MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Rank31 Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 am
Let’s have a dedicated thread for this fantastic plug-in.

I don’t know if you spent time on it but my first comment is that I find a bit strange that the init preset doesn’t produce a simple sine wave.
By hyena Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:54 pm
yeah, i find that strange too, anyway, fiddling with the parameters adjust to an almost pure sine (formant, pw etc...).
i find that the waveshaping section is really fascinating, and i like the fact they made it sine-based only, no other waveforms available. it adds a touch of west-coast\buchla style to it. what i'm not getting are two things:
1)fm filtering and fm shaping, i'm not sure what they are doing and in which case they start doing something
2)global fm scaling seems broken to me, i supposed it was a global\macro control that scaled all the fm indices (amount of frequency modulation) so that you can reduce the harshness when needed. it doesn't seem to work, am i missing something?
3)i dont get why the INIT preset starts with almost all modulation slots already filled up and active..it makes things harder if you want to start from scratch. i suggest starting by disabling all modulation slots when you start from scratch, saving a new custom INIT and use that as template, then enable and remap the modulations one by one. keeping the first (Velocity to operator level) as they are seems a good idea though, even if its better if you save them with 0 amount in your custom INIT preset.
anyway, this thing is fun as hell, too bad i only got a few days of demo left...
By Big Tick Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:12 pm
Check my 2 intro videos here:

They cover FM filtering / shaping and global FM scaling.

And yes the INIT preset has default modulation routings assigned for some reason. Just clear them all (it's a bit tedious the first time) and save that as your own init patch.
By bitermc Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:58 pm
I'm curious about what will happen once the 10 day trial expires... Will it stop working completely, or will it remain minimally functional with annoying limitations?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 pm
bitermc wrote:I'm curious about what will happen once the 10 day trial expires... Will it stop working completely, or will it remain minimally functional with annoying limitations?

I don't know 100% for sure, but I believe it will simply no longer load to a track, so any existing projects that use it will load and then pop up a warning about an inactive plugin, and those OPx4 tracks will have no plugin assigned.
By jabberwalky Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 am
I'm working on a video for this one. Likely just screen capture the plugin in controller mode. Mainly focusing on the features up front, then sounds I've been creating. Also, be warned, their "INIT" patch is super goofy and wrong.

Is anyone else noticing that do get a pure sine, off the bat Matrix 1.1 slot has to be around 5-7% instead of 0?

If anyone wants my INIT SINE patch, here's the link.
https://ufile.io/0wm73orl
By Rank31 Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:30 pm
jabberwalky wrote:I'm working on a video for this one. Likely just screen capture the plugin in controller mode. Mainly focusing on the features up front, then sounds I've been creating. Also, be warned, their "INIT" patch is super goofy and wrong.

Is anyone else noticing that do get a pure sine, off the bat Matrix 1.1 slot has to be around 5-7% instead of 0?

If anyone wants my INIT SINE patch, here's the link.
https://ufile.io/0jnqrfsi

I tried to obtain this famous sine during 2 hours last night without success. Thank you for the trick. I will try it this night.
By fmq75 Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 pm
I‘m a bit surprised (if not disappointed) that this 150 bucks instruemtn really has not THAT many presets compared to i.e.the (free!) hype synth.I‘m currently working my way through all Hype presets (first time ever) and THREE evenings in,i‘m still far from finish.And i‘m quite impressed to be honest,no idea why so many people stomp on the quality of the plugins (the Odyssey is shit though,i have one and its not even worth to mention both in one sentence).The OPx4 has so much potential (what i heard/tried myself doesn‘t even scratch the surface i guess) but i don‘t see myself doing a lot of sounddesign with it.Not much fun to me jumping between 20-30 edit pages on that small screen.
By jabberwalky Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:32 am
fmq75 wrote: but i don‘t see myself doing a lot of sounddesign with it.Not much fun to me jumping between
20-30 edit pages on that small screen.

Guess you never used a Dx7 then? :wink:
By KaoticShock Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:39 am
fmq75 wrote:I‘m a bit surprised (if not disappointed) that this 150 bucks instruemtn really has not THAT many presets compared to i.e.the (free!) hype synth.I‘m currently working my way through all Hype presets (first time ever) and THREE evenings in,i‘m still far from finish.And i‘m quite impressed to be honest,no idea why so many people stomp on the quality of the plugins (the Odyssey is shit though,i have one and its not even worth to mention both in one sentence).The OPx4 has so much potential (what i heard/tried myself doesn‘t even scratch the surface i guess) but i don‘t see myself doing a lot of sounddesign with it.Not much fun to me jumping between 20-30 edit pages on that small screen.

First, in regards to the HYPE synth, I always felt that it was a bit of a Gimmick. (1500 presets yet no 128 General MIDI??????) Also, MANY of the presets are just duplicates with slightly different names (some of them were even duplicated in Fabric, which is downright terrible) for example "Analog Pad" "Warm Analog Pad" "Soft Rich Pad" and "Warm Pad" are all presets with similar names, sounding pretty similar, at least give me some ethnic instruments or woodwinds for variation!

I think that the point of OPx-4 is to create your own presets, which is why there aren't as many of them. I agree that I wish there were more presets, tho.

"no idea why so many people stomp on the quality of the plugins" Well, I did a comprehensive A/B test of most of the sounds in Fabric compared to my MC-101, and most of them weren't even close (I tried everything from Pianos and EPs to Brass, guitars and mallets, and the MC-101 sounded better most of the time, which is not really that good considering that the plugs cost $499 for the bundle and the MC-101 is currently only $50 more at $550, I actually only paid $500 for mine since I got it 2 years ago before the price went up). For me, the advantage of the plugins is the ability to automate parameters and use them in Standalone mode. I wasn't expecting Komplete or Omnisphere sound quality from these plugins, but I think a lot of people were and that's why they're upset (which to me is a bit unfair seeing as how there is no Standalone version of Omnisphere and Komplete doesn't run on Maschine Plus in standalone mode).

Back to OP-x4, I agree about the menu diving and the potential (There's a Clarinet preset in there that sounds incredible!), but its honestly no worse than using the Reface DX that I just got. When I have time, I'm going to do a comprehensive deep dive comparison of the OP-x4 to the Reface DX. They both have 4 operators and a mod matrix so I think it will be interesting.
By fmq75 Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:49 pm
jabberwalky wrote:
fmq75 wrote: but i don‘t see myself doing a lot of sounddesign with it.Not much fun to me jumping between
20-30 edit pages on that small screen.

Guess you never used a Dx7 then? :wink:

Does a SY77 count or even worse...an FS1R... ;) Well,i don`t want that kind of masochism in my life anymore :lol:

I jumped on the train and bought it now.Do i"need" it? I don`t think so.Do i want it?Hell,yes :mrgreen:

@KaoticShock

You are right regarding lot of similar Hype patches and the fact there are not really GM sounds like brass,guitars etc.But i`m not looking for this type of sounds and i found a lot of great sounding Hype presets anyway.Yes,they use some tricks like compressor and quite a few fx but that doesn`t matter because it just speeds up my workflow when they are THAT much ready to use.I had no love for Hype before but it`s definitely my favorite now on mpc (well,besides OP4 of course).I just wish i could tag or mark favorites...i mean...ANYTHING.I did save all the stuff i like for later use but it`s just all in one folder now (because i want to have quick access from the"user"area and that one doesn`t allow more folder...as anyone here most probably know).
By KaoticShock Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:57 am
@fmq75

I'm currently on 2.11. Out of the 16 favorites Pages, the first one is for Fabric, the Second one is for the OP-x4 and the third is for the Hype. (I also have a few more HYPE presets since I have more than 16 favorite HYPE presets) I still love the Hype, even with all of its basic goodness, and I agree, there are definitely some gems in there (I actually made a beat today using a preset from the "Summer Leads" section, seemed like an appropriate place to start haha), I still havent even gone through all presets, sounds like you have done the deep dive! Fabric and OPx-4 are definitely my new favorites tho.

I'm liking all these new videos on OPx-4! Thanks for making them and sharing!
By fmq75 Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:43 am
I love that you can edit the graphics,first thing i‘ve done is to lower the brightness of all background images :mrgreen: Colors,values,knobs etc pop out more now.I don‘t know where AIRs obsession comes from, to make many things as bright as possible (i hate bassline and tube synth in this regard)