request the installer. If your system is fine and you just want access to any missing factory kits, just download the content from your Akai account and install it to an attached drive.

You know . That would be a fair response if their support wasnt non existent. It's absolutely fair game imo to share with other mpc users who are having this issue and are getting ignored by Akai.

That being said, I really really need this auto run file. I've been trying for months to get it from support. I bought a used mpcx and ask that content is missing and the touch screen is almost unusable. I'm really hoping it's because the files are deleted. I truly regret getting an mpc at this point. Any help would be huge
By Atetraxx Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:34 pm
WheelJack wrote:Another member PMed me asking if I ever resolved the problem so I’m posting here what I wrote back to them:

Akai support sent me a link to the Autorun file. After trying over and over and over with multiple cards and drives I contacted support again. Waited forever for a reply that said they sent the wrong link. Repeat of same, extremely frustrating experience. Contacted them again and they said the second link was also wrong and asked when would be convenient for them to call me on the phone. I said I have the following 2 days off work. Well they called on the day after my days off so I was at work and obviously didn’t have the MPC with me. I tried calling them a few times, but gave up out of frustration and sold the MPC One. I’ve gone back to Roland and bought an SP404 MK2, which I’m in love with.

I am now having the same issue. Not good that your issue never resolved. oof.
By drew_d Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:23 pm
was this ever resolved? bought my mpc one second hand off reverb. have been in contact with support. they sent me the link to the zip titled "MPCONE_full_content_updater.zip". I follow the directions and put it onto a 16Gb Sd card. But, once I plug said SD card into the MPC One, it just starts up manually. I have also tried using "MPC_full_content_usbupdater.zip" and it gives me a 'Failed to find the internal content drive'. Any help is very much appreciated!