MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Bradley Smith Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:11 pm
I want to know what the keybed is like. I bought an Argon8x partly because I wanted wavetable synthesis but largely for the keybed ( I'd considered a DeepMind but heard the keybed was not as good). Can anyone with one comment on how good the Key61 is?
By hansjbs Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:20 pm
Straker wrote:@ handjobs :)

My logic is that a new X will come out soon with 4gb and all plugins.
It's been made in 2017 as you said.
So after 5 years is just normal that it's gonna be upgraded and that's the reason why they didn't give new plugins for free.
Now it's time for the key61 hype.
When it will come down, it will be time for new X.
I wonder if they will upgrade also Live and One and when, just that.

Ps I have the same phone since 4 years. A cheap android. Not gonna pay money for that shit.

:lol: :lol: great the hand job joke again
By hansjbs Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:23 pm
64hz wrote:
hansjbs wrote:
Apple does that every year
Android phones same
Intel releases a new updated CPU almost every year
So does AMD
Pretty much any commercial product go thru this so I don’t understand your logic about the MPC X which was released back in 2017.

How often do you update your phone?

Please don’t compare musical equipment to a mobile phone lol. :lol:

They all fall under consumer products so yes I can compare them because they fall under the “upgrade as little as possible and make more money category” :lol: . As an engineer that works for the DOD that’s how I see it :lol:
By sheepbop Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm
jabberwalky wrote:Few days in now. Opx4 just kills it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the more egg-head inclined of us might really dig this one.

And remember that you don't *have* to use the FM :) All that matrix modulation sounds good.

But is there a manual? It could get quite complex. I can't see any manuals for any of the new plugins.
By sheepbop Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:31 pm
sheepbop wrote:
jabberwalky wrote:Few days in now. Opx4 just kills it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the more egg-head inclined of us might really dig this one.

All that matrix modulation sounds good.

<looks closer> You can even have modulators modulate other modulators! (There are 32). And have "note count" as a modulation source, which is intriguing. I was wondering why the envelopes page had six envelopes for four operators: the other two envelopes are here as modulation sources. Well, all six envelopes are here as mod sources.
By Bradley Smith Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:38 pm
I think I see why some love what MPC is becoming and some do not. I was going to buy a drum machine and then chose an MPC One as to me it was a drum machine, sampler and sequencer all in one! Awesome! Then they gave us some free synths. Cool. I mean, I don't use them cos I do synths another way but cool. Then they gave us more synths and effects, most of which are paid, and at the same time made the midi and keygroups worse. Now, with 2.11 my MPC One is worse than it was at 2.10. So, I'd rather 2.11 have been a bug fix release. Instead I'm back on 2.10. If you want MPC to be the centre of everything though then what Akai are doing is amazing! So, enjoy.
By Straker Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 pm
Bradley Smith wrote:I think I see why some love what MPC is becoming and some do not. I was going to buy a drum machine and then chose an MPC One as to me it was a drum machine, sampler and sequencer all in one! Awesome! Then they gave us some free synths. Cool. I mean, I don't use them cos I do synths another way but cool. Then they gave us more synths and effects, most of which are paid, and at the same time made the midi and keygroups worse. Now, with 2.11 my MPC One is worse than it was at 2.10. So, I'd rather 2.11 have been a bug fix release. Instead I'm back on 2.10. If you want MPC to be the centre of everything though then what Akai are doing is amazing! So, enjoy.

Mpc is going from an Akai/Linn product to an Air product.
All the stuff related to sampler sequencer is basic and more or less at the same point.
All the stuff related to daw is taking more space update per update.
Remember it was the first thing they said in 2017: a daw replacer.
If they had to sold it just to sampler sequencer users, they could not go so far.
As a daw replacer, it sells to many more people who are getting out from computers.
I understand your frustration but that's the world we are living. They need to make cash.
I also bought it as a sampler sequencer.
But I was happy when they put Air fx. It was a huge step forward from Akai fx.
I was also happy with the synths, good bonus.
Now I don't care about these new expensive synths but FM one is interesting.
I agree that they should also satisfy sampler sequencer users and fix the bugs and add some more features for sequencer.
It's still quite basic.
But at the end I am enjoying making music with this Mpc. It's a nice tool, funny, fast, good sounding.
So I don't complain.
But fix the bugs, please.
By EnochLight Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:46 pm
Bradley Smith wrote:Now, with 2.11 my MPC One is worse than it was at 2.10. .

How so? :hmmm:

Straker wrote:Mpc is going from an Akai/Linn product to an Air product..

True, and I'd argue - it was absolutely for the better. Aside from Linn's initial offering those first few releases, I'm not sure just how much more he could have pushed the platform forward. Frankly what Akai/Air have accomplished is nothing short of astounding - to have such a fully featured platform for music creation in the league of the current MPC-line is incredible. And before anyone calls me a fanboy, know that I have a mountain of criticisms and complaints myself, but here I tend to be a glass-half-full sort of bloke.
By Straker Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:04 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Bradley Smith wrote:Now, with 2.11 my MPC One is worse than it was at 2.10. .

How so? :hmmm:

Straker wrote:Mpc is going from an Akai/Linn product to an Air product..

True, and I'd argue - it was absolutely for the better. Aside from Linn's initial offering those first few releases, I'm not sure just how much more he could have pushed the platform forward. Frankly what Akai/Air have accomplished is nothing short of astounding - to have such a fully featured platform for music creation in the league of the current MPC-line is incredible. And before anyone calls me a fanboy, know that I have a mountain of criticisms and complaints myself, but here I tend to be a glass-half-full sort of bloke.

I am also a fanboy with a mountain of criticism hahaha.
But it's true they could improve the sequencer a bit, it seems they took another direction and forget about it.
And some more LFO and a modulation matrix.
Somehow they should also satisfy the old school users.
And make more testing before the release of .1 .2 .3 and the sort.
Here comes the criticism.
Yep Mpc is truly a great tool now beside criticism. I really like to make music with it, fast and powerful.
By Monotremata Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:26 pm
EnochLight wrote:How so? :hmmm:

Have you not been paying attention, or skipping posts in threads, since the release came out both here and over at Gearspace??
By 40Beatz Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:31 pm
There's been Bugs on Every Version since 2.2 :lol:

Gotta roll wit the Punches.

If 2.11 is not workin properly, Its easy to go back to whatever version works
By EnochLight Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:41 pm
Monotremata wrote:
EnochLight wrote:How so? :hmmm:

Have you not been paying attention, or skipping posts in threads, since the release came out both here and over at Gearspace??

Honestly, I just don't have the time to read everything. All I can speak from is my own experience, and so far 2.11 isn't stopping me from producing. If others are experiencing show-stopping bugs, though - that sucks. Hopefully they'll get properly reported to Akai (and fixed) fast.

40Beatz wrote:There's been Bugs on Every Version since 2.2 :lol:

Gotta roll wit the Punches.

Yep! :nod: :lol:
By Straker Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 pm
Shite this opx4 is really really really interesting.
I lost my sleep.
Very good interface also.
It reminds me of Microfreak that I had and sold.
Actually better then Microfreak.
Shite it's still a long time before black Friday.
By TT_Lab Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:57 pm
Straker wrote:Shite this opx4 is really really really interesting.
I lost my sleep.
Very good interface also.
It reminds me of Microfreak that I had and sold.
Actually better then Microfreak.
Shite it's still a long time before black Friday.

:Sigh: :lol: