MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By toddADSR Sat May 21, 2022 2:24 pm
When working in hardware mode, multitracking hardware synths into the MPC to play along with drum tracks and sample loops on the MPC, any workarounds for the audio latency? I'm not recording the actual tracks coming in just yet until I fine tune them, but they are way out of sync with the MPC. Thanks!
By Lampdog Sat May 21, 2022 3:01 pm
With X I have 2 hardware usb midi synths connected to a powered usb 3.0 hub, that hub is connected to X usb in back. I have no latency issues with triggering at all.

Audio for Moog uses Kronos as an efx box pass thru.

Kronos2 optical audio to RME.
Kronos analog audio 2x trs balanced 1/4 to mpc in case I want to sample either kybd.

By DeaDeus Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 pm
Lampdog, interessting.
You are not using a mixer?
I use a Sub to send what ever I like to the MPCX. I know it is another routing through audio channels....but it give a higher flexibility.
I use the Virus input to route the M3 (which is the incestor of the Kronos) through the Virus filters - if there is a need for it.

Top graphic - I am too lazy to do so ;-)
By DeaDeus Sat May 21, 2022 5:08 pm
toddADSR wrote:When working in hardware mode, multitracking hardware synths into the MPC to play along with drum tracks and sample loops on the MPC, any workarounds for the audio latency? I'm not recording the actual tracks coming in just yet until I fine tune them, but they are way out of sync with the MPC. Thanks!

hmmm, I am doing this all the time, not having an issue as yet (MPCX recording and finalizing only).
OK - here an workflow example:
- record the lead bass line (along a not recorded drum rhythm, but close to what I want)
-- does not matter whether sampled or synth based bass line...
- run the recorded bass and the not recorded drums and add synth as required
-- as the playback comes from the MPCX it is in timing with the recorded
- same for vocals or any other instrument
- add the proper drums (drums coming from an external machine) to the clock

I am a very critical user (some might tell) but, even though I know audio latency exists, I never had an issue with it
By mpc_fan_2022 Sat May 21, 2022 5:19 pm
toddADSR wrote:When working in hardware mode, multitracking hardware synths into the MPC to play along with drum tracks and sample loops on the MPC, any workarounds for the audio latency? I'm not recording the actual tracks coming in just yet until I fine tune them, but they are way out of sync with the MPC. Thanks!

Since nobody actually answered your question, what you want is called "direct monitoring" but it doesn't seem like the MPC can do that, unfortunately. so get an external mixer.

An alternative is using the sample delay effect on internal tracks, with the obvious issue it leads to (latency on internal tracks).
By toddADSR Sat May 21, 2022 8:43 pm
I should clarify that the synths' audio goes to a Tascam US-16X8 first which is hooked up to, and multitracking into the MPC by USB.
By Lampdog Sun May 22, 2022 1:47 am
I don’t use mpc usb audio input so I can’t help there.
By Kwerky Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:04 pm
toddADSR wrote:I should clarify that the synths' audio goes to a Tascam US-16X8 first which is hooked up to, and multitracking into the MPC by USB.

Some USB audio interfaces have noticeable round trip latency, some up to 10+mS.
I've had a Focusrite 2x2 and currently have a Behringer UMC202HD, both suffer this problem.
I don't use them for music production because of the latency.

If you want to avoid this, I'd suggest doing research on what audio interface would suit your needs & budget

This thread goes into great detail regarding round trip latency.
It compares respected audio interfaces
https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... -base.html
The chart comparing top interfaces on the first page is kept up to date.

Hope this helps.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:25 pm
DeaDeus wrote:Lampdog, interessting.
You are not using a mixer?

I have a mixer. Never used it, still brand new just sitting there for years.
Moog audio goes into Kronos2 and uses efx there.
Kronos2’s trs output audio goes into MPC X line in.
MPC X trs output audio goes into audio interface.
No mixer needed.

Audio interface can handle all these lines on it’s own but I just haven’t connected it for use in that manner, just don’t care enough.
By jabberwalky Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:17 pm
The latency when monitoring audio in on MPC Standalone is noticable, definitely can feel it when running 16th notes and stuff. When you actually end up recording the audio, the track should be in sync, it just struggles to monitor it properly. Since I, like you, want to hear things in sync all the time, I just monitor directly from my Scarlett 18i8, then send the signal to the MPC as a sort of FX send (all FX at 100% wet). This kinda give you the rock solid timing, but the MPC fx.
By Low3001 Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:19 pm
I have a similiar problem with my MPC One. I have connected four external hardware synths via Midi (and a masterkeyboard via USB). The synths are connected to an analog mixer.
When I record the external synths audio into the MPC via subgroup on the analog mixer (I don't use an audio interface), there is a very little latency, compared to the midi tracks of the sounds. Not much but it is there. I have to trim the audio a little bit at start.

Any ideas what could be the cause?
By Monotremata Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:52 pm
Low3001 wrote:I have a similiar problem with my MPC One. I have connected four external hardware synths via Midi (and a masterkeyboard via USB). The synths are connected to an analog mixer.
When I record the external synths audio into the MPC via subgroup on the analog mixer (I don't use an audio interface), there is a very little latency, compared to the midi tracks of the sounds. Not much but it is there. I have to trim the audio a little bit at start.

That's just the way it is. Everything is going to be latent when recording digitally, there is always processing time to factor in, along with a lot of other things going on. You're sending a MIDI note to a hardware device, that hardware device needs to receive the note and then process it and play it, which then needs to make its way down the audio cable and reach the interface/recorder. Not to mention MIDI is a serial communication protocol, one message at a time down the pipe, regardless of how many channels/synths/etc you're sending too. It's in milliseconds, but the more MIDI gear you have, the longer the processing time takes. You folks that weren't alive or old enough to be using this stuff in the late 80s/early 90s missed out on THRU chains that made things really slow if you had more than about 3 synths hooked up.

The MPC doesn't give us any facility for changing the buffers or delay compensation (if it even has it) or anything to do with the recording aspect of it, so it is what it is. When Im finished writing a track on the MPC with 16+ channels of samples, and 3 or 4 MIDI synths playing along, I've always got to shift everything once I multitrack it in Cubase to line up with the grid. Even a Mac with a rock solid RME setup is going to have latency and be a little off once you zoom in and look at the transients..
By Smokeychuck Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:54 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Low3001 wrote:I have a similiar problem with my MPC One. I have connected four external hardware synths via Midi (and a masterkeyboard via USB). The synths are connected to an analog mixer.

That's just the way it is. Everything is going to be latent when recording digitally, there is always processing time to factor in, along with a lot of other things going on. You're sending a MIDI note to a hardware device, that hardware device needs to receive the note and then process it and play it, which then needs to make its way down the audio cable and reach the interface/recorder. Not to mention MIDI is a serial communication protocol, one message at a time down the pipe, regardless of how many channels/synths/etc you're sending too. It's in milliseconds, but the more MIDI gear you have, the longer the processing time takes. You folks that weren't alive or old enough to be using this stuff in the late 80s/early 90s missed out on THRU chains that made things really slow if you had more than about 3 synths hooked up.

The MPC doesn't give us any facility for changing the buffers or delay compensation (if it even has it) or anything to do with the recording aspect of it, so it is what it is. When Im finished writing a track on the MPC with 16+ channels of samples, and 3 or 4 MIDI synths playing along, I've always got to shift everything once I multitrack it in Cubase to line up with the grid. Even a Mac with a rock solid RME setup is going to have latency and be a little off once you zoom in and look at the transients..

There are things that can be done to reduce latency when tracking keyboards that are connected to an MPC via midi. I’ve never noticed latency issues in my modern setup (such issues were extremely common 20 years ago).

Some things you can do to reduce latency:
- Ensure that all midi devices are connected to a midi interface as a “star” network. This means that every midi keyboard’s inputs and outputs are directly connected to the MPC or to a midi interface like the MioXL with the mio-XL connected to the MPC via USB.
- NEVER daisy chain the “midi in” inputs on your keyboards from the output or throughout of another. In a daisy chained setup the last keyboard in the chain will have the most latency and all keyboards will have different latency. Daisy chaining is still fairly common today, unfortunately.
- Use similar length cables, but they don’t have to be the same length. An extra 10 feet of cable will have such a small effect on latency — tilting your head off axis from the ideal listening position will introduce about 8x greater latency than an extra 10 feet of cable. Numbers are approximated and latency here is in nanoseconds based on theoretical max speed of electricity over a wire.
- Consider tracking instruments without software effects on the program/channel. Consider using physical effects units such as pedals if you wish to track with effects. This will reduce load on the system.
- Consider using the MPC in controller mode (since class compliant mode is **** awful) if you have a mixer interface as this will give you direct monitoring.

For example I use the MPC Live gen1 with an SSL Big Six. I use the MPC in controller mode until I’m ready to export stems and load them up in Logic or protools for finishing touches. All of my keyboards are direct monitored from my ssl board so I don’t even have to deal with monitoring latency.