MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 am
Those are not bugs, these are clearly hardware related problems and you should contact Akai or the retailer you purchased from to look into how it can be remedied.

That said the first thing you should try is removing all attached disks and peripherals as there's a possibility it could be related to one of these (especially cheap USB hubs). If the problem persists with a 'virgin' MPC, get it replaced/repaired/refunded.

alleyg00p wrote:some bugs i've been experiencing as of late with my MPC Live with v2.11.8. i've reported them to Akai, thought i'd post here as well.

1. all physical controls - buttons, pads, knobs, everything except the touchscreen - become unresponsive out of nowhere. restarting the unit will fix it temporarily.

2. pads start triggering themselves at random, as well as pads triggering other pads at random. haven't found a fix for this yet, but it only happens 10% of the time. it seems to just go away on its own, i'm always dreading when it's gonna resurface lol

3. unit gets stuck on the MPC load screen on startup. holding the power button for about 10 seconds will forcibly power it down. usually starts fine after.

4. issues with midi in. i have Logic controlling clock, as well as my MPC 2500, and sometimes the Live will just not receive midi from one of them, or both of them. also, i use my prophet 8 as a midi controller for the Live via usb, and it will sometimes stop receiving from it, too. restarting will fix temporarily.

5. headphone jack has stopped working altogether. no physical damage or anything that i can see. i fix my gear all the time, if someone has the sauce on a part number for the headphone jack that'd be sick.

strangely, it worked like a charm for weeks after updating to 2.11.8. these issues came out of nowhere in the last two weeks or so.
By Mac808 Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:59 pm
16 levels step entry mode bug.

In summary, 16 levels don't work in List Edit mode note entry, only realtime overdub. List edit tracks which item you want to record Levels for, but doesn't record the per-step value.

P. 234 of the MPC Bible calls it an "oddity", but it's a bug. I looked in old manuals, the 16 levels step record feature appears to have been originally introduced in MPC-60 OS 3.1 (!)

The Akai tech called me on the phone and reproduced the bug with me. Then later, wrote back: "I am reaching out to follow up and confirm that this issue was escalated, in these situations, issues would be resolved in future firmware updates. "

Real step entry is coming!
By eLuSiVeMiTe Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 pm
Don't know if this can be classed as a bug.

I have a standalone template. 14 midi tracks over 2 midi din. All routing set up so I can sequence/play from my other keyboards.

When I open a standalone project in controller mode all the midi routings are automatically changed and I have to manually change them all back to the midi din outputs.

Then I have to change them all back when I return to standalone. What gives. Any way to stop this behaviour.
By Monotremata Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:40 pm
eLuSiVeMiTe wrote:Don't know if this can be classed as a bug.

I have a standalone template. 14 midi tracks over 2 midi din. All routing set up so I can sequence/play from my other keyboards.

When I open a standalone project in controller mode all the midi routings are automatically changed and I have to manually change them all back to the midi din outputs.

Then I have to change them all back when I return to standalone. What gives. Any way to stop this behaviour.

Thats 'normal'. It totally screws your MIDI setup when you go back and forth haha. I use an AMT8 with mine, and once I started using that, I never opened the software again. Even naming the ports the same between the MPC and the Mac (and using the AMT8), still rearranged things every time.
By kazakore Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:35 pm

Using Drum Programs doesn't work as expected across multiple tracks. If the same drums are in the same position in multiple tracks only the highest number track will play even when others are muted. Otherwise you just get a slight little click of the transient of the sample. Keygroup Programs seem to work as expected.

To test:
Load a drum Program and create a drum pattern on Track 1.
Copy the pattern of Track 1 to Track 2 and set to use same Program.
In Track Mutes mute Track1 and listen to Track 2. It plays normally.
Now mute Track 2 and listen to Track 1. You hear not quite silence but little clicks where each hit should be.

If there's something clever so you don't get doubled up drum hits, OK. But it's clearly not working as when a track is muted it should not still be preventing the other track from playing the hits, only if the track is active.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:10 am
kazakore wrote:2.11.8

Using Drum Programs doesn't work as expected across multiple tracks. If the same drums are in the same position in multiple tracks only the highest number track will play even when others are muted. Otherwise you just get a slight little click of the transient of the sample. Keygroup Programs seem to work as expected.

To test:
Now mute Track 2 and listen to Track 1. You hear not quite silence but little clicks where each hit should be.

If there's something clever so you don't get doubled up drum hits, OK. But it's clearly not working as when a track is muted it should not still be preventing the other track from playing the hits, only if the track is active.

Possible
Check polyphony

Or in preferences turn off instant track mutes.

Having that on the sound still plays but it's volume is dropped. Eats up polyphony. Took me a while to work out why it was happening to me.

Are we not allowed to call out akai in this thread. See my previous post has vanished.
By kazakore Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:23 am
eLuSiVeMiTe wrote:
kazakore wrote:2.11.8

To test:

Possible
Check polyphony

Or in preferences turn off instant track mutes.

Having that on the sound still plays but it's volume is dropped. Eats up polyphony. Took me a while to work out why it was happening to me.

Are we not allowed to call out akai in this thread. See my previous post has vanished.

Thanks. I posted this just before bed, had the unit less than one day. Falling asleep I felt fairly sure it was something to do with polyphony and at least the bug as described might be fixed by turning it off, but that would have stopped me from being able to do fast retriggered notes so wouldn't have been a suitable solution.

I've turned off Instant Mutes and set timing interval to 1/16 and it seems to have fixed the issue. Many thanks. Still feel this should work out of the box! But glad I now know how that works and it's best changed. Is this a global setting across the entire instrument and all projects or something I'm going to have to change for each one?
By Avasopht Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:33 am
Bug during save.

After saving a project, or project preview, the MPC starts playing the preview of the first project in saved-directory-1.

The workaround is to create a stub project that doesn't have a preview.
By Avasopht Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:59 am
Another bug (and this is a HUGE bug): when I go into the pad mixer and then change the program, new notes start getting played on other programs.

Undo cannot help you. Once this happens, the entire state of the session seems to be corrupted.

Looks like a critical bug to me.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:16 am
Avasopht wrote:Another bug (and this is a HUGE bug): when I go into the pad mixer and then change the program, new notes start getting played on other programs.

Undo cannot help you. Once this happens, the entire state of the session seems to be corrupted.

Can you provide a detailed step-by-step that consistently reproduces this? Please also confirm which MPC and exact firmware (or if on the computer, which MPC Software version, with computer OS version).
By Avasopht Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:45 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Can you provide a detailed step-by-step that consistently reproduces this? Please also confirm which MPC and exact firmware (or if on the computer, which MPC Software version, with computer OS version).

MPC Live 2, Firmware 2.11.8.

I'll see if I can create reproducible steps over the weekend (and also test this behaviour on the computer).
By kazakore Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:24 am
Avasopht wrote:Another bug (and this is a HUGE bug): when I go into the pad mixer and then change the program, new notes start getting played on other programs.

That's because you have just changed the Program assigned to the Track you are currently in. Select an unused Track first, or change Program by selecting the Track which uses it.
By classifiedhiphop Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:35 pm
did the upgrade to mpc sofware/firmware last week.. now it won't let me choose mpc as a plugin in protools. . i get the error. AAE error was encountered,, AAE Error - 14018 was encountered, . anyone know what i can do. thanks
By Avasopht Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:11 pm
kazakore wrote:

That's because you have just changed the Program assigned to the Track you are currently in. Select an unused Track first, or change Program by selecting the Track which uses it.

To be clear,

I'm talking about the mix view within the mixer where you can choose the mixer for MIDI, Audio, Programs, Buses, or the Master Bus, not changing a program on a track.

The mix screen should have only changed to the program mixer (which it did).
By kazakore Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:57 am
Avasopht wrote:
I'm talking about the mix view within the mixer where you can choose the mixer for MIDI, Audio, Programs, Buses, or the Master Bus, not changing a program on a track.

The mix screen should have only changed to the program mixer (which it did).

So am I. Look at the top of the screen, you have a pulldown list for both Program and Track in the Pad Mixer. Pretty much everywhere in the MPC it follows your Track>Pattern/Pad/KG for editing and this is something to be aware of and get used to. The Tracks/Program/Outputs etc mixers are rare exceptions to this.