MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:50 pm
T-Monk wrote:It seems 2.11 has free running LFOs.

It does??! :hmmm:
By Monotremata Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:58 am
EnochLight wrote:
T-Monk wrote:It seems 2.11 has free running LFOs.

It does??! :hmmm:

Nope. Just tested it with a key group and the Low 2 filter, Sine LFO running really slow so I could hear it start/stop better. Filter mod value set to 30.
LFO starts at the same spot every single time the key is pressed, still the same as its always been.
By T-Monk Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:08 am
I’ll double check all the shapes. I feel like today I was using the S&H shape and it was key re triggered so when I set it very slow it always started at a different spot when playing a new note. The Square definitely doesn’t retriever at “0” every time, otherwise my hack would work.
By Monotremata Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:12 am
Sample & Hold is essentially 'random' so it should start wherever but who knows with the MPC hah.
By monkito Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’m saying if it’s in the manual, it should be in the machine. If it’s not there then it’s not there.

Obvious thing is obvious.

How does your constant refrain about features being in the manual (or not) _actually_ contribute anything to the dialogue at hand. It seems as if you personally get off on rolling out this retort. That you do so with such frequency and with so little to offer otherwise in this dynamic, is, at this point, at the expense of and diminishing of others on this forum.

As Mike Peake used to say on the synth forums in the late 90s, maybe try coming at things with "More light and less heat."
By 40Beatz Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm
:popcorn:
By Lampdog Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:28 pm
Request Tutor delete my account, ban me, if you feel that way. Do it.
By Christov Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:35 pm
Lampdog thought me and others alot over the years, so I salute him for years of helping people out who needed advice or help with their gear. Thank God for people like Lampdog, otherwise this board would just be a bunch of people moaning about functions that aren't in a machine that never pretended to have such functions.

This subforum kinda sucks at the moment because of this mentality. You never see it in the legacy subforums. Almost makes me wanna go back to a 2500 just to avoid it haha.
By EnochLight Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:12 pm
Monotremata wrote:Nope. Just tested it with a key group and the Low 2 filter, Sine LFO running really slow so I could hear it start/stop better. Filter mod value set to 30.
LFO starts at the same spot every single time the key is pressed, still the same as its always been.

T-Monk wrote:I’ll double check all the shapes. I feel like today I was using the S&H shape and it was key re triggered so when I set it very slow it always started at a different spot when playing a new note. The Square definitely doesn’t retriever at “0” every time, otherwise my hack would work.

Yeah, I agree with Monotremata. In fact, I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and say that the LFO's are absolutely *NOT* free running in 2.11. This has been such a widely requested feature that I would wager Akai would have absolutely brought this up in the 2.11 launch videos and marketing. :nod:
By Monotremata Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:54 pm
monkito wrote:
Lampdog wrote:I’m saying if it’s in the manual, it should be in the machine. If it’s not there then it’s not there.

Obvious thing is obvious.

How does your constant refrain about features being in the manual (or not) _actually_ contribute anything to the dialogue at hand. It seems as if you personally get off on rolling out this retort. That you do so with such frequency and with so little to offer otherwise in this dynamic, is, at this point, at the expense of and diminishing of others on this forum.

As Mike Peake used to say on the synth forums in the late 90s, maybe try coming at things with "More light and less heat."

Not calling you out personally or anything but my take on it..

There seems be a surge in the last decade or so of lazy folks that just run right to the internet for help with ANYTHING. The MPC's manual sucks sure, but it does in fact go over all of the features and how to use them in it, its just set up more like an encyclopedia instead of a 'how to' guide.
We've seen people asking how to do the most basic shit like add a sample to a program. How to play a program. Etc.. Maybe I'm just 'old school', I am almost 50 now, but when I spend over $1000 on a product, I actually sit down FIRST and go through the user guide to learn how to use my new toy I just dropped half a pay check on. Some folks and the younger generation especially, seem to think you just throw money at something and the internet will tell you what to do with it. That's not how it should work. People should learn to educate themselves on a basic level first, and Id bet half the random posts on this forum would disappear and we could get back to the real issues like the bugs we keep running across and tips and tricks to make the MPC do what we want.

Instead we spend half the time telling people stuff that is in the first 20 pages of the user guide and could've been learned if they took five minutes out of their XBox/YouTube/Tik Tok/Instagram fantasy hour to read it. I'd rather this board be filled with useful tips and tricks for squeezing more out of your sampler, not 30 pages of 'How do I put samples on my SD card?' or 'How do I sample?' Know what I mean?
By T-Monk Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:43 am
So, there is a hidden parameter to setup Free-Running LFOs!

Apparently we can't set it up in the software or standalone, but it is in the XPM.

Here is a screenshot of 2 different program. An old one which is key-reset, and a newly created (in 2.11) drum pad to key group program.

The one on the left is not-free running and reset each key press, and the one on the right is not reset. See the parameter <Reset> on line 253 and line 285.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6clhb2q48x84m ... %20LFO.png
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:15 am
Just tested this with a slow rate square wave modulating 127 pitch, triggering a note at irregular intervals. The 'default' LFO setting is 'reset:true' and always starts the note at the same high pitch setting.

Change to reset:false and the inital pitch is varying, the LFO appears to be free running.

I remember a few releases back they included an option for free running LFO in program edit in the MPC Software GUI, but it didn't do anything, they must have been working on this for a while now. I assume it might be buggy, hence not yet officially added.

But there's always easter eggs in the XPM file, for example portamento was there for a very long time before it was added in program edit (you could however access it via qlink > program mode by assigning it to qlinks).

There's also no 'pad tune' option in program edit, but it is there in the xpm file (as two parameters, tunefine and tunecoarse). Again, this one can currently be adjusted via Qlinks (pad scene mode, set to 'tuning').
By Monotremata Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:43 pm
Good find! I remember when the parameter showed up in the software and didn't do anything haha. Maybe they HAVE been working on the LFO stuff (and a mod matrix!) but it just isn't ready yet? I was messing around with a couple XPM's trying to see if I could disable Pad Perform but didn't work heh. They just reordered the options so if you pick 1 now (which used to be off) its set to Chromatic. I wonder if you can set it to 0 or 7 and get it to turn off, I'll have to try that this weekend when I get the MPC unpacked.
By EnochLight Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:23 pm
T-Monk wrote:So, there is a hidden parameter to setup Free-Running LFOs!

Apparently we can't set it up in the software or standalone, but it is in the XPM.

Here is a screenshot of 2 different program. An old one which is key-reset, and a newly created (in 2.11) drum pad to key group program.

The one on the left is not-free running and reset each key press, and the one on the right is not reset. See the parameter <Reset> on line 253 and line 285.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6clhb2q48x84m ... %20LFO.png

Nice find! OK, so - "officially" there is no free-running LFO option, but modifying the XPM file seems to work. When this XPM is opened in standalone, does the LFO remain free-running? :hmmm: If so, that's pretty bad ass!