MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Mpcisfun Wed May 18, 2022 8:56 pm
How can I make the keygroup program LFO be free running and not reset to zero after each keypress?
By Lampdog Wed May 18, 2022 11:20 pm
probably a good idea to read the manual and see what the machine CAN do and run with that until something else comes along.

Mpc Bible has tutorials, methods, techniques and such to get you even further than the manual.
By HUBA Wed May 18, 2022 11:51 pm
Lampdog wrote:probably a good idea to read the manual and see what the machine CAN do and run with that until something else comes along.

And how vocal exactly is the manual about the LFO lacking such a basic feature as being able to run freely? It's probably safe to say it's not given anything near what would be the proper space and attention for such an alarming shortcoming If it's even mentioned at all.
By Mpcisfun Thu May 19, 2022 1:24 pm
I have to say I’m very surprised and disappointed by the lack of this. What a basic feature…
Sad reality that Akai will put their focus on adding flashy plugins instead.
By DeaDeus Thu May 19, 2022 2:35 pm
"...see what the machine CAN do..."
I cannot except things like this. If I buy a kiddies-keyboard I do not expect it to have anything.
If I buy a piece of plastic, calling itself to be a Studio Center Piece, I'd expect basic functions. Especially if it is, like in this case, the base for a LFO/Envelope controlled sound - before it is controlled it is free.

But I do not miss this function as I do such things with my Virus.
AKAI produces samplers with a high range of other things - "buy one and get all" does not exist.

Edit: ...and even here it is not perfect - try recording a live session or a song longer than 5.5 minutes :worthy:
By Lampdog Fri May 20, 2022 1:49 am
HUBA wrote:
Lampdog wrote:probably a good idea to read the manual and see what the machine CAN do and run with that until something else comes along.

And how vocal exactly is the manual about the LFO lacking such a basic feature as being able to run freely? It's probably safe to say it's not given anything near what would be the proper space and attention for such an alarming shortcoming If it's even mentioned at all.

I’m saying if it’s in the manual, it should be in the machine. If it’s not there then it’s not there.
By dryad-66 Fri May 20, 2022 8:04 am
Im def more into Sample as synth material,especially at this point in the game-meaning we’ve done nearly everything we can do with straight up samples since the 80s and the sound of these modern samplers is so neutral and transparent that it has become pretty uninteresting to myself that i demand (a bit strong i know) an injection of life into the process ie i need more modulation -i want my samples to freak on there own.Imagine having various sounds being modulated around freely on there own.Happy accidents ectect…….Otherwise it becomes (can become without work) a bit static.The 4000 is great for this.And sounds very natural.Imo a percussion sampler/sequencer should have this as default like real percussion does.Cant understand why,it cant be that hard to do,rather than add stuff that just bloats the OS ultimately.C mon Akai.Loosen up!!!!!Id love a stripped back alternative OS with out all the bling ting with just sampling,modulation matrix working with FX and straight solid sequencer “ ]
By DeaDeus Sun May 22, 2022 3:32 pm
Mpcisfun wrote:How can I make the keygroup program LFO be free running and not reset to zero after each keypress?

I digged a little into what I have left aside. The Hype can do so.
- Go into Effects 1 - on the left hand side you can control the LFO (off, 1st note, each note, Tempo+Note, Beat+Note) and of course the Hz rate, as it pleases you. At least here it gives you the freedom of free running LFO
By mpc_fan_2022 Sun May 22, 2022 4:47 pm
Hype isn't a keygroup program.

The Lack of free running LFO for key groups is very unfortunate and AKAI does not deem it a priority to fix it.
By Lampdog Sun May 22, 2022 5:31 pm
Fixing, wouldn’t that suggest the “thing” is already there but broken?

Is it in the manual? Is it the machine per the manual. No, then it’s not broken.

However.
It IS needed for many users and is a glaring omission from the stock standard architecture of basic synths.

It’s an mpc tho. Does mountains more than previous generations, still just an mpc tho.

Free running would mean LFO runs independent of note and/or sequencer, it’s always “running” it’s own lil happy marathon.
By jabberwalky Sun May 22, 2022 6:51 pm
I don't understand the defense of omissions like this. MPC has regressed. Straight from the mpc4k manual....

By Lampdog Sun May 22, 2022 9:09 pm
No ones defending regression and bassackwardness.

If it’s there it’s there. If it’s not it’s not.

A discussion of “should it be there” is separate. Mixing the 2 is filthy.
By collargrip_cristian Tue May 24, 2022 2:27 am
Man this would be convenient!

jabberwalky wrote:I don't understand the defense of omissions like this. MPC has regressed. Straight from the mpc4k manual....

By monkito Wed May 25, 2022 5:00 pm
Lampdog wrote:No ones defending regression and bassackwardness.

If it’s there it’s there. If it’s not it’s not.

A discussion of “should it be there” is separate. Mixing the 2 is filthy.

No, it is not. It is clear that the current crop of MPC software designers are simply maintaining the spirit of the classic MPC lineup, but lack the institutional memory to enact the spirit of Roger Lynn's innovation and instead gate keep the status quo. Free running LFOs are a standard feature for contemporary sound design for a very long time now. The fact that this most basic of features is missing from the current crop of MPCs is a blatant oversight and absolutely retrograde and backwards headed.

Shame on you for supporting and endorsing InMusic's marketing practices. If current users don't advocate for reintroduction of a preexisting MPC feature which has been _removed_ from contemporary machines, that lack of feature will likely never go noticed by the twenty something InMusic software designers who were just babies when the original Akai MPC design teams were active.