MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Rare Nature Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 am
What's good

So I just copped a MPC X after having the Live II for about a year and while I'm really enjoying it, I noticed the screen seems dimmer and kinda washed out compared to my Live II. Both are set to day mode but the X still seems to be much dimmer. Example below

Edit: Sorry, Idk how to embed on here

The X

The Live II

I never used one before I copped, so I don't know if this is normal? This unit is a demo, but it seems to be in mint condition other than this. Is the screen maybe just starting to go bad? If its not normal I'll definitely be sending it back. Any info you guys have would be appreciated.

Salute
By MPC-Tutor Sun May 22, 2022 8:30 am
From the images the screen certainly looks washed out, so if the images are a true representation of what you are seeing then yes, something isn't as it should be. I don't have an X, but I have an original Live Mk 1, and an MPC Touch from a similar 'era' and the screen colours are still vibrant, 5-6 years later. We're not talking retina screens here, but the colours on all my MPCs are fairly consistent in terms of vibrancy, perhaps my MPC One screen is a little more punchy and the touch sensitivity has definitely improved.

However the X does have a different screen, at least in size, but perhaps also different tech, so maybe they just don't age as well.

Maybe an X owner can provide better insight.
By Lampdog Sun May 22, 2022 1:45 pm
My X screen is not washed out like the X pic above, almost 2yrs since purchasing X new for me. Demo unit, I’d think it was previously on all day long at the brightest settings.

I think somewhere in the forums someone mentioned X screens are not the same tech as Live screens I’ve not verified that info though.
By BeatWilson Sun May 22, 2022 9:07 pm
Mine is still vibrant even though I honestly wish it was just an old school Dos looking screen hahaha...
Love the functionality of the machine though.
By Ultros Mon May 23, 2022 1:24 pm
It's 100% normal. the x sets the screen brightness differently than other units. If you were to spoof your MPC live into MPC X mode (using custom firmware) the screen brightness modes would then match. Why they did that who knows but its merely a different value being sent to the kernel that tells the screen what brightnees to use. I've investigated it myself.

I leave my mpc one spoofed into mpc X mode just for that reason, try to prolong the life of my MPC by keeping the brightness down. Bright = heat and heat = eventual death.
By BeatWilson Mon May 23, 2022 4:44 pm
I agree about the Bright Light=Heat.
I wish it had a proper dim. Also a way to turn off all lights on the pads at once.
By 40Beatz Mon May 23, 2022 5:36 pm
Check to see if the Day/Night Screen Brightness is enabled? In the Preferences/Hardware Section
By Ultros Mon May 23, 2022 10:00 pm
The brightness settings should have a dimmer slider rather than two static options it really makes no sense and it annoys the hell out of me.
By michaelrey Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:48 pm
Hey All,

Just bought a used MPC X and I think I'm experiencing the same issue with screen. Very dim. Does anyone know a fix for this? Really trying digging here and not coming up with an answer.
By 40Beatz Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:32 pm
reset preferences....maybe adjust the LCD Dimmng in the Preference menu