MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By johnnytravels Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:38 pm
I just had several big I’m just one session on my MPC One:
1. They qlink overlay froze and I couldn’t use the touch screen anymore. I had to restart the unit. Later when it froze again I turned it off.
2. Qlinks 2-4 became unresponsive and did not register any more values. I had to restart the device. When it happened a second time, I found out that switching to Menu restored their functionality.
3. The touchscreen became unresponsive. I had to restart the device. No other solution found.

I really want to know what everyone thinks is the last stable version of the MPC OS? 2.11 (.8) feels like a beta version or 2.0 release. Can I open programs saved in 2.11 in an earlier version? When did Flavor get introduced? I really like that plugin. When exactly did we get the new save dialogue (which I also like)?

Thank you so much for your input!!
By Monotremata Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:54 pm
johnnytravels wrote:
I really want to know what everyone thinks is the last stable version of the MPC OS? 2.11 (.8) feels like a beta version or 2.0 release. Can I open programs saved in 2.11 in an earlier version? When did Flavor get introduced? I really like that plugin. When exactly did we get the new save dialogue (which I also like)?

Thank you so much for your input!!

2.11 was a shitshow from the start it just gets worse if you go back. Anybody remember the one where samples were clicking and popping unless you turned all your keygroups to mono or poly (cant remember which one was the solution)? If you look at the timeline, the minute they added 'support' for the Keys, the OS started going crazy.. I thought these were all the same hardware. Adding a new flavor shouldn't really disrupt things the way they did. Should be the same OS and function the same on every machine.

2.10 was fairly solid, its where mines still at. But you lose the synth plugins, Flavor, the Tuner and the new save dialog. 2.10 is the farthest back you can go if you plan on using a USB audio interface, and 2.8 (I think) is where USB MIDI interfaces were added. I ran most of the 2.11 builds for a bit before going back, and none of the projects I worked on and saved in 2.11 had any trouble opening in 2.10. But, keep in mind, I dont use a lot of the built in plugins, and I never use the synths so I didnt have much to really lose.
By johnnytravels Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:46 pm
Monotremata wrote:2.10 was fairly solid, its where mines still at. But you lose the synth plugins, Flavor, the Tuner and the new save dialog. 2.10 is the farthest back you can go if you plan on using a USB audio interface, and 2.8 (I think) is where USB MIDI interfaces were added. I ran most of the 2.11 builds for a bit before going back, and none of the projects I worked on and saved in 2.11 had any trouble opening in 2.10. But, keep in mind, I dont use a lot of the built in plugins, and I never use the synths so I didnt have much to really lose.

I followed your advice, went back to 2.10.1 and will stay there for as long as possible.
Glad I didn't buy any of the new plugins and I definitely won't until there's a stable version with plugin support (even then I may be hesitant). I am mostly flipping samples and occasionally use the default Bassline bass and sub on some of my loops with airier samples, so I am really good. If I need 'vinyl wobble' and master compression, I can hook it up to my actual SP 303 or my 404mk2 ;)
By Parialated Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:46 am
wish i read this before updating, and having a mpc live 2 that doesnt respond when using buttons, couldnt even change the bpm, or change to main or menu wtf?!?!
By Monotremata Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:37 am
Parialated wrote:wish i read this before updating, and having a mpc live 2 that doesnt respond when using buttons, couldnt even change the bpm, or change to main or menu wtf?!?!

You're not stuck, you can always go back and flash an older OS.
Don't go back too far though, this thing wasn't even finished when it was initially released. :lol:
By Parialated Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:32 pm
it seemed to work after 3 restarts though... so im not gonna bother going backwards, although its probably the smart thing to do
By MPC-Tutor Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:05 pm
fancy_pance wrote:New Live II user here. I’m finding that a bug related to the Insert Bars command in order to change a sequence’s time signature is still a thing as of 2.11.8

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211580&p=1845254&hilit=Insert+bars#p1845254

Super annoying considering that changing seq time sig is already a hacky workaround, and now even the hacky workaround is broken! :x

Actually the issue is related to the 'BEFORE BARS' parameter. If you don't touch it and leave it at the default 'before bar 1', it actually inserts the new bars 'after' bar 1. Most likely it is actually set 'behind the scenes' to 'before bar: 2' but the display says '1'.

The workaround is to tap on 'before bar:1', change it to 2 and then change it back to '1' again. This seems to work for me. i.e.

Empty project, seq 1.
Pencil > insert bars
No of Bars: 1
Time sig: 7/4
Set 'before bar' to '2' and then back to '1'

Result: 1 bar of 7/4 inserted before bar 1.

This only seems to be affecting the initial insert bars operation as I can't recreate this in any subsequent 'insert bars', even if I leave 'before bars' untouched it seems to be working as expected.

BTW, another way to create a 7/4 sequence is to temporarily change preferences > project defaults > time signature. Or use the MPC Software where you can cdouble click the timeline to add time sigs (maybe create some blank sequences at various time sigs to use as templates).
By fancy_pance Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:36 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
fancy_pance wrote:New Live II user here. I’m finding that a bug related to the Insert Bars command in order to change a sequence’s time signature is still a thing as of 2.11.8

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211580&p=1845254&hilit=Insert+bars#p1845254

Super annoying considering that changing seq time sig is already a hacky workaround, and now even the hacky workaround is broken! :x

Actually the issue is related to the 'BEFORE BARS' parameter. If you don't touch it and leave it at the default 'before bar 1', it actually inserts the new bars 'after' bar 1. Most likely it is actually set 'behind the scenes' to 'before bar: 2' but the display says '1'.

The workaround is to tap on 'before bar:1', change it to 2 and then change it back to '1' again. This seems to work for me. i.e.

Empty project, seq 1.
Pencil > insert bars
No of Bars: 1
Time sig: 7/4
Set 'before bar' to '2' and then back to '1'

Result: 1 bar of 7/4 inserted before bar 1.

This only seems to be affecting the initial insert bars operation as I can't recreate this in any subsequent 'insert bars', even if I leave 'before bars' untouched it seems to be working as expected.

BTW, another way to create a 7/4 sequence is to temporarily change preferences > project defaults > time signature. Or use the MPC Software where you can cdouble click the timeline to add time sigs (maybe create some blank sequences at various time sigs to use as templates).

You are exactly right. Thank you, I can work with this! Btw I’ve been enjoying getting to know my Live with the MPC bible. Great stuff. Appreciate all you do, Tutor!
By larryd77 Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:53 pm
Monotremata wrote:or are you just seeing Pad Perform in all its lovely glory highlighting every octave of the note you're playing? With keygroups (and MIDI programs and I believe the plugins) Pad Perform is on all the time. Even when set to 'Custom' with no scale or anything selected, Pad Perform will light up ALL of the octaves of the note you're playing. If you press the pad to play a C2, its also going to light up C3. Some folks on the FB group didn't understand why I keep complaining about Pad Perform and this is part of why.

Still an issue in 2.11.8.

If you turn "off" Pad Perform using the custom setting, all pads become garish bright red with octave triggering like you mention. It also mostly ignores Pad Color settings in this state (and plugins don't even allow editing Pad Color so you get to bask in a flood of maximum brightness there too). I am considering going back to 2.10 also, but the big question: will they ever fix this?? I don't want to stay on 2.10 forever.

Please just give a proper OFF option for Pad Perform (which turns it off completely and resolves these Pad Color issues).
By Monotremata Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:35 pm
larryd77 wrote:If you turn "off" Pad Perform using the custom setting, all pads become garish bright red with octave triggering like you mention. It also mostly ignores Pad Color settings in this state (and plugins don't even allow editing Pad Color so you get to bask in a flood of maximum brightness there too). I am considering going back to 2.10 also, but the big question: will they ever fix this?? I don't want to stay on 2.10 forever.

Please just give a proper OFF option for Pad Perform (which turns it off completely and resolves these Pad Color issues).

Yeah the colors in Pad Perform are basically the 'high velocity'/volume 127 color always on. I always used the 'MPC velocity' settings or whatever its called, the default green/yellow/red colors based on how hard you hit it. When Pad Perform is on, everything goes to Red. It will do the same thing if you change it to any other colors, it picks whatever color is at 'the top' and leaves it on.

I've tried messing with the settings in the actual XPM file, but it seems like the table or whatever they use for Pad Perform only has six entries in it, and they switched the 'Off' entry with 'Custom'. I was trying to change the numbers around to see if I could get it to turn off but nothing has worked yet.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:42 pm
Controller mode. Exporting expansions.

Can't let the screen switch off as the software craps out. Halfway through 180gb. Cheers akai.
By giacecco Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:40 am
This was submitted to AKAI earlier today.

Bug: MIDI messages from external MIDI controllers to send to external MIDI devices are processed only if the respective MIDI track is selected

This was observed on an MPC X standalone running firmware 2.11.8. To reproduce:

1) setup an external MIDI controller to send an abs CC value, e.g. using a fader
2) setup an external MIDI device to receive a CC and make so that you can hear the effects of the parameter changing (e.g. a Hologram Microcosm uses CC 7 to control the "mix" parameter)
3) create a MIDI track for the device at (2)
4) go to MIDI Control and create a new mapping for the MIDI track created at (3) as source, the CC number to test as target (e.g. 7), and learn the fader at (1), setting it with the appropriate type (e.g. ABS CC)
5) select the track created at (3), play something and move the fader, to see that the messages are correctly forwarded from the MIDI controller to the Microcosm
6) change track, and see how the messages are no longer forwarded

This happens whatever the monitor setting is for the track at (2): IN, AUTO, MERGE or OFF.

Am I missing something or this is actually a bug? Thanks!

G.
By jamos Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:49 pm
Skip step 4) and you should be fine; it is unnecessary.
By alleyg00p Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 am
some bugs i've been experiencing as of late with my MPC Live with v2.11.8. i've reported them to Akai, thought i'd post here as well.

1. all physical controls - buttons, pads, knobs, everything except the touchscreen - become unresponsive out of nowhere. restarting the unit will fix it temporarily.

2. pads start triggering themselves at random, as well as pads triggering other pads at random. haven't found a fix for this yet, but it only happens 10% of the time. it seems to just go away on its own, i'm always dreading when it's gonna resurface lol

3. unit gets stuck on the MPC load screen on startup. holding the power button for about 10 seconds will forcibly power it down. usually starts fine after.

4. issues with midi in. i have Logic controlling clock, as well as my MPC 2500, and sometimes the Live will just not receive midi from one of them, or both of them. also, i use my prophet 8 as a midi controller for the Live via usb, and it will sometimes stop receiving from it, too. restarting will fix temporarily.

5. headphone jack has stopped working altogether. no physical damage or anything that i can see. i fix my gear all the time, if someone has the sauce on a part number for the headphone jack that'd be sick.

strangely, it worked like a charm for weeks after updating to 2.11.8. these issues came out of nowhere in the last two weeks or so.