MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Sun May 21, 2023 3:50 pm
Nutrisse wrote:I think I found a bug on the latest 2.11.10 - can someone else confirm?

1) Load two different keygroups
2) Assign first keygroup to track one
3) Assign second keygroup to track two
4) Transpose track two to whatever value from main screen
5) Have track one send all note data to track two, this way both tracks are layered

Issue:

The MPC is ignoring all track transpose values when using a track to control the track with the transpose applied.

Trk 2 has no actual recorded notes to transpose. Can’t transpose what’s not there. It’s not ignored, notes aren’t physically there in the ffp.

On trk2, keep that “send to 2” layering, overdub some trk2 notes, transpose trk2. You’ll notice the layering stays the same but the recorded trk2 notes get transposed, because there’s actual trk2 recorded notes.
By Lancerben Mon May 22, 2023 12:33 am
Problem with bugs is that it's not encouraging to make any big piece of music on it. It's fine for beats ideas and simple songs. Which is what I use it for. But again now I'm back to using it as a glorified midi controller using VSTs. The integration with my DAW is just too buggy. I have to try again to use midi to control it from my daw in standalone mode, but last time I tried, Midi bugs were unbearable.

Since I mostly use it as a controller now, I ordered a Osmose Expressive E Keyboard Synth and this Keyboard is getting off my Desk. I'll set it up for secondary use.
By Nutrisse Mon May 22, 2023 1:35 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Nutrisse wrote:I think I found a bug on the latest 2.11.10 - can someone else confirm?

1) Load two different keygroups
2) Assign first keygroup to track one
3) Assign second keygroup to track two
4) Transpose track two to whatever value from main screen
5) Have track one send all note data to track two, this way both tracks are layered

Issue:

The MPC is ignoring all track transpose values when using a track to control the track with the transpose applied.

Trk 2 has no actual recorded notes to transpose. Can’t transpose what’s not there. It’s not ignored, notes aren’t physically there in the ffp.

On trk2, keep that “send to 2” layering, overdub some trk2 notes, transpose trk2. You’ll notice the layering stays the same but the recorded trk2 notes get transposed, because there’s actual trk2 recorded notes.

Makes total sense when put into these terms, and I wish the manual went in-depth regarding things like this!
By Lampdog Mon May 22, 2023 4:32 pm
Manuals (these days) usually just gloss over the features, they don't go into methods, combinations of features to get something done. I remember going through my ASR-10 and Triton Extreme manual decades ago and even my Kronos2 manual, they are VERY well written and easily understandable imo. MPC 4k manual was great as well. MPC X manual, is a different story. It still provides feature/options explanations.
By Avasopht Tue May 23, 2023 10:51 am
Lancerben wrote:Problem with bugs is that it's not encouraging to make any big piece of music on it. It's fine for beats ideas and simple songs. Which is what I use it for. But again now I'm back to using it as a glorified midi controller using VSTs. The integration with my DAW is just too buggy. I have to try again to use midi to control it from my daw in standalone mode, but last time I tried, Midi bugs were unbearable.

Akai has to be careful. They've validated the concept very well, and they could easily be upended by someone like Korg, Roland or Yamaha following suit.

Roland is almost there, but they went in a little half-cocked.

Zen-Core seems to be built on a general-purpose programming model.

The MV-1 and MC-707 are strong-ish contenders. If they had a richer UI for managing arrangements and a touch-screen interface, while their XV-5080 expansions don't match up to Fabric, they are more than good enough to threaten the MPC if they went for feature parity.

I'd still choose the MPC over them (I like Fabric, what the MPC has and its workflow), but I also value stability enough for me to consider switching.

Akai needs to think carefully about how seriously they take stability and those little workflow glitches.
By Monotremata Wed May 24, 2023 10:05 pm
Lancerben wrote:Problem with bugs is that it's not encouraging to make any big piece of music on it. It's fine for beats ideas and simple songs. Which is what I use it for. But again now I'm back to using it as a glorified midi controller using VSTs. The integration with my DAW is just too buggy. I have to try again to use midi to control it from my daw in standalone mode, but last time I tried, Midi bugs were unbearable.

Since I mostly use it as a controller now, I ordered a Osmose Expressive E Keyboard Synth and this Keyboard is getting off my Desk. I'll set it up for secondary use.

I decided to try and see how easy it was to "transfer" something from the MPC into Cubase last week, and will probably only use it for 'sketching' now. Took the time to setup a big 24 channel template to record MIDI from the MPC, and completely forgot you can do it all with one track and 'dissolve' the MIDI into separate tracks/channels afterwards. I setup the input transformer, routing, etc..

Works great. Set all the MPC's tracks to MIDI programs, sync Cubase to the MPC MIDI Clock, hit record and go. Since the sampler in the MPC doesn't really do anything, it takes no time at all to convert a keygroup to a Halion preset, and if you chop your breaks into individual samples, Groove Agent is just as easy (although slicing with 'pad mapping' is just as quick in it). Takes me less than an hour from start to finish now with a 16-20 track project, including converting everything to Halion/Groove Agent instruments.
By Kwerky Sat May 27, 2023 7:27 am
Avasopht wrote:Akai has to be careful. They've validated the concept very well, and they could easily be upended by someone like Korg, Roland or Yamaha following suit.

Roland is almost there, but they went in a little half-cocked.
...8<...
Akai needs to think carefully about how seriously they take stability and those little workflow glitches.

Definitely. And now Ableton has pushed out their own MPE controller & standalone unit.
By Howretings Mon May 29, 2023 12:07 am
This is minor but bothers me in standalone on the mpc one.

Holding main to select track takes a bit too long imo. Compare it with holding menu, the option to choose is much faster when being held. It’s not a deal breaker but a slight inconsistency in UI and I’m not sure if it’s intentional
By Kwerky Tue May 30, 2023 10:26 pm
Looks like 2.12 is out. Support for MPC One +

MPC 2.12 Firmware Update
Firmware

This release is for MPC One+, MPC X Special Edition, MPC Key 61, MPC One, MPC Live
Mk2, MPC X and MPC Live hardware.
Downloading the Update
To download the 2.12 Firmware Update, navigate to the MPC product page and click on
Downloads to find the Mac and PC download links:
• MPC One+ product page
• MPC X SE product page
• MPC Live product page
• MPC Live Mk2 product page
• MPC X product page
• MPC One product page
• MPC Key 61 product page
For instructions on installing the update, please visit our support page here.
New features:
MPC now supports MPC One+ hardware.
Known issues:
The following issues have been confirmed by Akai Professional to be present in this and
previous versions of MPC firmware. We are actively working on a resolution to these issues.
• In some cases, MIDI note-off messages can be sent to the wrong MIDI channel when
received from multiple sources simultaneously.
By THA-REAPER Wed May 31, 2023 4:18 am
Minor issue. Jura spanning at the bottom in 2.10.11

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section as if it's plugin related or is it MPC software related.

Anyway. It's like a mile long. It repeats a couple screens.
By 83dude Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:23 am
THA-REAPER wrote:Minor issue. Jura spanning at the bottom in 2.10.11

:WTF:

From AIR Jura page:

AIR JURA is designed to support VST 2 and VST3 Plugin hosts as well as full support for AU, AAX, and MPC/FORCE Standalone systems. This software requires an internet connection. You will need to install Akai’s MPC desktop software version 2.11 or higher to use desktop versions of the plugins.

That should fix it. :wink:
By megamers Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:18 pm
I noticed a bug regarding audio tracks in song mode

If i stop a song during a sequence that has an audio track, when i press "play start" to restart the song it will play the first sequence AND in the same time the audio track of the sequence where i stopped the play.

For example: the fifth sequence of my song contains an audio track. If i stop the song during the fifth sequence when i press "play start" to play the song from the start it will play the first sequence along with audio track of the fifth sequence.

anyone noticed it?
By enzyme Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:31 pm
Bug in 2.12, but has also been there in previous versions, I've noticed it on and off for ages now.

If a track has MIDI content but no program selected, it 'sometimes' automatically gets assigned a program, which in turn sometimes messes up playback (think double bumping drums, or weird extra notes). I just saw it earlier and even if I unselect the program for that track across multiple sequences, then save, then it gets reassigned on next load. After it happens, the only fix is to clear the track and lose the MIDI info, or delete the MIDI info.
By jongrover Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:53 pm
Issue:
I don't know if this started in version 12.11 or was always present; recording audio tracks only works if MPC is using its own internal clock, whenever I start using an external clock and MPC is slave then audio tracks will not stay armed and properly record the incoming audio.

My setup:
ERM Multiclock as external master clock sent to MPC 1 midi input.
Under MPC Menu > Preferences > Midi / Sync, I have the Input ports for MPC 1 enabled for global, control, track. Additionally I have Sync Receive set to receive Midi Clock and Receive MMC messages box is checked.

Actions to duplicate the issue:
1. press start on the external master clock (ERM Multiclock in my case) then the MPC will start playing at the correct bpm as expected.
2. Create a new audio track and arm it.
3. Press REC.

What will happen is the red circle to show the track is armed will turn grey and no audio is recorded.
However if I unplug the MPC 1 midi cable and allow the MPC to be master and use its own internal clock, I can hit STOP, arm the audio track again, press REC, PLAY START and the audio will now record correctly.